• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Quick video of new M-Class GUI

eschmidt

Just a quick video showing the new gui.
We have had a player for sometime and think the BD and DVD performance is nothing short of amazing.
Will update with some more shots soon.

[m]http://s1003.photobucket.com/albums/af154/soundandvision-tv/?action=view&current=SV_TV-Kaleidescape_M-Class.flv[/m]

Last edited by a moderator:
just watched it, appreciated, but a bit weird haha.

You mentioned the speed of cover art view, but didn't show any movement. You mentioned that BR movie playback initialization is slow and kscape is working on cutting the time in half, but then you jumped right into saying how fast it was -- unless you were comparing it to other BR players?

Anywho, cool video, more for pitching to customers than actually a demo, but still appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the initialization/playback speed, I found the speed to be very fast compared to all other Blu-ray Players I've owned/tested. Once the movie is imported, and the disc is in the tray, selecting Play the movie from either the "list" or "covers" view results in about a 2-3 second start time (didn't time it, but I will). Maybe they are trying to improve on that(?), not sure, but that's more than acceptable to me.:)

Jim

It's fixed... see above now for the video.

Awesome can't wait to see later- on iPad right now. 2-3 sec startup would be amazing compared to normal br machines.

But what's the startup time for a cold start for playback from the disc when it hasn't been imported to the server? Maybe that's what K is working on, to halve that time.

Give the post above, I decided to re-test the timing. I've got some clarification, and an apology. I'm not sure when, how, or why we recorded 2-3 seconds start time after selecting "Play Movie" from the usual K screen, but that is not the case based on what I just tested here. It is in my notes, but it is not correct. I just tested two methods, 1. New (non-imported) BR disc (Harry Potter), and 2. Already imported Lord of the Rings (LOTR) Fellowship...

I first timed the playback on the Sony and Denon BR players, from Harry Potter disc inserted, to the time the FBI warning appeared on screen. These were 42 and 39 seconds, respectively. I then did the same with Potter in the M500, and got 16 seconds to the K OSD "disc in tray" screen, and an additional 22 seconds after selecting "Play Disc" (note: the "Play Movie" option was not available) before seeing content on screen.

I then placed the LOTR BR in the M500 tray (interestingly, the system knows when a disc has already been imported and does not bring up the usual "disc in tray, what do you want to do prompt," in fact, inserting the disc does nothing on screen). If you want to work the disc in the tray, you have to select "disc" from the horizontal menu in the K menu system.

Sorry to diverge, back to the timing. After inserting the physical disc in the tray, selecting "play movie" from the LOTR metadata page resulted in a 21 second delay before the movie started. Still better than other BR Players, but NOT the 2-3 seconds I reported earlier. Still not sure why that was inaccurate, and I do apologize for the incorrect timing. I'm going to check several other movies I looked at for timing to see if perhaps one of those was somehow much faster.

Given this finding, perhaps THIS is what K is trying to improve, but I'm not sure.

Jim

Having rarely watched BR discs (used to fall asleep to planet earth nightly, but always left it paused) I was unaware that a huge delay like that is standard.

22 seconds obviously doesn't sound like much, but I challenge you to go stare at a stranger and say nothing for 22 seconds.... awkwaaaaard

BRs can take a real long time to load. The Oppo loads them pretty quickly but from disc insertion to watching movie it can be quite some time. Since movies are really software it depends on what kinds of features each disc uses. Some load up reasonably quickly but some are a real slow load. Disabling BR live helps.

Yes, unfortunately, being essentially "computer" driven causes delays while the disc is being set up to execute.:(

Jim

But if the kscape effectively rips the movie to disc, what's the problem at that point? Just spooling up a fairly large file?

There's just nothing in the embedded demo video that convinces me to change my opinion on this upgrade. It would need to be very "aggressive" pricing to tip the balance here. The killer is still lack of support for LPCM. Until it can be demonstrated that lossy audio playback on M500 is as good as lossless audio playback on PS3, then I'll wait for M500 Mk2.

I agree that the UI improvements are really nice and no doubt if I had the new player I would enjoy it but is it making me feel like I am losing out if I do not have it? Not at all.

I think disc load times are a function of optical drive read speed + how fast the CPU can process info + memory speed. I think even with a hard drive based system youre still going to have a lot of data to be processed by the CPU. Sometimes the pauses for warnings are programmed.

Give the post above, I decided to re-test the timing. I've got some clarification, and an apology. I'm not sure when, how, or why we recorded 2-3 seconds start time after selecting "Play Movie" from the usual K screen, but that is not the case based on what I just tested here. It is in my notes, but it is not correct. I just tested two methods, 1. New (non-imported) BR disc (Harry Potter), and 2. Already imported Lord of the Rings (LOTR) Fellowship...

I first timed the playback on the Sony and Denon BR players, from Harry Potter disc inserted, to the time the FBI warning appeared on screen. These were 42 and 39 seconds, respectively. I then did the same with Potter in the M500, and got 16 seconds to the K OSD "disc in tray" screen, and an additional 22 seconds after selecting "Play Disc" (note: the "Play Movie" option was not available) before seeing content on screen.

I then placed the LOTR BR in the M500 tray (interestingly, the system knows when a disc has already been imported and does not bring up the usual "disc in tray, what do you want to do prompt," in fact, inserting the disc does nothing on screen). If you want to work the disc in the tray, you have to select "disc" from the horizontal menu in the K menu system.

Sorry to diverge, back to the timing. After inserting the physical disc in the tray, selecting "play movie" from the LOTR metadata page resulted in a 21 second delay before the movie started. Still better than other BR Players, but NOT the 2-3 seconds I reported earlier. Still not sure why that was inaccurate, and I do apologize for the incorrect timing. I'm going to check several other movies I looked at for timing to see if perhaps one of those was somehow much faster.

Given this finding, perhaps THIS is what K is trying to improve, but I'm not sure.

Jim

Decided to repost on the timing just to be clear (I created some confusion with the initial post).

If you have already imported a BR movie, and you select "play movie" from the metadata page you get after selecting a movie from list/covers menu's OR you press "play" on the K remote while in list/covers menu, the average start time for the movie is about 15 seconds. I tried several different movies and that was the average start time. One was actually 12 seconds. None was more than 16 seconds.

Jim

Is it possible that part of this delay is checking for the disk in the tray, or was that addressed by the system checking the disk when it is first inserted? Would the Vault reduce this?

I suspect that is the main reason, and it would be nice if that delay was reduced in the disc loader, but frankly, the more I play with it the less bothersome it seems. (But I would still like the time shortened if possible.)

Jim

Yup, I'm satisfied with that start time. It actually "feels" faster. It would be nice however if the time could be shortened.:)

That certainly isn't preventing me from upgrading my players.

Funny, a couple of days ago my wife actually asked when a new player for the Master Bedroom would arrive and when I indicated it would be a couple of weeks (my choice, the units are available) she asked if I wouldn't mind moving the M500 we do have out of the theatre!!:eek:) (Of course that's a "no-go," but we are still talking about it, or rather she's still talking about it.:D)

Jim

Back