• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Questions regarding pricing and alternatives

BritBlaster

I've lusted after the K system for at least 18 months or so. I've been waiting for the price to come crashing down, or more reasonably priced alternatives to become available. I'm getting impatient in my wait, and might just have to spring for it; price be damned. My friend has acquired one and reminded me just how superb the system really is. I imagine it's like TiVO; once you've had it, you can't live without it. He's already upgraded to 10TB of drives in his server...

Anyway .. has anyone had the chance to evaluate the Fusion Research Cinema Server ? On paper (or web -- fusionrd.com) it looks pretty good -- 1080p capability, blu-ray playback (no info on how to transfer BD content). The UI looks pretty nice too. Haven't been able to get pricing information -- they're all at CEDIA.

Is there any information anywhere on the web that details the MSRP of K's products ?

Has anyone purchased a K system off of the internet (from an A.D.) with good results ?

What is typical of discounting from A.D.s ? My local AD is quoting 10% off the hardware -- is this reasonable/typical ?

thanks....

when i googled it there seemed to be only one message. when it is doing nothing, it looks similar... once you start using it... it sucks. SLow, breaks, and poor experience.

I've lusted after the K system for at least 18 months or so. I've been waiting for the price to come crashing down, or more reasonably priced alternatives to become available. I'm getting impatient in my wait, and might just have to spring for it; price be damned. My friend has acquired one and reminded me just how superb the system really is. I imagine it's like TiVO; once you've had it, you can't live without it. He's already upgraded to 10TB of drives in his server...

Anyway .. has anyone had the chance to evaluate the Fusion Research Cinema Server ? On paper (or web -- fusionrd.com) it looks pretty good -- 1080p capability, blu-ray playback (no info on how to transfer BD content). The UI looks pretty nice too. Haven't been able to get pricing information -- they're all at CEDIA.

Is there any information anywhere on the web that details the MSRP of K's products ?

Has anyone purchased a K system off of the internet (from an A.D.) with good results ?

What is typical of discounting from A.D.s ? My local AD is quoting 10% off the hardware -- is this reasonable/typical ?

thanks....

Dealers are able to sell anywhere (but as you correctly imply, not online). Although we do have clients all over the U.S., I recommend you stay with a local dealer when possible. The benefits of using a local company can be significant, especially when integrating a K-System into an existing AV setup. The other benefits should be obvious (direct support, etc.).

Jim

There is a trade show called CEDIA going on right now- there could be some news from K and perhaps competitors coming out so I would be paying attention if I were you. Also in January there will be the CES with more announcements.

Is 15% discount about the best that can be expected from an authorized dealer ?
It TOTALLY, 100%, up to the dealer on what discount and incentives they want to give. As a dealer, we do not offer any discounts on the Kaleidescape system itself. We sell the system at MSRP retail BUT we do offer free loading of your DVD/CD collection. We also offer our clients a choice of certain Kaleidescape DVD collections, we will also pre-loaded the Kaleidescape collection they choose on to their system at no charge.

Different dealers do different things. Again, it's up to each dealer as to what discount/incentives they offer.

Hope that helps.

I really must urge against Fusion, Axonix, Escient Vision and others.
I've talked to dealers for all of them and the horror stories are frightening.

Escient has been delayed a year now and may be ready to ship so no real life stories of problems, just a lot of dealers frustrated that it was supposed to ship a year ago. I spent a good deal of time in their booth at CEDIA and saw a company that took some features of AppleTV, the best aspects of Kscape, tried to copy them and came up well short. No real innovation just a badly unpolished UI. Perhaps it will improve with time.

Fusion, in addition to blatantly copying Kscape, has a horrid reputation as a company to do business with.

Another thing that bothers me about these media server companies, they try to cram every feature into the product and do a poor job at all of it. Jack of all trades master of none I suppose.

If I could not afford A Kaleidescape, (wait, I can't afford a Kaleidescape system, I only have one because I used to work there) I would not spend the high prices that these hacked together solutions offer. You would be better served by rolling your own Windows MCE system cheaply and continuing to save for Kaleidescape.

Back