• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Remastered, better quality versions/studios

Vodder

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Howdy. I'm wondering if anyone know if K strive to supply not just the best quality downloads but the actual best quality source material also? I guess it is perhaps more a case of getting the some of the smaller "boutique" studios onboard but I was wondering whether it was formally part of their USP / Value Prop?

The one everyone seems to know of is Criterion and that was briefly mentioned in another thread last year but as I've been building my collection over the past 6 months I've noticed a few recurring themes, these are skewed to the UK given my location:

• Criterion Collection - I've none about these guys from earlier 2000s
  • Eureka Video / Masters of Cinema range
  • Arrow Films
  • Powerhouse Films / Indicator range
  • Curzon Artificial Eye (appear to have a deal with iTunes)

All of these seem to cover a mixture of 2k/4k restorations, remixed audio, obscure films, European arthouse etc.

I guess my point is, I would think/hope that having K gives us the best platform possible for watching film at home and in turn, goes hand in hand in offering the best quality source material also.

Given the price point, it's fair to say that a lot of the target audience - beyond folk with lots of $$$ - are those that love Film, as an art, a medium, hobby etc and usually as part of a home cinema setup.

I'd presume those individuals - like myself - want the best quality source material too. I've found myself buying more and more blu-rays, not just because they aren't on K or UV but because the source material is substantially better.

example: Sex, Lies and Videotape. K store copy appears to be the standard DVD/Blu-ray transfer. There is also a Criterion version that has been remastered. If I am going to watch this movie, then I'm going to want to watch the Criterion version.

Another angle is if the larger studios release an updated remastered version of the film then does K automatically "upgrade" the Store version like Apple do with HD > 4K versions. Although I'd bet that is probably "a studio" decision rather than K's.

Thoughts?

Looks like Criterion are putting their catalogue online for subscribers. Cursive ok no do the same in the UK already. Would be awesome if K tied up with them for access to their catalogues but in a way you can download the full bitrate versions and not streaming quality

Vodder,

Quote: "I'm wondering if anyone know if K strive to supply not just the best quality downloads but the actual best quality source material also? I guess it is perhaps more a case of getting the some of the smaller "boutique" studios onboard but I was wondering whether it was formally part of their USP / Value Prop?"

I wonder the same thing. For instance, is the version of Spartacus the 2015 re-mastered version or is it the previous version? I'm sure K strives for the best quality but IMHO this information should be available with the title. Simply indicating the version's release date would suffice.

As for Criterion, it was Criterion that led me to K. In the distance past when K was exclusively a disc system they offered movie collections such as "Academy Award Winners", etc. One such collection was a large Criterion collection. While Google-ing Criterion collections I came across K. It made sense that the best movies should have the benefit of the best player and here I am. It does seem the two, the best movies and the best system would go hand in hand and provide unique cross selling opportunities for both.

Unfortunately something appears to have soured between these two organizations which is too bad since they appear so much alike, small companies made up of movie fans dedicated to creating the ultimate movie experience. I was surprised to find Criterion titles on Vudu and Apple. Hopefully some day Criterion will return to K. When that happens I will have to buy some Terras!

Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but the answer is simple, K provides the version released to them by the Studios. If at some point a studio releases a newer version to K, they will replace the originally released version. That said, I believe the resolution is the same (1080p, UHD, etc.), but unfortunately, the studios don't always provide the most advanced audio copy on the initial release, there are many occasions where the physical disc version has better audio (i.e ATMOS, etc.), and more channels (7.1 versus 5.1, etc.). This is usually corrected with later releases by the Studios, and when it is K adds that improvement to the Store's version.

Jim

Seemingly missed your reply Jim! So basically, we need Criterion, Powerhouse, Artificial Eye etc to all join K as studios or just have a few "dedicated" Vaults each . for all those extra blu-rays! :-D

Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but the answer is simple, K provides the version released to them by the Studios. If at some point a studio releases a newer version to K, they will replace the originally released version. That said, I believe the resolution is the same (1080p, UHD, etc.), but unfortunately, the studios don't always provide the most advanced audio copy on the initial release, there are many occasions where the physical disc version has better audio (i.e ATMOS, etc.), and more channels (7.1 versus 5.1, etc.). This is usually corrected with later releases by the Studios, and when it is K adds that improvement to the Store's version.

Jim

Is there any easy way to know when a new version, such as with Atmos, has been made available in the store?

What is the best/only option to download an upgraded version? Delete and then re-download?

Back