• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Question about DVDs playing from a K disk vault

PointMan

Since new K systems no longer import CSS-protected DVDs, will DVD physical disks played from the disk vault be able to start playing at the beginning of the feature (skipping the extraneous stuff), or jump directly to a favorite scene as is the case with BR imported content (with disk present, of course)?

Since new K systems no longer import CSS-protected DVDs, will DVD physical disks played from the disk vault be able to start playing at the beginning of the feature (skipping the extraneous stuff), or jump directly to a favorite scene as is the case with BR imported content (with disk present, of course)?

Yes. All bookmarks work regardless of whether you are playing an imported version of the movie or directly from the disc.

That is correct, assuming that particular DVD has been bookmarked by K. If it has, then you will have the same "Play Movie" option for disc playback (skipping the warnings, trailers, etc.).

Jim

Thanks guys for the confirmation. So the only remaining issue for me (prior to pulling the trigger) is 4K player release. I'm assuming 4TB drives in the server can be mixed with higher capacity drives when they are released? Do you think the 4K player would also be likely to support 3D? I'm new to this, so please forgive the dumb questions.

Are there any true 4K projectors out there besides the under $25K Sony 1100 which I am looking at? (I'm not prepared to drop $100K on a projector if Sony has competition).

Has anyone confirmed that you can play a DVD from a vault? I can't from my M700 but I have a legacy system. I know that K was supposed to enable this I just hadn't heard that they had done it yet.

John

Thanks guys for the confirmation. So the only remaining issue for me (prior to pulling the trigger) is 4K player release. I'm assuming 4TB drives in the server can be mixed with higher capacity drives when they are released? Do you think the 4K player would also be likely to support 3D? I'm new to this, so please forgive the dumb questions.

Are there any true 4K projectors out there besides the under $25K Sony 1100 which I am looking at? (I'm not prepared to drop $100K on a projector if Sony has competition).

Yes, drive sizes can be mixed in a Server, but keep in mind the largest drive size in a Server will be reserved for KRAID, and a matching in size drive will be identified as the "Hot Spare" and not available for storage. (i.e. if your system had two 4TB drives and two 2TB drives, the two 4TB drives would be used for KRAID and HS, leaving 4TB (2 x 2TB) of actual storage. Also, KRAID is not actually a single drive, it is spread out amongst all drives, but 4TB would be allocated to that function to match the largest drive in the system.

We know a 4K Player is in development, and 3D support is also planned, but it has not been announced that both are planned for the same Player (but could be).

The Sony 1100ES 4K PJ is $27,995 (retail). Their VW600 4K is $14,995 retail. There is a new lower Lumen 4K (VW350) about to be released, $9,995 retail, with a temporary $2,000 promo credit currently available from Sony (on the new 350). JVC has a 4K line as well, but less Lumens, and what most call "faux" 4K (their e-shift technology) prices range from $5,195 to 12,495. They also have a $120K "Pro" model.

The reason you don't currently see less expensive (than the current $100K+) DLP based PJ's is because a consumer level 4K chip has not been made available from TI, but rumor's say it is coming, likely this year. (Note: There is also some talk that these less expensive 4K chips were already made available to DLP manufacturers, but were rejected for some reason (maybe price?), but that has not been confirmed, and the manufacturers I speak to indicate they are waiting for these new 4K DLP based chips. We'll see. (Sony/JVC are LCOS based, and Sony developed it's own 4K chip which is why these are available.)

Not favoring one over the other (we sell both), but each has serves a dedicated client base.

Jim

Back