• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question re playback of Mickey Blue Eyes

Oldred

Hi, we have a setup configured professionally that includes the Strato C player, 2 Terrabyte compacts servers and a MADVR into a Sony laser projector. TBH we don't touch the setup, just being interested in watching the movies rather than the constant tweaking that I know many enjoy. So they are all black boxes to us other than volume. Anyway - this has worked well on playbacks and we haven't had any hiccups at all.

Tonight we wanted to watch an old favourite Mickey Blue Eyes which we have in BluRay quality. It's the first time that we have watched it on K.

First of all I selected the widescreen version but noticed that even after the movie had started the screen was 'adjusting' very frequently and resizing. Almost as if it was handling subtitles (tbc there were no subtitles). This went on and was irritating and so I flipped to the 'full screen version' (almost square) which wasn't ideal but it had been driving us mad. This had exactly the same problem. We reverted back to the widescreen version because there was no difference to the resizing and it went on throughout the whole movie every 40-50 secs I would say. Bit of a nightmare TBH but we persevered and because we have see the movie so many times over the years that we could probably visualise it from the audio track tbh :)

- When it got to the titles/cast list at the end it was even worse and almost as if it was seeing the cast list as subtitles on and off constantly.
- Just wondered if this jogs any obvious thoughts from you guys/gals that have been doing it for longer. All the movies to date (including 2 yesterday) have been perfect.
- Is it just this movie? Is it something to do with a particular type of movie. Does the age make a difference?
- My guess is that it is some hiccup between the C player/movie file and the MaDVR which is then trying to compensate.

Any clues would help.

Cheers

I am not an expert on the MadVR, but I believe it is doing per-frame analysis to determine the aspect ratio of the content. This obviously opens up the possibility of mistaken aspect ratio detection.

Kaleidescape systems include aspect ratio information as part of the movie's metadata. I would suggest that you might want to speak to your installer about using that information. If you value the ability to switch aspect ratios mid-movie (e.g. Top Gun: Maverick, The Dark Knight, etc.), you might want to stick with the MadVR auto-detection, but see if your installer can provide you with an override function that would use the Kaleidescape-provided aspect ratio.

I am not an expert on the MadVR, but I believe it is doing per-frame analysis to determine the aspect ratio of the content. This obviously opens up the possibility of mistaken aspect ratio detection.

Kaleidescape systems include aspect ratio information as part of the movie's metadata. I would suggest that you might want to speak to your installer about using that information. If you value the ability to switch aspect ratios mid-movie (e.g. Top Gun: Maverick, The Dark Knight, etc.), you might want to stick with the MadVR auto-detection, but see if your installer can provide you with an override function that would use the Kaleidescape-provided aspect ratio.
Mike, that does make sense, particularly the override. I just wondered if anyone else had encountered a similar issue due to the nature of the movie etc. MADVR and so on. I will raise the issue on Monday. Thanks.

Back