• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Replicate off dead 5U

Mr.Poindexter

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I have a 5U server from a client that is dead. Replacing power supplies has not worked. I think I need to get him into another server. The problem is, how do I get his content off this unit? I don't want him to have to rip 5TB worth of DVD and CD over again - especially as he has no bulk loader. My client has eyesight issues and so upgrading to HD doesn't really have value and thus I don't expect him to get a vault.

Is there somebody who has a 5U chassis that is functional enough to replicate content off some drives? Given the normal transfer rates, I suspect it would take about 5-6 days to complete the transfer.

Also, it is my understanding that since the newer Cinema One units were not able to couple with a premier line, I would not be able to replicate his content onto a second generation Cinema One. Is that still the case? Or did they have an exception for that for people upgrading from 5U into the Cinema One line that allowed replication? It has been a while since I have dealt with a 5U or a Cinema One.

Replication issue

I have some spare 1U servers that I have refurbished if he is interested in switching. I put new power supplies in both, doubled up the ram modules and new system battery. Completely blew out insides with high power blowers. Zero dust. Will let them go cheap or loan you one. Whatever works for you.

I have a 5U server from a client that is dead. Replacing power supplies has not worked. I think I need to get him into another server. The problem is, how do I get his content off this unit? I don't want him to have to rip 5TB worth of DVD and CD over again - especially as he has no bulk loader. My client has eyesight issues and so upgrading to HD doesn't really have value and thus I don't expect him to get a vault.

Is there somebody who has a 5U chassis that is functional enough to replicate content off some drives? Given the normal transfer rates, I suspect it would take about 5-6 days to complete the transfer.

Also, it is my understanding that since the newer Cinema One units were not able to couple with a premier line, I would not be able to replicate his content onto a second generation Cinema One. Is that still the case? Or did they have an exception for that for people upgrading from 5U into the Cinema One line that allowed replication? It has been a while since I have dealt with a 5U or a Cinema One.

We have a few working 5U chassis.

If you trade up the server to a cinema one (2nd gen) then yes you can replicate the content to it. However, any players they have will not be compatible with the cinema one.

Mike, did you find another 5U to use in replication? (You can PM me if easier.)

Jim

I have not but my client has not yet decided to purchase a new server.

I only asked because I'm still trying to locate a working 5U in your area from among our existing clients. I'm still awaiting a response from two owners, and if they're willing I'll send them your way.

Jim

Question: What does increasing the RAM in a server unit provide?

I have some spare 1U servers that I have refurbished if he is interested in switching. I put new power supplies in both, doubled up the ram modules and new system battery. Completely blew out insides with high power blowers. Zero dust. Will let them go cheap or loan you one. Whatever works for you.

I have noticed quicker response time when accessing my system via my computer. I have 8 1U servers and at times it will be slow to pull up a home screen via IP address. This has cut that time in half at least.

Back