• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Replicating to a Cinema One

Steven

Hi,

I just got a Cinema One and was going to start replication from my 3U server, but when I go to begin the process, it says that I cannot, because the two are on a different software version. I know that software upgrades are usually done automatically, but is there something I can do to make this happen?

I have a message in to my dealer, but I wanted to pose the question here, too.

Thanks, Steven

The Cinema One cannot be linked to Premiere Line components (1U/3U), it will only link to one additional C1. Given that, I do not think you will be able to replicate to a Cinema One.

Jim

So can you replicate between an "old" C1 and a "new" C1? I would think that these two would have same issue.

John

My understanding is you cannot. The old C1 was compatible with the what is now referred to as the "Premiere" line.

Jim

You can replicate from a Premier line to a new Cinema One. I did it a few weeks ago. They do have to be at the same version though. Once that was done the replication could take place. It will even replicate if the two do not have the same amount of space. It will give a warning message but you can continue the process.

glr is correct, you can replicate from a premier unit to a new Cinema One. This was done to facilitate people who are moving from older 5U units into a new Cinema One, but will work with any premier server. While capacity constraints are going to make it interesting to replicate content from a 3U to a Cinema One, it can be done.

Replication always requires source and destination servers to be on the same version.

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies. So on my original question, is there a way for ME to get the two units on the same software version? I haven't been able to find a way, and I know that Kaleidescape is the one who usually auto-updates software.

Thanks, Steven

Sorry Steven, obviously bad info on my part. I have not tried it directly and the discussion I had with a particular support person indicated they would not talk to each other. My bad, and thanks to those that corrected the info.:eek:

Jim

Thanks for all of the replies. So on my original question, is there a way for ME to get the two units on the same software version? I haven't been able to find a way, and I know that Kaleidescape is the one who usually auto-updates software.

Pretty sure the answer is no, YOU can't do it, but I'm also pretty sure that if you email support that they can make this happen for you.

--Donnie

grl-fti,

When you replicate, does music go first? I want to be sure that I can get all of my music on, because when I run out of space, it will be the hardest to piece together.

Thanks, Steven

It replicates in chronological order, newest titles first.

You can take your movie collection, move it to the trash, then start replication, then move it back out of the trash. That will force all the music to transfer first.

That makes me a little nervous. How long or what criteria do things stay in the trash. I see I have one movie in there that I deleted recently, but I don't see others that I've deleted in the past. If I did that, would it also transfer the contents of the trash, up until the C1 was full?

I'm willing - just apprehensive.....

Thanks Again, Steven

They should remain in the trash until either you remove them from the trash, or until space is needed for imports.

Jim

Jim is correct. Also, replication will not copy titles that are in the trash. Just don't import titles while things are in the trash and you will be fine. That said, when you have the server set as the source during a replication, you cannot import to it, nor can you watch any titles on that server so there is little chance of a mishap during this process.

Sounds like Mr. P answered all of your questions and has provided other useful info.

When I first hooked up the C1 it was not at the same version as the 5U. For one reason or another I powered it off and when on to something else. When I powered it back up it automatically updated the software so I was able to continue the replication.

Best bet is to email Tech Support on this to get it updated.

The system will have to reboot for new software versions to take effect and will wait until a long period of inactivity to do so unless you force it to restart, so it may have already downloaded an update and just need to restart. You can check the web interface for your system and see what version it is on and when it was updated.

The system will have to reboot for new software versions to take effect and will wait until a long period of inactivity to do so unless you force it to restart, so it may have already downloaded an update and just need to restart. You can check the web interface for your system and see what version it is on and when it was updated.

Since I just received my new C1 on Friday, I can give some insight. The only thing I can find so far in the web interface is an import log. No setup, no settings, no version detail.

I did notice you can edit movie details through the import log, but the only button is Clean-Up, which deletes the import log. Not sure how one would edit the movie once you delete the import log, but I haven't had a home video I've needed to edit yet in my imports, nor do I wish to delete the log and see.

There is an extensive set of setting menu's not found on the premier line, but here's something different I noticed with the updates. I was running through my imports using just the web import log and suddenly the web page lost communication. I had just started some store downloads and noticed it was paused as well. The TV was occupied so I did not check the OSD, but I figured it had locked. I pulled power and let it reboot.

It came back up to the latest version and the import log said the disc import had a system restart before completion and the download had paused for movie guide software update.

So it appears a movie from the store can trigger an immediate software download and reboot, even while a disc is being imported through the drive. It may have been in a partial reboot while the disc was finishing, with my haste to pull power I'll never know.

Kevin D.

If you want to edit details of a movie or album from the import log click on the title that you want edit. When that title comes up then click on "edit movie details" and you can now update details including changing the cover art.

John

If you want to edit details of a movie or album from the import log click on the title that you want edit. When that title comes up then click on "edit movie details" and you can now update details including changing the cover art.

John

Right, but what happens when you hit the clean-up button that deletes the import log? Does it leave the ones with no info?

Kevin D.

I don't have a clean-up button but instead a "clear" button at the very bottom of the log. I assume this is the same function. I haven't ever cleared the log I just keep letting imports pile up.

If you are worried that if you clear the log you may not be able to edit the movies - this will not be a problem since you can edit movies details from the movies tab in the same way.

I hope I am answering your question on this.

John

Back