• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Problems with Strato playback

DmitryB

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
I've been having issues with playing from Strato for a while. (I had a thread previously.) I have a brand new JVC NZ8 projector, Marantz AV Receiver. Have swapped out HDMIs multiple times. The problem does not go away.

First, I every time I power up the player/projector/AV Receiver - I get an "Out of Range" error. If I switch the Input to another player (Zappiti or Apple TV) and return to Kaleidescape, it tends to work all of a sudden.

Second, most of the time after I start playing a movie, within a few minutes the image will vanish, but the audio will keep going. If I switch to another input and return to K, it works again. And this time will play the movie through without a problem.

When I check the Vide Capabilities on the Strato, I get the below error message.

I don't know what to do at this point. Multiple HDMIs, new projector (the old one it turned out had a failed DD Board, but now the problem continues with a new projector), new AV Receiver. Same old Strato; at this point I have to conclude there's an issue with the Strato? Anybody have any ideas what the heck could be going on and why I have this error message on the Video Capabilities? And if this is why I may be getting "Out of Range" error? And why switching to a different input usually "fixes" the problem (albeit until the next time I turn the machine on?)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 2.47.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 2.47.55 PM.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Are you running video through the receiver and then to projector? If so, have you tried bypassing the receiver and running video straight from Strato to the projector and using the Strato’s audio out to the receiver?

I ask because I have multiple setups and I’ve found that limiting the devices the video needs to pass-through, yields better results. The exception being a video processor, which I’ve not had issues running video through.

Are you running video through the receiver and then to projector? If so, have you tried bypassing the receiver and running video straight from Strato to the projector and using the Strato’s audio out to the receiver?

I ask because I have multiple setups and I’ve found that limiting the devices the video needs to pass-through, yields better results. The exception being a video processor, which I’ve not had issues running video through.
I have Strato => Marantz AVR => JVC Projector. I mean...there's theoretically no reason why this shouldn't be working... I can't imagine everyone is connected directly from K to Projector? I don't know if there could be anything in the settings of Strato OR the Marantz AVR to solve this problem. But somewhere communication fails and it shouldn't and I'm at my wit's end!

Right, it should work. I just think from a troubleshooting standpoint, if you don’t run into issues going straight to the projector, it might help isolate the component introducing the problem.

I have a Strato S and am having the same issue where the video will vanish on no matter what I play and the only way to fix it is a soft restart or a hard restart from the web UI…..Don’t know what’s causing it but since your having the issue I guess it’s a software bug ….I’m running it through a RZ50 to a QN90B…

Haven’t tried the switching inputs trick I will start doing that now for a faster solution but this needs to get fixed

However I’m not getting the out of range error when I power on….it’s powers on and displays normally but I get the Video cut out frequently and just checked and switching inputs corrects the issue just like your setup but something is definitely buggy with the HDCP Handshaking

This is an HDMI issue. You mention that you “tried multiple cables” - which ones? What lengths?
My Strato is connected to a Lumagen which then outputs to a JVC RS3000. For years I was using a Denon 8500, which owns Marantz. I have no issues. I am using Tributaries HDMI cables. Make sure they are 2m long. Longer or shorter may not work.
Ensure the cable is firmly seated - disconnect and reconnect it 3x to make sure.
Turn on sequence can also be important. Use Standby mode on the Strato (ie, make sure it’s never fully powered off). JVC should be turned on last.

So, I connected the Strato directly to the JVC Projector - and same problems. So it's not the Marantz. It's either the HDMI or something wrong with the Strato.

Surge, I've used a bunchy of different cables, including Uipro, Comprehensive. Some others I've since thrown out so can't name. The distance between JVC Projector and Strato/AVR is about 15 feet. That can't be helped. I guess my next step will be to go with Tributaries or Bullet Train HDMIs. (And if that still doesn't solve the issues, then it's a Strato problem...)

I have a Strato S and am having the same issue where the video will vanish on no matter what I play and the only way to fix it is a soft restart or a hard restart from the web UI…..Don’t know what’s causing it but since your having the issue I guess it’s a software bug ….I’m running it through a RZ50 to a QN90B…

Haven’t tried the switching inputs trick I will start doing that now for a faster solution but this needs to get fixed
I'd be curious if switching Inputs works for you.

I'd be curious if switching Inputs works for you.
Switching inputs did work…so it’s def a HDCP handshaking issue with Strato S and the current Firmware….I actually just bought this unit used and am returning it and moving to a Strato C/ Terra combo ….Will keep u updated if I have the same symptoms using the same setup ….and I will be keeping the same hdmi cord just to be sure …

Switching inputs did work…so it’s def a HDCP handshaking issue with Strato S and the current Firmware….I actually just bought this unit used and am returning it and moving to a Strato C/ Terra combo ….Will keep u updated if I have the same symptoms using the same setup ….and I will be keeping the same hdmi cord just to be sure …
Interesting. @MikeKobb (I did just contact Support), but could anyone look into this?

If I don’t have the same symptoms when my StratoC/Terra combo comes with the same hdmi cord then it’ll be pretty definitive….They arrive Thursday

How do people feel about Bullet Train HDMIs? Someone is telling me Tributaries, Bullet Train or Gefen are the HDMIs to get. (Bullet Train is the easiest for me to find via B&H.)

Interesting. @MikeKobb (I did just contact Support), but could anyone look into this?
If you've contacted support already, it will be escalated to engineering if necessary. It does sound like an HDMI interop issue.

If you've contacted support already, it will be escalated to engineering if necessary. It does sound like an HDMI interop issue.
Thanks Mike! I bought this Strato used and the warranty is expired. I was told if it doesn't work, I will just have to buy a new player. I guess there is no actual servicing of existing equipment?

If you have a hardware failure in the Strato and it's out of warranty, then I believe that's correct, although I think there is a trade-in allowance for the old component. It turns out to be logistically unmanageable to repair & return individual components, plus you'd then get back a component where anything that wasn't replaced is still old and potentially more prone to issues down the road.

What you're describing sounds more like an HDMI interop issue, though, and we certainly provide support in resolving issues of that type whether the component is in warranty or not.

If it's OOW, you currently have 3 options:
1. return it to K in exchange for a 50% discount off of the cost of a remanufactured Strato-S (if available).
2. trade back to K for a $500 Store credit
3. sell it for parts

The Strato to Strato Upgrade Promo that was available has expired, so currently only Premiere products can be upgraded to Strato/Terra.

Jim

Back