• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

replacing 5u server drives

Jplim

I've run out of space on my 5U server and need to upgrade. Currently I have 7x400gb drives and have the remaining 5 drives empty. I have purchased 12x 750gb drives from eBay (confirmed that they were all from the same 5u server) and am planning on swapping my entire 7x400gb current setup.

My question is, for the blurays that I have currently installed in my 5u server, with the disc sitting in my m700 vault, would these need to be manually reloaded onto the new 12x750gb drives or would it happen automatically? I have a 1u server as well within my network...is there anyway to determine which movies/music are on the 5u server? Anything else I need to know about doing this swap?

Thanks.

JP

If you are planning to replicate the 5U content, then nothing would need to be reloaded. Depending on whether you have a second 5U chassis available, or are stepping through the 1U, would determine how streamlined a process that is. If you are not replicating, then there would be an option on the vault and in the WebUI to re-import any Blu-Rays not currently in your library after swapping disc sets. Once you click the link or hit OK then it will do the work automatically.

The fastest way to check what is stored where is to either temporarily split your servers into separate systems, or just turn the 1U off, and then see what is left. The disc vault tab will also show which titles might need re-importing.

Anything else? Make sure the server is off when swapping drives or you're looking at a fast way to break both arrays. That, and replicate if you can (1T/day is still faster then re-importing.)

Transepoch,

Thank you for your response.

Currently, I only have 242gb of space left on my 1U and my 5U total space is 2.8TB (although I think only 2.4tb is available to use) so I don't think I can replicate my entire 5U library onto my 1U server. I guess I can replicate the DVDs on my 5U onto my 1U and then just reload the blurays from the old 5U onto the new 5U drives through the webUI? Does this make sense?

BTW: how do I replicate content from my 5U to my 1U?

Thanks.

JP

Not knowing how your 1U is configured, you could likely replicate the 1U to the new 5U and then replicate from the old 5U to the 1U, but that makes for two replication steps. (As I stop to think of it, and do the math, 1TB/day of replication really isn't all that much faster than what I get on BD importing from a vault...) Probably depends on what you want to have available and how quickly. Also would depend on your mix of media, as 242GB is only about 30-60 DVDs for budgeting purposes, so you may not have enough space for that clean a split.

You would need [your] dealer to enable the replication option on the servers, separate them, and then let it rip from the component settings tab. A more detailed version (and/or links to the official instructions) should be floating around here somewhere, but it's K, so the prospect is harder than the execution.

Somebody please help me!!!

I tried to install the 12x750gb drives into my 5u server. It takes a while but 11/12 drives turns blue (1 drive was defective when I purchased). However, my 5u has disappeared from my network (ie. no longer visible under components). There is a message under "my-kaleidescape" -> "settings" that there are multiple servers on the same network. I tried turning off my 1u server and restarting things but then I cannot even access the kaleidescape system on my computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PM sent, call me to provide additional info.

Jim

Back