• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

premiere system recognizing DVDs but no cover art

nsxboy

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had this experience. My Premiere system (3U + M700) has been ingesting DVDs fine and yesterday, I put in 5 DVDs for ingesting into the 3u server and all of them were recognized and copied into the system. The only issue was that there was no cover art for all of these despite having recognized the DVD and scenes. (example movies: Monty Python and the holy grail, Ocean's 8, Better Off Dead)

Has anyone else experienced this? Any recommendations on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

That's the first time I've heard a disc was recognized, imported, and had scenes available (indicating it was bookmarked by K), but had no cover art. Maybe someone else has more suggestions, but I see two:

1. Delete the content and reimport it, perhaps there was some sort of glitch during initial import.
or
2. Add the covert art manually, if that's all you are missing. (Take a pic of the cover box and import that on the Edit details page.)

When you select that title I assume you see all the usual details of the movie, with the only missing item being the cover art.

Jim

If this is a recent development (as in it is the latest imports doing it), there could be some oddity with the network/internet connection blocking your server from fetching the cover art files. Those files are not part of the movie guide database that is downloaded and stored locally on your server. Each one is downloaded from the K headend to your system. I have seen DNS resolution failures cause this behavior before.

Good luck!
Andy

Thanks! I did switch the DNS to DHCP as the prior configuration for DNS was incorrect.

Is there a DNS resolution solution I should attempt?

Thanks,

Mike

If you’re using a static IP address, try using Google’s primary server of 8.8.8.8. I’ve also found 4.2.2.2 to be reliable.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mike,

I just reread your response about using DHCP and the problem I’ve seen with this is if things are left to factory settings, every ISP is different in regards to how well their DNS resolution works. Some are great and others can be flaky at best. If you can, either try configuring your server with a static IP address and use the DNS servers mentioned above, or see if you can reconfigure your router to use those DNS servers (and continue using DHCP).

Andy

We are working to resolve an issue in our headend which is affecting various services including the process that delivers new cover art images for freshly imported or downloaded content. It is this outage that is causing the problem being experienced by @nsxboy.

I don't have an exact time for when we will have this problem resolved but we expect that it should be resolved some time later today (08 Jun).

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing everyone and will post again when we have the issue sorted out.

Jim, yes, the issue is just that cover art is missing on all these imports. The discs received all other information along with eligibility for disc to digital offers. I tried deleting (permanent removal) these discs and re-importing. I tried with both the M700 and my M500 (which is on DHCP) and neither are having success with cover art though they are able to get disc info.

Andy, I attempted updating the systems with the google DNS and reinstating static IPs, unfortunately it's still not working.

I submitted a support request with KScape and will keep you guys posted!

thanks!

Mike

We are working to resolve an issue in our headend which is affecting various services including the process that delivers new cover art images for freshly imported or downloaded content. It is this outage that is causing the problem being experienced by @nsxboy.

I don't have an exact time for when we will have this problem resolved but we expect that it should be resolved some time later today (08 Jun).

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing everyone and will post again when we have the issue sorted out.
Thank you J.Green!

The issue with the image server has been resolved and cover art images should be fetchable now.

The same thing happend to a couple of movies that I imporded on the two weeks ago. All but five movies is now updated with cover. Do I have to do anything for the covers to update?

The same thing happend to a couple of movies that I imporded on the two weeks ago. All but five movies is now updated with cover. Do I have to do anything for the covers to update?

Cover art should update automatically. If it is not, I’d check to see what DNS server you are using. If your server is configured to obtain an IP address via DHCP, the DNS server typically defaults to whatever your ISP uses and it could be flaky. You can switch your server to a static IP address and use 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 for the DNS servers.

Andy

Are these obscure DVD’s that you loaded that were not recognized and you needed to enter the UPC code? If so, it can take up to a week or more for K to load the artwork.

John

Cover art should update automatically. If it is not, I’d check to see what DNS server you are using. If your server is configured to obtain an IP address via DHCP, the DNS server typically defaults to whatever your ISP uses and it could be flaky. You can switch your server to a static IP address and use 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 for the DNS servers.

Andy

Thank you for the tip. I already use 8.8.8.8 but I have 8.8.4.4 and not the 4.2.2.2. Maybe I should try that one.
Are these obscure DVD’s that you loaded that were not recognized and you needed to enter the UPC code? If so, it can take up to a week or more for K to load the artwork.

John
These are Blu-Ray:s and not that super obscure. But when I think of it these were movies that I did put in the UPC code. One of the movies is part of a box of six movies and all of the movies has info but one misses the cover art.

Any more tip that can help? Reboot? Delete and import again? I haven't tried those yet since former users in the tread got it to update anyway.

Andreas

Hey Andreas,

Unfortunately, the only tip I have is to reach out to your dealer or K support. When a disc is imported, the database (called Media Guide) stored on your system (which routinely updates) recognizes the disc and provides the bookmarks (e.g., Play movie, Scenes, etc.), but the cover art is downloaded separately (because your local database would be way too huge). I’m convinced something connectivity-wise is clearly causing the issue (at least I’m 99% certain), but outside of what has been previously suggested, it sounds like K needs to provide the additional insight as to what that may be. Don’t expect a clear culprit, but hopefully they can guide you in the correct direction.

Out of curiosity, have you noticed any recent unexplained issues with your other connected devices? Maybe there is a duplicate IP address?

Good luck,
Andy

Back