• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Premier 3U Download from Store Issue/Question

Calm-One

After checking the forums for similar issues

I recently bought a couple titles from the Store and also noticed I had a bunch of "updates" available for existing content. Had to have those "updates".

A few terabytes of downloads later this past weekend, something seems to have broken despite a static network build - meaning no recent changes.

I went from reasonable for my Internet bandwidth download times for many of said downloads, to miserable. Meaning 30x the time it took for a majority of my downloads just days ago. I think I could get better downloads over Ethernet over barbed wire.

Two "update" titles seem to have triggered this, Kill Bill Vol 1, and Matrix Revolutions.

I have done a full power reboot of the Premier 3U server and Comcast router; no improvement.
The 3U has all blue lights. Network port LEDs are normal.
The Ethernet switch shows no abnormal packet counters for the wired ports involved.
The firewall has no alarms for the 3U's IP identity.
I can access the 3U GUI just fine, and verified download speeds are set at at 100Mbps. No alarms, temperature normal.
All other devices are accessing public Internet fine. DNS resolution is fine.

I performed a network capture, this doesn't appear to be a speed/duplex mismatch; but there is traffic. The K Store acknowledges connectivity as well.
I have unlimited bandwidth from my ISP (Comcast - business), so I don't suspect throttling plus the 3U is the only affected element.

I think I have T/S'd this as best I could on my side, wish I could see the 3U logs though.

Thoughts? Could this be a problem in the store?

Just to be clear, the system is working fine, you're able to play content, see the browser interface, and so on, but downloads to the 3U are much slower than they were before? If that's the case, it could certainly be related to the connection to our headend services. I'd suggest reaching out to our support team so that they can investigate.

I find sometimes downloads are also slower than others but no pattern established for me and generally they top out at 200Mbs if going to my 3U and 870Mbs if going to the Terra. I also find HDR / UHD downloads faster then BluRay quality when all are directed to the Terra so likely headend and how the content is delivered rather than throttling by the ISP (in my case anyway) but all up I just let them run and enjoy the content after it is on the system. As MIke suggests contact support if needed.

I wish I had the problem of speeds above 100Mbps which might be taxing the K hardware - 3U, but I don't think it's the case here.

Just for reference, from the screen grab below, I can d/l a title in about an hour on average; I view that as a solid baseline.
But the slowdown initially dropped this to five hours, then to just over 49 hours (1.6 Mbps avg) for the one title, then back to 2 in the most recent.

I did put a support ticket into Comcast as even though I am not supposed to be data throttled beyond bandwidth I had to ask - Comcast Business "verified" that no accidental throttling, or Comcast rerouting issue existed.

Note: From the second image my first d/l of Matrix Revolutions was aborted; the first I noticed the slowdown. That d/l was already several hours and hadn't passed the 20% mark. Pause/Resume worked but didn't improve speeds.

I am going to take MikeKobb's invite of opening a support ticket; I thought that was probably not an option as this component is way out of support. I would like piece of mind that it is or is not the component; I am fine with blaming the "cloud."

Still open to ideas. Weird how this works as designed for about a decade, and then an abnormality... LoL

kscape.png

kscape.png

Perhaps headend capacity as a mixed bag for me but generally I can't (and don't complain) complain 1648745260627.png

1648745397001.png

Good idea to check with K support. I have a 3U that was getting low download speeds (half normal - so not as drastic as yours). K checked and found one of my drives was going bad. Replaced it and downloads went back to normal.

John

JohnJ: Going bad. But not bad enough to mark the drive bad and use the spare, or rely on the parity drive if you didn't have a spare?

This is interesting, was considering such as I have had HDD bad sectors goof up both personal PC and network SAN file copies despite HDD management/firmware techniques to avoid such.

I launched another small wave of downloads. Two went normalish. The current download of the original Austin Powers seems to be another d/l abnormality.

kscape.png

Ugh.

As to your first question above, JohnJ is correct, I've seen this twice in the past with client systems, and neither had a drive bad enough to exceed the threshold needed to trigger the failed drive alert and subsequent HS rebuild. K was able to locate a drive, or drives, that had read/write errors that slowed importing/downloading when writing to the suspect drive(s). Once they were replaced, the system performance improved.

I'm not saying that's the issue in your case, but he is correct to mention it. (I almost did earlier, but figured support would mention it if relevant.)

Jim

Yes, drive was not flagged as bad on my system but when K checked and said it looked like it was getting ready to fail and putting out lots of error messages.

John

Edit: Exactly what Jim said.

Two quick things.

1. FWIW, I downloaded Austin Powers day before yesterday, and it downloaded in 4 minutes flat to my Terra. So I know that at least as of a couple of days ago, the headend services were properly configured for that title to be fast.

2. Support doesn't end when a component is out of warranty. If you have a Kaleidescape component and you're having trouble with it, you can absolutely give us a call or drop an email. For some issues, it may be appropriate to contact your dealer first. In this case, I don't think you dealer would be able to do much beyond escalating it to our support team, so I'd say just reach out directly.

Back