• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Recommended upgrade for a "Grandfathered" Kaleidescape Premiere System?

Hi All,

I was wondering, if there was a recommended upgrade path, from my "Grandfathered" Kaleidescape Premiere System?

I have a 1U Server and 2 M500 players. I am still able to rip discs...and I don't want to lose that feature.

Is it possible to upgrade to a newer player, and still use my 1U server? Can I still rip from my M500's if I get a newer player?

I'm looking to upgrade the playback (video quality) most importantly.

Thanks!

D

The current Premiere component line is:

Servers that require a Premiere player for playback:
3U Server
1U Server
5U Server (listed last because this is the oldest, no longer available from K, and small drives)

Players used for playback of content on the above listed Premiere Servers:
M500 (Current player, highest playback rez is Blu-ray (1080p).)
M300 (Current player, same as M500, but without an optical drive/tray.)
M700 (This is a Vault that also has what is essentially a built-in M300 player).

Vaults: (For meeting the Blu-ray storage requirement, among other things.)
DV700
M700 (see above)
NOTE: Software is adding additional functionality to the Vaults, including integration with the Encore components.

NOTE: There are other older players that support playback on the Premiere components (5000, 1080p Players, 6000, etc.)

NOTE: There is also a self-contained Cinema One (a couple of versions) that is part of the Premiere line.

The newer 4K (UHD) playback capable player, the "Strato", is part of the Encore system. There is currently no upgrade path from Premiere to Encore, but K has indicated they may create one in the future.

What all of this means in taking into consideration your requirement for a video resolution upgrade, is that you already have the highest resolution (BR quality, 1080p) from the M500 you currently own. The only way to get a higher resolution is to add a Strato Player (4K), but that means you will have Two separate K systems, one Premiere, the other Encore. Strato (Encore) cannot playback content from your Premiere system. From a storage standpoint, you can upgrade to a 1U with larger drives, or to a 3U.

Jim

Are you able to rip and conveniently play bluray? A Vault would allow you to do that. That might be a good upgrade.

That's a good point. While he can obviously import and playback Blu-ray, without a Vault in the system it's a pain to place the BR disc in the tray to allow playback with bookmarks.

Jim

Back