• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question from Kaleidescape: How do you use the iPad App?

MikeKobb

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Greetings all!

As has been mentioned here already, the 1.9 version of our iPad App was recently released, with support for Co-Star and some other nice new features and bug fixes.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ask you how you use the iPad app. Are you using it for movies? Music? Both? Do you play scenes & songs? Do you use the app as a "second screen" while media is playing?

What features do you love?

What features could you live without?

Any other feedback?

It used for movies and scenes. I would like to be able to create collections, purchase movies from the Kaleidescape Store, and have more filter options.

Creating the collections from the web browser is okay but I want to be able to sit at the dealing and work on my collection. It’s easier, for me, to manipulate on the iPad.

Purchase movies - I know it’s coming.

Advanced filtering. Would like to see smart filtering. Make a collection that auto populated based on the metadata of each movie file that is added. Use case 2.40:1 films in Dolby Atmos, every new film that meet that criteria is added to a smart collection list. Another would be Disney Movies in 1.33:1. Last one, Jennifer Anniston Films. Much of this can be done in the online store and it maybe a part of the next update.

thanks

Let's please discuss on a separate thread if you like. [Edit: question moved to its own thread, thanks!]

Thanks, Bill, for the feedback and suggestions!

In the iPad today, you can tap on a cast member or director to see their other movies. I know it's not the sophisticated filtering you're looking for, but it's a start!

So, this suggestion isn’t all that important, but...

You should ditch the chrome-like border on the app icon. Just solid black with the Kaleidescape icon would fit in much better with the current “flat” UI.

Greetings all!

As has been mentioned here already, the 1.9 version of our iPad App was recently released, with support for Co-Star and some other nice new features and bug fixes.

I wanted to take this opportunity to ask you how you use the iPad app. Are you using it for movies? Music? Both? Do you play scenes & songs? Do you use the app as a "second screen" while media is playing?

What features do you love?

What features could you live without?

Any other feedback?

Main items that I use the app for (in rank order):

1. For labeling scenes that I mark (and I mark a lot of them), I use the app almost exclusively. It's a lot easier that the browser interface and much, much easier than trying to use the OSD. I also have a suggestion for the OSD portion below (note 1).

2. Display and control for music (CD's) on my 3U system. I don’t want to waste hours on my projector just listening to music. I also do this a times when I am playing a script of scenes/songs from my concerts when I just want to listen and don't care about watching.

3. Let guests use to pick a movie to watch. The app is great in that I can pick a collection (“Newest Releases”, “HDR”, "Child", etc.) and then go to cover art of just titles in that collection for guests to peruse. I can’t do this by collection in the on screen display. It also allows me to play demo scenes while everyone is deciding on a movie.

Like:
1. Integrated app where I can pick either my Premiere (3U) or Strato from inside the app.

2. Play scripts from the app. I don’t know if this was added to this version or was in the previous version and I just missed it. I have over 20 scripts on my 3U server and am adding to my Strato constantly. This ability makes it a lot easier to see them and play them. I had made a screen on my control system with buttons that would play my top 10 scripts. Now I don't need these and it was taking up a lot of space on the panel.

Bugs:
It still shows ALL movies in the “New” collection from the Strato. My 3U server just shows the new titles based on how it is set. This may be a limitation on the Strato side.

Note 1: When marking scenes on the OSC it would be nice if the screen for labeling the scene would have the curser default to the “Done” key instead of the "A" (doing this from memory) so that I don't have move to the right for 6 spaces before reaching the "Done" key and pressing "Enter". Also, is there a network command for the "Done" for marking scenes? I couldn't find one.

John

Random Scenes and Songs

I would love to be able to have the system play random scenes or songs. The ability to see which movies have scenes and songs is a favorite feature of the app, but to play them randomly would be a huge addition.

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback so far!

Roderick, do you envision playing random scenes from the entire library, or randomizing the scenes/songs from a particular title?

Concerning the random play option, it would be really nice to have a random play option for scripts.

John

I would love to do it for songs and/or scenes from my entire library.

Interestingly, years ago we had a command that we could send to our system that would play every scene in our library. However, it was not random and played every scene in a given movie before going on to the next movie so I didn’t use it much. At some point K, removed the command and I always assumed it was because it stopped working correctly in systems with a huge number of scenes.

John

Back