• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

WANTED: Purchase System

Toby

I am interested at purchasing a player and server. Anyone have something for sale?

I am a K newby - I have around 600 movies (BR & DVD combined). What do I need to purchase to view on 2 different TV's?

I just sent a PM and also gave your contact info to someone selling a system.

Jim

I am interested at purchasing a player and server. Anyone have something for sale?

I am a K newby - I have around 600 movies (BR & DVD combined). What do I need to purchase to view on 2 different TV's?

With that size collection, you might be able to get by with a 1U Server, but really depends on how many of those 600 movies are BR. I also assume you will want to continue adding to the collection, if so, and assuming more BR content, I would suggest a 3U Server to insure you have enough storage capability going forward.

Regarding two displays, you will need two K-Players. Given that one of those needs to be able to import content to the Server, you will need at least one M500 Player (I assume M-Class Players because of your BR content, there are older Player's that can handle standard DVD). The second Player, again assuming BR playback, can be an M300 (playback capability only).

If you want to be able to play BR without having to place the desired movie in a tray to verify ownership, then you will also need one of the "Vaults," either an MDV (100 BR disk storage) or an IDV (M700) with 320 disk storage capability. The M700 also has a built in Player (like an M300) so you could get an M700 and eliminate either the M300 or M500. Note however that the player in the M700 is only capable of playback of content already imported, there is no "tray" to playback non-imported content like the M500 can. This is helpful when you want to play a movie (i.e. rentals, borrowed, etc.) without importing to Server.

There are other considerations as well.

Jim

Just fyi to others reading this, Toby is still looking for a reasonably priced used system. Reach out if you have something!:)

Jim

Here are three ways Id suggest you consider doing this:

1. Lowest cost/ least expandable
* 1U server
* M300 player
* M500 player
* "MDV" KVault 100 disc - check out Mr. Poindexters slightly used one for $750.

This system gives you entree into the world of Kaleidescape and gives you BR ability. At max capacity the server can hold either 900 DVDs or 150 BRs or some combination. And don't forget any CDs you might have.

The M300 player is less expensive than the M500 because the M300 lacks the M500s disc reading drive. You need the M500's drive though because in the above system while you can use the MDV Vault to read blu rays, I don't think it can read DVDs nor CDs.

The problem with this system is if you have a significant number of BRs or plan to have a significant number, you'll quickly max out the server. And then you'll have to add a new server. Its my opinion if you will have a large collection this setup is simply a way to get in now and defers the cost of the 3U. You'll get the storage in the 1U though and you can simply add a 3U later or you can always get another 1U. But again, the lack of capacity is a really limiting factor. Also consider that if you have BR collections- TV shows, i.e. "Band of Brothers"- its many discs and the system counts it as one movie. So if you have a lot of things like that, the 150 BRs or 600 DVD number will shrink real fast. And again that is its max capacity all or nothing. If you have say 500 DVDs Im not sure you'd have room for 100 BRs.

2. "moderate" cost/ expandable
* 3U server
* M300 player
* M500 player
* "MDV" KVault 100 disc - check out Mr. Poindexters slightly used one for $750.

3. highest cost/ most expandable/ most elegant
* 3U server
* M300 player
* M700 vault/ player

In this one you can use the M700 vault as a player as the player is integrated and it can read all the media (DVD/BR/CD).

Jerry, Thank you for your help in the selection process. This helps me figure out how to build a system.

Here are three ways Id suggest you consider doing this:

1. Lowest cost/ least expandable
* 1U server
* M300 player
* M500 player
* "MDV" KVault 100 disc

Or cheaper still skip the M500 and go for a used MP2 instead, the only sacrifice with this combo is single zone BR playback.

Toby,

Search eBay. You'll probably get a better deal there. Due to the requirement to be competitive in pricing in order to sell, the pricing will be lower. After that, find a good dealer and register with them. They can check the warranty and let you know where you stand for support. Buy it where you want or from whom you want, but just don't be afraid to buy it off eBay. Whether you buy it here or from eBay won't change the warranty status of the HW or SW.

Just my .02.

Thanks,

andrej770

Buying off of eBay is fine, and you may indeed find a better deal, so I certainly wouldn't hesitate to look there. Some of our forum members have found excellent deals on eBay.

I would however, be very careful in concluding the transaction. Do your due diligence with any Seller. I've had at least a dozen nightmare stories from owners, and would be owners, in buying off of eBay. For some reason (probably the pricing of K components), scammers like to target K's products. There have also been damaged goods, sold as "in excellent" condition, and drives smaller than what was claimed in the ad, etc..

Coincidentally, I received several PM's and emails yesterday indicating some of the owners thought a post in this forum was from a scammer, and that the person is listed on eBay as well. They all had a bad experience in trying to deal with the Seller. I have removed that thread pending additional verification that the Seller is real. Point is, be very careful (and that's probably true no matter where you shop).:)

Jim

Hello

I have an older full system for sale in the marketplace forum. It is a 5U with 2 players, a reader/music player and the 200 disk dvd changer bulk loader.

If you are interested let me know.

Nope... not a scammer just looking to sell it.

thank you
brian

Back