• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Quid 4TB Discs

K don't usually give out advance notice of hard drive size increases.

I think quite a few owners and potential owners are waiting for 4TB drives to be released.

Just wondering, can you mix discs of varying sizes? If I have 8 3TB drives and wanted to add three more, could they be 4TB?

Differing disks sizes are not a problem.

The two largest drives on the 3U server are used for the Hot Spare and Raid-K.

Adding 3x4TB to your server would give you an additional 10TB of storage. (The first two drives added release 2x3TB for storage. The third drive added will give 4TB).

Some of us wait less patiently than others. I suppose it all depends on what percentage filled your server is... :D

OK,

So I have a 1u Server with 4 x 1TB drives total of 3TB space. 1 3u Server with 12x1TB disks and 2x2TB disks total of 12TB

My 1u Server is full 0% available
My 3u Server has about 18% available.

Question 1
How do I know which disk is the hot spare in the 1u server as all drive lights are on solid in blue. on my 3u server the left most disk is flashing blue (2TB) I believe this is the hot spare?

Question 2
Can I replace the 1TB disks in the 1u server with 3TB disks to increase capacity?
Is there a specific sequence to do this IE replace 1 disk wait for the raid to be rebuilt then replace another disk?

Question 3
Do we have to buy KScape disks? they are after all just seagate's that I can buy from amazon for around ?100

OK,

So I have a 1u Server with 4 x 1TB drives total of 3TB space. 1 3u Server with 12x1TB disks and 2x2TB disks total of 12TB

My 1u Server is full 0% available
My 3u Server has about 18% available.

Question 1
How do I know which disk is the hot spare in the 1u server as all drive lights are on solid in blue. on my 3u server the left most disk is flashing blue (2TB) I believe this is the hot spare?

Question 2
Can I replace the 1TB disks in the 1u server with 3TB disks to increase capacity?
Is there a specific sequence to do this IE replace 1 disk wait for the raid to be rebuilt then replace another disk?

Question 3
Do we have to buy KScape disks? they are after all just seagate's that I can buy from amazon for around ?100

1. There is no hot spare in a 1U. One disc's worth of space is allocated for KRAID, but there is no hot spare as in the 3U.

2. Yes, you can replace the 1TB's with 3TB discs. There are two methods to do this, but only one is accepted and recommended by K and that would be by "upgrading" your 1TB's in the disk upgrade program (contact your dealer for details). The other method that "some' folks here have used is to intentionally fail a disk by simply removing it from the Server. You then replace it with the higher capacity disk and let the system rebuild the content from the "failed" disk. You do that with each disk you want to replace, one at a time. Again, this is NOT the recommended method and you ccertainly have a slightly higher risk of losing all content using this method. That said, it has been done successfully by several owners.

3. You cannot use "off the shelf" drives in a K Server (they will not work). The drives must be purchased through K.

Jim

Yes, getting a new warranty on the disks is a good idea.

Jim

Plus you lose the first one to redundancy anyway, so might as well get the shinier chasis and clean-house while you are at it.

This sure would be a good time for a surprise announcement of 4TB drive cartridges. Having sampled the new download store with enthusiasm I am going to have to buy more capacity very soon or start weeding out some of my less treasured films.

However told you that is in big trouble!!!!:eek::mad:

Jim

Kidding of course, but obviously someone violated the oath of secrecy!!!:D:D

Check the forum tomorrow.:)

Jim

No, the :D:D doesn't mean it was me. (answering a friend that saw the post.:))

Jim

Sorry Jim, I am not very good with rules....

anyway it's only a rumour after all....

Hey my friend, I'm kidding (but I think you know that....:))

Jim

Back