• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Raid question...

Hello all. I am hoping to get some advice here on my legacy systems raid. First let me say I have nothing but the highest opinion of Kaleiedescape. Especially their amazing customer support. Yesterday one of the drives in my 5U server died. K is telling me a new drive is about $1000. That price point opens the upgrade discussion but what I wanted to ask the group is:

What happens if I just delete some old content and then just pull and shelve the bad drive. I would let my aging server die a slow and dignified death and then upgrade. Will that work with the only downside being diminished capacity?

One more question? Does anyone have Initialized 5U drives available?

Lastly, I know I could call K and ask them the above but I really value this forums expertise and opinions.

Thanks for the help

You can't just remove a drive, downsize the data and restore the array to a functional state sans a drive.

The old IDE drives are just getting harder and harder to find and their cost is actually increasing. Much like fixing an old car, at some point the value of the equipment and its future expectations of cost make it more economical to replace it with a newer model.

Unless you actually replace the failed drive, the filesystem will always be considered to be in a degraded state and no further imports/downloads will be permitted even if you freed up space by deleting content. Furthermore, should another drive fail while you are in this degraded state, the filesystem will be completely unusable.

Back