• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question re disc failure in 1u server.

Steve

Hello,

I have just had my second disc failure in 3 years and now need a replacement disc. Being unsure as to whether the discs in the server are 750gb or 1tb etc, does it matter what size disc I replace it with. Or are all disc sizes compatible which each other?

Many Thanks

Hi Steve, the discs should have a size id on their front face. Or power down your server, wait 30 seconds, then remove the one in question to read the back label.

As to replacement you can use any size the fits into your server. 5U or 1U/3U??

Adding just a little to kman's post, you can use any disk that fits your Server, BUT, it must at a minimum have the same storage capability as the disk you are replacing (meaning it can of course be larger, i.e replacing a 750GB with a 1TB/2TB).

I know this is obvious, and you likely knew this already, but posting for any others that might read this thread.

Jim

2 disc failures in 3 years, that's bad luck. Do you have any idea what temperatures your discs were operating at in the server?

Remember also that the disk must have been re-initialised by Kaleidescape if it is a used disk that has been in another system (and, you can't just buy a similar drive from the PC shop).

Do also note that if you are replacing a 750GB with a larger disk you won't get the extra disk space as the largest spindle is used/reserved for parity. (unless there was already just 1 larger disk in the system)

So if you had 4x750GB disk and replaced a failed 750GB with a 1TB disk you would not get any more useable space. If you then replaced another 750GB disk with a 2TB disk, you would get the 250GB extra from the 1st upgraded disk, but not the 1.25GB on the 2TB disk.

On the 3U/5U servers there is also a hot-standby so you get extra space even more slowly as that has to be equal size to the largest disk so it can take over if needed.

Your dealer should be able to see the temperature history for the server (not sure about 5U servers) and each individual drive temperatures on a 1U/3U server, it may be worth asking them to check.

Kaleidescape also told me that thet do not recommend increasing the size of a full server by removing a small drive, putting a bigger drive in and waiting for the rebuild because there is an increased chance another drive may fail during the process as the rebuilding of the raid array causes the drives to all work much harder than normal.

Thus, if you have a failed drive out of warranty, it is worth considering purchasing a new "largest possible" (currently 2TB for 1U/3U) server if you can see your server filling up soonish to save a rebuild at a later date.

Kaleidescape also do out-of-warranty disk replacements at much-lower-than new disk prices (same size replacement).

R.

Last edited:
Back