• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question from Kaleidescape: Browser Interface Movies List

MikeKobb

◥ ◣ Kaleidescape, Inc.
Hello all!

A quick question for you. If you go to your system's browser interface (and here I'm talking mostly to Premiere system owners), and you go to the movies list, there are a number of columns, including the genre, lead actor, director, etc.

Which of these columns do you find most useful? Are there columns that you don't care about at all? Ones you wish were here and aren't?

Thanks!

Date Imported would be a nice column to add.
Personally, I've not used actor or director.

I have used actor and director on the onscreen interface much, but not so much on the web interface. I agree that to sort by import date/time would be nice to get the recent ones to the top.

Since the actor/director is limited to one person, sorting by actor really makes little sense.

Hello all!

A quick question for you. If you go to your system's browser interface (and here I'm talking mostly to Premiere system owners), and you go to the movies list, there are a number of columns, including the genre, lead actor, director, etc.

Which of these columns do you find most useful? Are there columns that you don't care about at all? Ones you wish were here and aren't?

Thanks!

I third the import date suggestion, ive always wanted to see new imports. I've only ever used the name and genre columns.

The items I use are as follows:

1. Type - use all the time.
2. Genre- - use sometimes
3. Rating - only rarely

The rest I don't use at all unless it is sometimes when I export to a file and do some summary counts.

As others have said, if I had import/download date I would use this a fair amount.

John

Great question! This reminded me of one I thought of a while ago.

I would really like to see a "Collection(s)" field to show what collections a given movie is included in or not (then it would be blank). My personal example would be when adding kids movies to their collection, I never know what is in the list that hasn't been added.

Right now, I just have to go through the list and add everything but in large collections it's hard to know if I got everything correct.

I would agree with collections, but my primary use would be for the built-in ones, so the ability to add columns with Y/N info on being recognized, having cover art, bookmarks, or any information is good. Maybe a column with counts for extras, scenes, and scripts. It would also be good to have a column showing how the volume is grouped/rolled-up with other volumes or seasons in the same TV series/franchise (*cough*.)

Name and format are probably the only ones I currently use on the browser interface. Even on the player interface I only use actor/director on a lark because of the limited listings.

I don't use much of what's there, but I'd agree that a "date added" and "collection" field would be useful. And I'd leave collection blank if the only collection it is in is New Movies or none at all.

--Donnie

Hi Mike,

I use the onscreen display for sorting by genre, actor and very occasionally duration (i.e. only 90 minutes till bed - what will fit :eek:)

As far as the web interface goes, I primarily use the type to sort by DVD vs BR vs download etc., mostly for cataloging purposes. I rarely use other fields. The idea of an import date field is a great idea because I do clear the import page after exporting and saving it as it can get very large and cumbersome.

Thanks again for all you are doing to improve our collective experience.

Wayne

I would also agree a date added or date imported field would be very helpful.

This movie list gets pretty long when you have 1000's or even 100's of titles. Could we have an option to choose by letter? So when you initially go to the movies page, you choose what you want to see. All the B's or a particular collection for example. Maybe have a user set default view initially.

We have the option to show Blu-rays only, what about a DVD option. The option to show only store downloads would be good too.

With regards to the columns, how about the user chooses which columns to show and hide.

An option to expand out a title to show all the discs that make up this title, such as a tv series or special feature discs, this way we could choose to delete individual discs.

Thanks

I also don't use most of what's there but it would be very welcome to go by letter as suggested above. I also like the suggestion of date imported. I really use the web interface to manage collections and not hunt for movies. However, I think if you removed a column- say Genre- that would be the one time I wished it was there!

A letter option to go to that section of movies would be great. Similar to iPad app. I would bypass this to get the iPhone app back by the way!

Duplicates Tab

When you are doing disk to digital, this would be an easy way of pulling up the duplicates after the upgrade and removing them. Thoughts

Agreed on duplicates, and also would like to see it be sortable by aspect ratio. Also agree that date of import would be excellent. That way we can arrange by the most recent downloads, which recently for me has been the stuff I want to find and watch. Since I am gettin' old, it would be nice to have a way to find them without remembering the titles I've bought recently.

One thing that may sound a little weird: right now, the guide will often use a non-English name for movies that are known by both their English and native (eg Chinese) names.

An example of this would be "Dream Lovers", a Chow Yun-Fat film from 1986, which is listed as "Meng zhong ran". Weirdly, that's "Dream Lover", a different film - the Chinese name for "Dream Lovers" is "Mung chung yan", according to IMDB - but the big problem is that it's very hard to *find* the film if the only name used is the Chinese one...especially for Hong Kong films that always had both names to begin with.

It'd be nice to have both names in there in the web interface (separate fields, perhaps)...and both visible in the "native" UI, too!

Back