• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Prioritizing Where Downloads Go

naylorman32

Hi forum,

This might be in another thread, but I could not find it.

I have a Strato, Alto, and Vault. All 3 are showing up in my account, and when i turn on the Alto, all the movies show up under 1 UI.

My question is, when i look at my available disk space in the store, it combines all the open space from the Strato and Alto. Is there a way I can prioritize where my downloads go? As in I want to download this to my Alto and not my Strato. Right now, it doesnt give me any options when downloading from the store.

And furthermore, can i move my downloads that were previously on my Strato over to my Alto so I can free up more potential UHD space on the Strato?

I have asked the same question. The answer has been that bluray and dvd downloads will be send first to the Alto. 4K obviously only to the Strato. I wish there was a way to easily move, but you have to break apart you system, etc. Not straightforward. I purchased a bunch of blurays prior to having an Alto. I looked back in my history to show what blurays I downloaded prior to getting the Alto. Frankly I did this during their closing as I was downloading everything possible. Now, I'm going back and deleting those files and re downloading from the store. They are going to the Alto as I can see my 4K space increasing. I wish there was a way to just move them across the system as that would save me all the GBs of Internet usage to do it this way. I've creating a spreadsheet of all that I need to delete/re-download and have been doing it over the last few months. Seems to be going OK. SJ

Good to know, so it means deleting the BD/DVD content from the Strato and redownloading to the Alto...

Sad to hear they would have to be re-downloaded, which we know will cost both Kaleidescape and potentially the user if they have a data cap.

It seems to me that one could break the system apart, then pick the titles they want to move, put all the rest in the trash (temporarily) and then replicate the content onto the other server. Then, create a temporary collection of the titles that you just moved and add them all to it (this will save time later). Take all the titles from the trash and undelete/restore them. Then, go to the temporary collection you made and delete that whole collection. Finally, rejoin the two systems into one.

Unfortunately, that is not a simple process for people to follow if they are not expert users.

Agree. I have two Stratos and two Altos as well as a disc server. The reality is that I have a ton of room for 4K titles, but if (hopefully when), they allow the Strato to play blurays from the disc server, I'm going to use the Altos in other areas of our house. Frankly primarily as servers for downloaded blurays. I'm just going to move things over time to allow the Stratos to hold the maximum number of 4K titles. When I first purchased my two Stratos and a Disc server, one Strato is for our main theater and the second one was for our family room. We only at the moment have 4K in our theater. The ability for the Strato to play 4K titles in our family room 1080P TV (fairly high end) was my thinking. However, with HDR titles being separate files, I need to now download the bluray copy for the second Strato to play on our 1080P display. It would be cool to be able to see where things are stored and move around as needed. You really can't even tell where they are stored as this info is not available. SJ

Sad to hear they would have to be re-downloaded, which we know will cost both Kaleidescape and potentially the user if they have a data cap.

It seems to me that one could break the system apart, then pick the titles they want to move, put all the rest in the trash (temporarily) and then replicate the content onto the other server. Then, create a temporary collection of the titles that you just moved and add them all to it (this will save time later). Take all the titles from the trash and undelete/restore them. Then, go to the temporary collection you made and delete that whole collection. Finally, rejoin the two systems into one.

Unfortunately, that is not a simple process for people to follow if they are not expert users.

This won't work for Encore systems as they don't have a Trash. When you delete something on Encore it is gone and unrecoverable.

But you could just replicate from the Strato to the Alto without deleting anything. Only Bluray content would get replicated. 4K content would be skipped. Then you could delete the Bluray content from the Strato and then group the Alto back with the Strato.

But you could just replicate from the Strato to the Alto without deleting anything. Only Bluray content would get replicated. 4K content would be skipped. Then you could delete the Bluray content from the Strato and then group the Alto back with the Strato.

Is there a guide somewhere for doing this? Thanks!

Back