• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Product Suggestion: New Strato-S with SSD and player in one

SimonSays

I'd love to see a new Strato with both SSD and a player, all in one, for use in mobile applications. Think RVs, Expedition campers, and rear-seat entertainment in family vehicles. And maybe for smaller boats, not super yachts.
Easy to download movies via WiFi at home, but then be able to use it on the road.
Plus, it's also a great unit to put in a second home.

Even an HD only version would be fine for most use cases, but I suppose the development and component cost for 4K is the same anyway.

i was thinking a Terra HD Rack about 8 bays, hot plugable, then a choice of solid state or platter hdd, and a few different sizes. make the cost of expanding storage much smaller if all you had to do was buy a drive from K and slide it in the rack. also much less for k to keep in inventory for parts.

i was thinking a Terra HD Rack about 8 bays, hot plugable, then a choice of solid state or platter hdd, and a few different sizes. make the cost of expanding storage much smaller if all you had to do was buy a drive from K and slide it in the rack. also much less for k to keep in inventory for parts.
This whole section on the forum is reserved for feature requests and such, feel free to start a thread yourself describing your idea. That way it'll be easier for KScape engineers to pick up on it, and other members can discuss your idea specifically in that dedicated thread :)

What’s wrong with a Compact Terra SSD and a Strato C sitting next to one another? They take up about the same or less space as a Strato S for similar pricing.

K mentioned that having more than 4 servers in a system taxes performance. Each Strato S is a player and a server in one. In multi room applications, you hit the 4 server threshold quickly. I am pretty sure this is the reason why they discontinued Strato S and begun Compact Terra.

Maybe I am failing to see what your idea brings to the table that already doesn’t exist.

Like he said: for mobile use.
I also love our Strato S as you can quickly pick it up and take it to a client or a trade fare. Two devices in a clumsy rack shelf (Strato 4K + Compact Server) is by far not that convenient, also taking into account the additional power supply and required LAN connection. Big plus for mobile use: you don´t even need a LAN/Internet connection. Just preload the movies you want to watch/showcase during your trip, connect power and display and off you go.
For the use cases mentioned, the 4 server threshold is also not relevant. (Would be great if you could even switch on or off the server functionality)

We use an older Strato with a built in hard drive in a second location. Only has Wi-Fi, but no big deal. Takes longer to download movies, but playback works great.

Like he said: for mobile use.
I also love our Strato S as you can quickly pick it up and take it to a client or a trade fare. Two devices in a clumsy rack shelf (Strato 4K + Compact Server) is by far not that convenient, also taking into account the additional power supply and required LAN connection. Big plus for mobile use: you don´t even need a LAN/Internet connection. Just preload the movies you want to watch/showcase during your trip, connect power and display and off you go.
For the use cases mentioned, the 4 server threshold is also not relevant. (Would be great if you could even switch on or off the server functionality)
There are still a couple of conflicts in this design.

One, no WiFi will give you SSD read/write speeds, you will be lucky to get sustained gigabit speeds even if you have this Strato sit on the WiFi antenna.

Two, for boat/RV use as indicated in the OP, you leave the Strato C in the field, you take the Compact Terra with you to add more content as needed. Isn’t this more convenient?

Your use case is different than above. There must be some remanufactured Strato S units for dealer use for that. But then wouldn’t you like to demo your clients what you will sell them, a unit from their current line, rather than something specially designed for the dealers? Also, why not use a Y-adapter on the power cable and a 4G/5G Hotspot with a couple LAN outputs for frequent field use?

I like this idea. I would love a small form factor, all-in-one device that can be used while traveling or in a second home. Even if it had more limited storage.

One, no WiFi will give you SSD read/write speeds, you will be lucky to get sustained gigabit speeds even if you have this Strato sit on the WiFi antenna.
For what do i need SSD read/write speeds in the described scenarios?
Two, for boat/RV use as indicated in the OP, you leave the Strato C in the field, you take the Compact Terra with you to add more content as needed. Isn’t this more convenient?
If money is no issue, i agree.
There must be some remanufactured Strato S units for dealer use for that.
I do have one, so no issue for me at the moment. :)
But then wouldn’t you like to demo your clients what you will sell them, a unit from their current line, rather than something specially designed for the dealers?
Kaleidescape is about the overall experience, not the boxes. When demoing Kaleidescape, the Strato S isn´t even visible. What the user is interested in is the GUI, the look&feel, ease of use, picture and sound quality, automation integration, etc. - but not the box.
Also, why not use a Y-adapter on the power cable and a 4G/5G Hotspot with a couple LAN outputs for frequent field use?
Well, convient is something different. ;) I didn´t say it´s not possible to take and run a Strato+Server combo, but a combined box is just so much more elegant for these use cases. I slide it out of my shoulder bag, connect power and HDMI and off you go.

For what do i need SSD read/write speeds in the described scenarios?

If money is no issue, i agree.

I do have one, so no issue for me at the moment. :)

Kaleidescape is about the overall experience, not the boxes. When demoing Kaleidescape, the Strato S isn´t even visible. What the user is interested in is the GUI, the look&feel, ease of use, picture and sound quality, automation integration, etc. - but not the box.

Well, convient is something different. ;) I didn´t say it´s not possible to take and run a Strato+Server combo, but a combined box is just so much more elegant for these use cases. I slide it out of my shoulder bag, connect power and HDMI and off you go.
The OP wanted a unit with SSD, that’s why I brought up the SSD read/write speeds, combined with WiFi speeds is overkill.

I have seen the guts of the Strato S, the board covers only 1/3 of the case (if not less). If this was to be a whole new design, then they should be able to fit everything into a half rack size, especially if they use 2.5” HDD or SSD. The original design already includes WiFi. They just need to design a new case/chassis. A new 1RU height, half rack width Strato Mini with 5TB HDD (2.5”) or 7TB SSD with built in WiFi would be even more convenient than the old Strato S for what you described.

The OP wanted a unit with SSD, that’s why I brought up the SSD read/write speeds, combined with WiFi speeds is overkill.
Ah, i see. I was thinking of the SSD as a more robust storage device compared to an HD, hence more appropriate for (temporary) mobile use. Not because of the better read/write performance.
A new 1RU height, half rack width Strato Mini with 5TB HDD (2.5”) or 7TB SSD with built in WiFi would be even more convenient than the old Strato S for what you described.
Yes, that would be even better. (y)

Yes, SSD would be part of the design brief, because vibrations and bumps can kill a classic hard drive.
Something like a Strato-C form factor could easily be integrated in a size-constrained environment like a car, RV or small boat.

Think of the computer you'd see in a (USA) police vehicle. They have ruggedized laptops (Panasonic Toughbook, I believe) to withstand the use case.

Furthermore, an SSD version could likely be mounted in any direction, making integration in a vehicle a lot more convenient.

Yes, SSD would be part of the design brief, because vibrations and bumps can kill a classic hard drive.
Something like a Strato-C form factor could easily be integrated in a size-constrained environment like a car, RV or small boat.

Think of the computer you'd see in a (USA) police vehicle. They have ruggedized laptops (Panasonic Toughbook, I believe) to withstand the use case.

Furthermore, an SSD version could likely be mounted in any direction, making integration in a vehicle a lot more convenient.
At the 2.5” form factor, SSD have storage size advantage too. I think the largest 2.5” HDD is 5TB or about. There are even 16TB SSD now but a bit pricey. Technically, they could do 2x SSD (or 2x HDD) as the existing Strato board has 2x Sata ports on its controller.

I hate the half rack width units for home use. I like all my equipment to be standard rack size for aesthetics but for mobile use half rack width makes more sense.

Back