• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Prima Cinema

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Hard to say if the company is still alive. They promised they bring movies at home at the same time they hit theaters. $35,000 for the player with 2TB storage and $500 per movie for a 24 hour rental period. There is a finger print reader on the player for rental purchase authentication :)

Bel Air seems still active. No information on pricing or what they really offer other than the website claiming they are awesome.

There was also Red Carpet Cinema with $15,000 for the player and $1500 to $3000 per title for 36 hours rental fees. The weblink is down of course.

this is the info I was giving over on AVSforum by person who sells and installs them along with DCI projectors...

It's $100,000 for year one, $15,000 per year thereafter plus costs per movie of circa $1,000 - $9,000 per movie.

Not worth it for me because I don't like majority of the new movies.

The pricing is not terribly bad for the ultra luxury home cinemas, only if they can prove they will be around for the 'thereafter' years. I would offer a subscription based plan if it was me. Something like $40k/yr for 25 title rentals/yr then it turns a la carte if the user exceeds 25 rentals. Maybe also a premium plan for $60k/yr for 50 rentals/yr + %50 off on a la carte. This would lower the cost of entry and ensure higher revenue on later years.

Bel Air is around still. DCI quality for DCI projectors only. Will blow you away the picture quality at the kind of bit-rates the files are at. But the library is quite limited, and you have to always have $100,000 in your Bel-Air account at any time...

Our information is not as quite as high, but still too high for my taste:
Initial expense for the server and general contract is 65-85K. For the booking of the movies, you book 20K credits. Price per movie if you want to get it with cinema start or even before is 5-8K that is charged against your credit. If credit is empty, you need to book a new one for 20K.
For older movies, price is far less - minimum 500-700.
If you´ve booked a movie, you only have it for a period of time in your library. After that, you are charged again with the minimum fee.
Prices vary per country.

None of these survive long term because:

1. It's aimed at the very wealthy, and most of the very wealthy folks I know are wealthy for a reason, they don't pay $5000 for a movie unless they're getting Associate Producer credits, at least not at a level that will sustain these business models long term.

2. It's mostly a "bragging rights" thing that loses its value after you've stroked your ego with all your less fortunate friends. After you stop hearing the "wow, that's awesome" comments, the blinders come off and you're more aware of how ridiculous it is to watch a $2000 version of "Indiana Jones..." that will be available in the normal course in a month or two.🙃

And then there's the little things, like your children deciding to watch a movie on a weekend while you're traveling, and the movie is $500 (not unreasonable, maybe), and they like it so much they later invite friends to see the movie (2nd showing), and then more friends that couldn't attend the home theater matinee's first two showings (3rd showing), and then one final friend that couldn't make the other showings because they were traveling at the time (4th showing). Invoice for being beloved by the neighborhood kids.....$2,100. The nameless owner failed to read the part about the cost being for EACH showing. Being a lawyer, he doesn't read anything he signs, he just tells others to "be sure you read it entirely before signing."☹️

I'm sure there are other reasons as well....

Jim

The Bel Air system has pretty decent traction with the Hollywood insiders, so I think it's sitting in a decent situation.

The Bel Air system has pretty decent traction with the Hollywood insiders, so I think it's sitting in a decent situation.

Hope so, there's no reason this service should fail, other than the cost. Much of the real money in the industry is likely already on "the circuit," and not paying anything for the content they get. I guess we'll see. (Although my comment was general in nature, it was really aimed at PC.)

I know with PC one of the issues was the available content. The pricing wasn't unreasonable, IIRC, the buy in was $35K, movies averaged $500, and even at that level they couldn't sustain the model (apparently). I know a few friends that also bailed for various reasons, and that's probably the reason I'm skeptical. That said, I think it's great when new ideas make it in this industry, and that's one of the reasons I still own K after 20 years.

Jim

It´s just a very hard business in terms of legal negotations regarding the use rights. You need to speak with many levels and teams at every single studio. I just learned there are even different teams for HD and 4K content. So you thing you´re done with negotiations and then find you only got the rights for HD content - now you start the same talks with the "4K license team"...

It is hard to think with the mindset of someone that can afford this system, but these things do just fine in the circles they are intended for. If you break down private jet travel you are looking at a five figure sum per hour in the air which seems ludicrous when you start breaking it down. But these guys don't they just have their travel budget which sometimes they look at. Alas I am yet to have one of these clients on my books but one day haha

Yes, these things are part of the operational budget of a house, yacht, jet. If ever the question came up from the owner (or the family) "can we watch "movie xxx" right now?" and the answer was "no", then it´s just added to the portfolio.

Back