• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Purchasing a grandfathered unit for trade up

lushtech

Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
So I am interested in getting into a Kscape system, but I really need the ability to import the DVD's as I will be using this system in an environment without access to the internet. Can someone please offer an explanation as to how one would go about doing this? obviously I am running out of time....

I understand that I can purchase vaults and keep the discs in them, but I am also in a position where I simply don't have the space for it....

I think what I want to do is purchase an older unit and trading it in on a new unit and transferring the grandfathered status. How do I know the unit can be upgraded? Is there a way to check the serial number before I buy it? How is the grandfathered status transferred? Is it attached to the serial number?

thank you in advance!!

First, you obviously already know that you must have a Server with Grandfathered status in order to import DVD's, and that you can also transfer that status to a new Server. I can check a serial number for you if you find a Server that claims to be Grandfathered (almost all Servers sold prior to the the Settlement date are Grandfathered, but there are a few out there that were part of multiple Server systems wherein only one of the Server's was used to identify the system, and only that Server will be Grandfathered. This is why it's best to confirm the serial number. You can also check directly with K Support (by email is preferred because they are very busy) to check the serial number. Transfer of the Status must be done manually by K Support.

If I'm reading your PM correctly, you also understand that you do NOT need a Vault for DVD's if you have a Grandfathered Server, but you would of course still need one for Blu-ray content if you plan to have immediate access to a BR collection.

Jim

Last edited:
Back