• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Pre-owned systems; what happens to the MOVIES?

tominwi

We have a Marketplace section, and there are plenty of K-things for sale elsewhere, but I can't seem to find any discussions about what happens to the programs that might be on the hard drives of these systems.

I expect that people with disc vaults will empty them of discs before sale, but what about digitial copies on hard drives? Do purchasers of these used systems effectively get ownership rights? Or maybe there's a "Close my Account" button that makes it easy to return a K-system to Factory Defaults, like e.g. an Apple iPhone?

What about a buyer of a used system (with movies on it) signing-up for a K-account; what does K make of existing movies, that used to belong to the prior owner's account?

Maybe the answer is: "Dealers could tell you but then they'd have to kill you" i.e. there's some witche's brew that only authorized dealers know how to cook. And actually that would be fine with me because my major worry with buying-into K-world is that they survive. So I hope they have this rights stuff all nailed-down?

First, before used Servers (including all Player/Server combo's, i.e. C1, Strato-S, etc.) are shipped to a new owner, the Seller is supposed to either delete all content, or ship the physical discs with the Server. Same with content downloaded from the K Store (minus the physical discs obviously). I cannot say what happens to content on a hard drive with downloaded movies from the Store when that now transferred component is re-registered for Store use by a new owner. Obviously, the new owner doesn't actually own that content.

Jim

I cannot say what happens to content on a hard drive with downloaded movies from the Store when that now transferred component is re-registered for Store use by a new owner. Obviously, the new owner doesn't actually own that content.
Sure, though I wonder what, if anything, K-scape might do about it. I doubt that they would recognize-and-delete, or fail to play, that content. Clearly if the new owner can play it and then somehow deletes it, they'd need to re-buy from K.

I suppose there is a Ts&Cs doc somewhere that might clarify this...

Thanks Jim.

Content downloaded from the store becomes unplayable when the system transfers to new ownership. Since the new account doesn't have ownership of that content, no playback authorisation keys are issued to the system. The content itself is not deleted from the hard drive however.

If the new owner buys any of the content from the store, the previously downloaded content will become playable without a need to redownload the content.

Content downloaded from the store becomes unplayable when the system transfers to new ownership. Since the new account doesn't have ownership of that content, no playback authorisation keys are issued to the system. The content itself is not deleted from the hard drive however.

If the new owner buys any of the content from the store, the previously downloaded content will become playable without a need to redownload the content.

Good answer, and very clear. Thank you John! :cool:

I figured I'd let K comment on that....thanks John.

Jim

Is it possible to sell/transfer one's store if they leave the Kaleidescape ecosystem?

Is it possible to sell/transfer one's store if they leave the Kaleidescape ecosystem?

I guess that anyone leaving the K ecosystem could simply share the email address associated to the K store account and the password?

Seems like if you are actually selling your rights to the movies (and never have access again), you would change the email address and name in your account to the new person? Might also have to change the dealer or other things. Not sure what that would do with digital rights for UV titles.... SJ

UV rights are tied to the UV account. I can't speak to the legality but if you left Kaleidescape users do have the technical ability to change the account: name, email, and password. Let's just hope if you do that you also remove your credit card from the account before you do.

But you can only have one UV account tied to a box / system so if you already have an account there might not be a benefit unless the box has more than your existing UV account.

Of course UV did open up account merge until it goes down so you could merge your existing account with one from used box and they would combine and become yours officially, and possibly legally.

I think transfer of store account ownership is a good question, and thought it might have an official answer by now. I'll try to get K's take on this question, hard to believe it hasn't already come up, but perhaps it hasn't given the satisfaction level of K owners in general.

Jim

Last edited:
I checked with Kaleidescape. I asked if it were possible to transfer Store purchased content to a new owner if the current owner sold the system and left the K ecosystem. The answer I received was "Store purchases are NOT transferable." There was no additional comment.

Jim

Just like the fine print on all the UV code slips that state the code is not for resale, non transferable, yahda yahda... I'm sure the T&C from the movie store says the same thing. Like it or not, that's the way it is with digital purchases.

Yes, this is not unique to Kaleidescape, the same license agreement language exists with all digital content providers, including Movies Anywhere. They all make it clear we don't actually "own" the content, it is licensed to us personally, to "use" under their terms, and all of these providers state the license in non-transferable, cannot be resold, etc.. I guess it can be thought of as a single payment "rental."

Jim

As the OP, I was completely happy with this "official" answer:

But now as I've learned more about Digital, and having redeemed a few packaged codes with BDs to see what that's about, it clarifies for me the MA interest here. If one has rights to a movie registered with MA, it would be very nice if KS recognized that and would grant keys.

Back