• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Rental Disc Issue

Mr. Integration

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I have just started trying to import rental Blu Ray discs that were rented from Netflix. It seems as almost none of them will import. I have rarely had this issue with purchased disc but almost every rental one I try has an issue. Are these watermarked as rentals or are they just so beat they are having issues?

I think what your trying to do is the worse case scenario for every studio. Are you doing this to watch the rental from your hard drive???

They are flagged as rentals so they won"t import. if you want to watch those, choose to play from the tray.

The Kaleidescape system is not designed to facilitate copying movies that you do not own.

Thanks for the info. I did not know they had such a thing as rental flags. I don't normally rent. I usually buy or PPV. I use Netflix for streaming so I added the free month of Blu Ray rentals. I use an M700 so I don't think there is a play from tray option. Roth record I was not trying to beat the system. I like the Kaleidescape experience and I am tired of dropping 20-30 to see if I like a movie:)

This is NOT aimed at the OP, knowing him, there is no doubt in my mind he was innocently trying to use the functions associated with playing from the Server. In addition, there are some owner's that do not have an M500 to use for BR playback from the tray, and this unfortunately (for now) eliminates BR playback from a physical disc. Currently, the only way to Playback a physical BR disc without it being imported is thru an M500, and we are not permitted to import any disc we do not own, and obviously we do not own rental discs. The import of any new content from a physical disc will generate the normal warning regarding disc ownership, and in addition, as already noted above, many discs are being tagged as rentals and a K system has the ability to prevent those discs from being imported.

If you happen to actually purchase what was a rental disc (historically some rental companies would sell excess discs after months of rental activity), these can be cleared to be imported but require the physical disc be sent to K to verify ownership. (This has been the procedure in the past and I assume it is still required.)

Jim

Hey Jim,

Glad you said that. As blockbuster was getting ready to close stores back in the day, I purchased a bunch (15-20) DVD's from them and they had "previously rented" annotated on the disk. I got them at maybe 6-8 bucks each. Nice to know there is a way to accommodate them.

This whole issue brings up another concept that I am hoping K will eventually come out with. We need a "try before you buy" program where one could "rent" a disk (via download from K) and if we like it, go rough with the full purchase... I bet this would be a very popular feature, if K were to come out with it.

Matt

Even if one was attempting something dubious an imported Blu Ray still needs the physical media. I am not so concerned even about buying the movie as I am the storage space in the unit as well as keeping a physical disc of something that is a once or twice watch. Streaming picture quality leaves much to be desired. I am so not interested in spend 30K in servers to try and scam the movie studios out of 30 bucks:)

Back