• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Redplayer and OdeMax... Thoughts?

Current Red customers are happy to see these products, and with Red's move into the HT front projection market with their upcoming Red laser PJ, they should do well over the next year. Personally, I want to see how good their 4K PJ is before jumping onboard, I'm already down on the required Silver screen for 3D, so it had better make up for that in performance. I believe the proprietary compression codecs of their 4K content distribution (Red player) limit use to their components, and this makes it less attractive to me (I'd like to be able to use the Player with other 4K capable components (Sony's VW1000ES PJ and their new 84" 4K panel). That said, I'm appreciative of the advances they bring to the market and hope they do well.

Jim

It would seem to be in their best interests business wise to license their codec to other companies to make OdeMax compatible players...

I agree, hopefully they will!:)

Jim

I am having trouble discerning if this is a commercial, or consumer product. It looks as if it is intended mainly as a platform for producers and studios to distribute their films to theaters? I didn't see anything which specifically addressed main stream movie distribution for home viewing, but I don't see why not.

This was a pretty good (short but imformative) article on the product:

http://www.gizmag.com/red-odemax-4k-distribution-network-redray/25267/

I was a bit surprised that this thing only has 1tb onboard storage?

They were/are primarily servicing commercial applications, but recently decided to develop products that could cross over into certain segments of the consumer market, including HT. With the new marketing push for 4K, Red is positioned to offer their new Red Player and the upcoming Laser Projector, also 4K and 3D (passive, requires Silver screen), all at very reasonable prices given current market standards. Performance remains to be seen, and product reviews should be available soon. I like the company and hope they do well.:)

The 1TB is probably because of their compression codec, which is thought to be an industry leader. We'll see!

Jim

Hmmm... looks to be a bit shy of 1.5U, if my math isn't too far off. Not that their promo shots show any holes for ears.

At the same time, I'm trying not to look too far into any mention of the projector falling off their website with the new player pages.

The PJ is currently in Beta.:)

Jim

Back