• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Query re restoration process

Oldred

Hi,

warning - Long preamble for info.

Still in our first 12 months as K owners we are still encountering things for the first time.
We had purchased a12TB server and quickly all but filled that up within a few months - oops and so we added an 18TB server and started on filling that up :).
The latter failed and has since been replaced. While waiting for diagnosis I did download a couple of movies to the 12 Tb that had been on the 18Tb but can't remember which.

When we got the replacement new server it was installed but the installer didn't trigger restoration. They requested it via the UK reseller etc. just before Xmas and so I just compared the lists and downloaded the missing movies manually to reinstate the collection.

Today I emailed directly and asked support to remove the failed server because it still showed as offline etc. They did this almost immediately and a restore process started. Understandably it indicated that most of the movies were already there but it seemed to download Saving Private Ryan and also Star is Born. Both of those movied have been showing up on 'list and covers' and as far as I know have both been there.

Question
It's not possible that the movie is now downloaded to both servers on the same system now is it?
Is there an easy way to check or do I have to power down the servers one at a time to see if it remains available on both. Would have thought there is an easier way than that?

Thanks in advance

Question
It's not possible that the movie is now downloaded to both servers on the same system now is it?
Yes, since they are two different servers. It could even try to re-download to the same server but will sort itself out faster and recycle the space.
Is there an easy way to check or do I have to power down the servers one at a time to see if it remains available on both. Would have thought there is an easier way than that?
That's the faster & easier way. Your alternative is to actually breakup the system, which can get messier.

Ok thanks. I assumed that it would compare the system rather than the servers. Thinking about it I think I had upgraded one of those movies and updated the other. Not sure if that has any bearing on why they were handled differently. I will make some time to try and work out what is duplicated, if anything. Seems odd that the solution allows the same movie/format to exist twice in the same ‘defined system’.

Or are you saying if we leave it, it will resolve itself?

If the same title resides on two servers that are joined into a single system, you will only see a single cover on your K player but the movie will continue to take up space on BOTH servers. You will need to manually delete one instance of the movie to fix this.

The simplest way to do this is to power down the server where you want the movie to live going forward and then open the IP address of the server that remains and delete the movie.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confirmation. Feels like this should be handled by the system itself or maybe better still a command that should highlight duplications and allow you to select which ones are deleted.

Thanks again.

Agree that it could and should be simpler.

I did the same as Andy suggested when I added a Terra and removed content from the Strato's I had with storage and again when I consolidated to a larger Terra server.

If your system downloaded those two movies while both servers were online, it probably means that you had a different quality version of the movie on the system than what was on your now-removed server.

Restoration schedules downloads for not just the same movies that were on the component that was removed, but also the same versions.

Example: let's say that you had previously downloaded Private Ryan in HD and 4K HDR qualities. One was stored on your 12TB, and one was on your 18TB. The 18TB fails. You still see the movie in your onscreen display, because there is still a version on your system. Once you schedule restoration, it would skip the one that's already on your system, but would download the one that wasn't.

If your system downloaded those two movies while both servers were online, it probably means that you had a different quality version of the movie on the system than what was on your now-removed server.

Restoration schedules downloads for not just the same movies that were on the component that was removed, but also the same versions.

Example: let's say that you had previously downloaded Private Ryan in HD and 4K HDR qualities. One was stored on your 12TB, and one was on your 18TB. The 18TB fails. You still see the movie in your onscreen display, because there is still a version on your system. Once you schedule restoration, it would skip the one that's already on your system, but would download the one that wasn't.
Thanks Mike. I had already downloaded all of the movies manually, or at least tried to. I had both copies of the Ryan movie at one point but thought I had deleted the Blu-ray version when buying the 4k but perhaps I screwed that up at the time. I have no idea why Star is born was downloaded again because it’s been showing on the lists. It’s only 2 movies to work out how to delete and so no big deal. I will sort it out when I get some spare time.

Thanks.

Back