• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Premier to Encore Conversion

cmcgehee

This question would be to Jim or Mike.

With Paramount coming onboard, over 95% of the movies I own will be available on the store. I'll have less and less use for the Premier gear that I own. If I'm thinking about converting over to a Terra and some Strato's, I am wondering about how to get all of my movies on there. Is there some way either currently or in the works to enable us to copy store content over from our Premier servers to a Terra? It would take forever to download 1,000 movies from the store versus just replicating off of the 3U.

Another question I have is whether there are currently any upgrade promotions from either Premier players or servers to Encore gear?

I'm excited about the changes. Let's keep it up.
Chris

With Paramount coming onboard, over 95% of the movies I own will be available on the store. I'll have less and less use for the Premier gear that I own. If I'm thinking about converting over to a Terra and some Strato's, I am wondering about how to get all of my movies on there. Is there some way either currently or in the works to enable us to copy store content over from our Premier servers to a Terra? It would take forever to download 1,000 movies from the store versus just replicating off of the 3U.

Another question I have is whether there are currently any upgrade promotions from either Premier players or servers to Encore gear?

Chris

In answer to the upgrade deal question; there are no trade up options from premiere to encore at the moment. Whether this will change in the future nobody knows unfortunately.

There is no way (currently) to replicate content, including Store bought content, from the Premiere to the Encore line, the only way to get that content into a Terra is to re-download from the Store.

As noted by mbmapit, there isn't currently an upgrade path from Premiere to Encore, but it has been discussed and is being considered by K, but nothing firm.

Jim

Chris

My question would be why would you want to get rid of your Premiere server? Now that K has come up with the Co-Star switch solution to "merge" the Premiere and Encore systems my system acts as if it is one system with the HD and SD downloads going to my 3U server while all 4K and Disney content goes to the server. As I purchase 4K content it is freeing up space on my 3U server for new downloads. For me, it is the perfect use of resources. Otherwise I would need to buy ~2 Terra servers to convert everything over.

John

John,
I thought about that. I probably wouldn't get rid of my 3U server anytime soon. But my thinking was that I would like to move a bunch of the store content over to a Terra because I believe that I have read on this forum that the processing and picture is a little better from a Strato. Especially if I have a 4K TV hooked up to it. I think that I have read that it either upconverts the HD quality movies or at least is a little crisper. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I have a Strato at a 2nd home and absolutely love the picture. I would keep the 3U for any DVD's, non store content, home movies, and emergency space for even the store content. So I guess that begs the question, is the quality of the Strato (picture and sound) any different/better than an M series player?

John,
So I guess that begs the question, is the quality of the Strato (picture and sound) any different/better than an M series player?

I have an Alto and Strato. The same HD content LOOKs 4k on the strato versus the Alto. It's definitely upscaling, I often have to check the source to be sure I'm 'not' watching a 4k file!

John,
I thought about that. I probably wouldn't get rid of my 3U server anytime soon. But my thinking was that I would like to move a bunch of the store content over to a Terra because I believe that I have read on this forum that the processing and picture is a little better from a Strato. Especially if I have a 4K TV hooked up to it. I think that I have read that it either upconverts the HD quality movies or at least is a little crisper. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I have a Strato at a 2nd home and absolutely love the picture. I would keep the 3U for any DVD's, non store content, home movies, and emergency space for even the store content. So I guess that begs the question, is the quality of the Strato (picture and sound) any different/better than an M series player?

Yes, that's a good question. I am waiting on my 4K projector to arrive so I can compare. I also have a Lumagen Pro video processor for upscaling my content on my 3U. There are also a lot of HD content that does not have that good of quality video (in my opinion) so if I see a do see difference I could see adding a Terra server sooner than anticipated so that I could have high quality HD titles available through the Strato.

John

Back