• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question about movies in the Store

FURY

Hi All!

I have a Vrroom and a JVC rs3100, which, as I understand it (and worked with Guardians of the Galaxy 4K UHD on PS5) requires Color space 4:4:4 8 bit to produce a source from that disc as 4320p 24A and resolution of 7680 X 4320. Now, are all the movies available for purchase on K store that color space? If not, how can it be determined which color space is being purchased?

Thank you very much

FURY

4:4:4 8-bit is not a color space, but rather a description of chroma sampling format and bit depth.

I'm not aware of any commercial movie content available for the home market that uses 4:4:4 color sampling. Everything uses 4:2:0, and this includes Kaleidescape's HD and 4K content (both SDR and HDR). Kaleidescape's onscreen display can use 4:4:4 8-bit, however.

Kaleidescape HD content is 8-bit, BT.709 color space, like a Blu-ray disc. Kaleidescape 4K SDR content (labeled "UHD" in our interfaces) is 10-bit, BT.709. Kaleidescape 4K HDR content (labeled "HDR" in our interfaces) is 10-bit, BT.2020.

Now, an additional note about BT.2020 -- this is a sort of future-proof color space, in a sense. It's a very very large color gamut, and there are currently no display devices available that can display it fully. That's okay, because there's no content, either. Commercial theatrical content uses a color space called "P3", which is larger than BT.709, and a subset of BT.2020. 4K HDR content also uses P3, and there are displays available that can display all or nearly all of P3.

Whew! Having said all of that, the motivation for your question was how to get your RS3100 to upscale to 8K. I would be very surprised if it required an 8-bit 4:4:4 signal in order to upscale, because that would mean that it couldn't upscale HDR content (which is 10 bits by definition).

You mentioned "24A". I don't know what that is. If you meant "24p" (24 frames per second), and if the projector requires a 24p signal to upscale to 8K, then you would need to set your Kaleidescape player to "allow display mode changes". This will let it switch to 24p during playback of 24-frame content.

Hi Mike!

Thanks for the info. I truncated the color space. Please see attached the info screen on the rs3100, showing the incoming signal from the Vrroom to the rs3100. I got that work last night, using the 4kUHD disc played on the PS5, and then tried streaming Netflix/Prime HDR and SDR cable, but couldn't get the same input to the projector. The difference in the incoming info from the Vrroom, not the rs3100, showed 4:2:2, as I remember it-I'll check again later, so I thought that was the issue.

I'll dig into this a bit later, but your provided info is very helpful.

Thank you very much

FURY

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.36.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 12.36.13 PM.png
    638.1 KB · Views: 40
Ah, I see. I wasn't familiar with the VRROOM scaler, so I don't know what determines whether it will or will not upscale an input signal. Good luck!

(And I have no idea what 24A means! 🧐)

Now, an additional note about BT.2020 -- this is a sort of future-proof color space, in a sense. It's a very very large color gamut, and there are currently no display devices available that can display it fully. That's okay, because there's no content, either. Commercial theatrical content uses a color space called "P3", which is larger than BT.709, and a subset of BT.2020. 4K HDR content also uses P3, and there are displays available that can display all or nearly all of P3.
Residential RGB projectors like the Samsung LSP9T (106% of BT.2020) and the Barco Freya (98.5% of BT.2020) both have a large color gamut. Planet Earth II, John Wick III, The Lego Batman Movie, and The Amazing Spiderman 2 are some of the movies that use color between P3 and BT.2020.

There are some videos done by Nanosys called Movie Night in BT.2020 that show BT.2020 content. The first is on Planet Earth II.

Zowie. I was not aware that those large-gamut projectors had arrived. Thanks for the clarification.

Well, yeah. I saw that projector in person right before the pandemic shut everything down, and it was pretty amazing.

It should be given its price tag....half the cost of an exotic! (Also need a lot of space to properly install it.)

Jim

Hi MikeK!

Actually the motivation for my question, which Jim graciously placed in a separate thread-thank you, was to determine if my use case could benefit from K content. I was able, changingaome other settings, to get at least some P3 D65 coverage with 422 content, BTW, from Prime streamed content, as the below attachment illustrates. I think, though that there is no way to get to go from the container that starts as 4320p 24A stays as such. Not that I haven't been able to coax a pretty fine image from that "limitation." As another vroom user relayed to me, only MKV can be changed to 4320p 60A, this may be due to copy protection? ISO and AVIHD(blue ray) must stay in native rate 24HZ when unsampled. The workaround is another box-HTPC + MadVr, which I was trying to avoid.

OTOH, looks like maybe 400 or so titles on K site are HDR. Sure would like to know if anyone has a JVC NZ series projector and a K and what configurations they are using, especially with a Vrroom in the mix.

Thank you very much

FURYScreenshot 2022-02-14 at 10.48.13 AM.png

Hi All!

I have a Vrroom and a JVC rs3100, which, as I understand it (and worked with Guardians of the Galaxy 4K UHD on PS5) requires Color space 4:4:4 8 bit to produce a source from that disc as 4320p 24A and resolution of 7680 X 4320. Now, are all the movies available for purchase on K store that color space? If not, how can it be determined which color space is being purchased?

Thank you very much

FURY

Not sure what issues you are having here. The JVC projector can scale ANY input to 8K. You don't need the Vroom to achieve this. The only reason you would need a vroom in your setup is if you don't have a switching source that would allow a 4K120 or 8K input source and have audio. Otherwise you can feed any resolution in (including HD and 4K from the Kaleidescape) and the projector will scale it to 8K. This works for any output colorspace from the Kaleidescape as well. I would recommend using 422 as that is what the internal processing of the JVC is done at and it eliminates a colorspace conversion.

Back