• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

OFF-TOPIC Question for Networking Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Not sure we have any members qualified to answer this, but I told my wife I'd ask. She recently returned from her college reunion and while there she had a discussion with a former classmate during which he mentioned a capability a friend of his created in his home. Apparently he created separate wifi zones with his home assigned to each child separately that allow him to program times those zones are not accessible by his children. His older kids get longer access than the younger ones, and he can also control (from his phone) which zones are active at anytime and can shutdown access to all zones if his kids don't cooperate to complete their assigned chores. He's able to do this from one internet system in his home.

I know he works in cyber security for the government, among other things, but I'm curious if anyone here knows how this is being accomplished, and what additional equipment is needed, if any. (We can't ask him for unstated reasons.)

Jim

As David said, many routers have this function within the parental controls, you assign devices/MAC addresses to the different profiles.

You shouldn't need to worry about zones, just use the main router as this will cover/control all zones as they feed off this.

We are android users in our family and Google Family Link is also good for mobile devices too.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Ubiquiti also lets you set up schedules for each Wi-Fi network in the way that you have described, but it isn’t really a great parental controls solution. Circle has a simpler implementation of the types of restrictions you are describing. There is also an app for phones etc that lets you push the controls onto those devices for when they are not attached to your Wi-Fi.

Thanks Guys, those are all helpful, I appreciate the responses.

I got what I was looking for so I'm locking this thread.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back