• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Premiere 3U Disk Died

USAMP411

Hi all, been a while since I have been on. I just received an alert that one of my drives in my server has died. Pulled it out to find it is a 2 TB drive. I only have 1 TB spares at the moment. Since K stopped supporting these older systems, are these drives available for replacement at all? If not, how on earth do I keep my system going? I deleted a bunch of duplicate files (had both dvd and HD quality), but then I read somewhere that you cannot reduce the size of your storage without replication.

Any suggestions to keep this thing limping along for a few more years until I can completely switch to Terra/Strato? Or at least get enough moved that I can get by with my 1U server?

On a side note, is there a way to find out what size drives are in the server without removing then individually? and several of mine do not say what capacity they are!!

Thanks as always!

Jason

I bought 6TB drives not long ago. The bad news is the system will use the largest drive for spare and the second largest drive for parity. In other words, you won’t be able to add more capacity until you replace 3 or more drives with the 6TB ones.

On a side note, is there a way to find out what size drives are in the server without removing then individually? and several of mine do not say what capacity they are!!
Most of the newer ones will show the size (in GB) on the faceplate (raised white-on-white.) Anything that doesn't is probably small enough to be replacement-worthy, but you would need to pop them out to check (and label) them individually the next time you power the chassis down. You should be able to read the capacity from the manufacturer label once the cartridge is popped.

Emphasis on ALWAYS powering down the chassis and waiting for the hard disks to spin down before removing any disk cartridge. If you remove a cartridge when the server is on, you risk degrading the file system and causing a rebuild (or worse).

Once you remove a disk cartridge (properly), you can look on top of it for the drive model and size.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last question if anyone is still following this thread. I cannot currently import any movies while the 3u is down. I am awaiting a new drive to get it back into working order. my question is, if I power down the 3u, can I continue importing with my 1u as long as there is significant capacity?

Thanks!

Agree with the above. When I lost a drive on my 3U, all my downloads automatically started going to my 1U+. No need to power down the 3U.

John

Back