• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Phantom Movie Title Entry - DB Issue?

Calm-One

Has anyone had an issue where a title shows up, but it has never been imported via disc or downloaded?

I have a 3U system with two players where Batman & Robin Blu-Ray is showing up in Movies.

There is no import record for this title.

I don't own this title nor have I downloaded this.

I might be able to erase it, but being in IT, I would like to understand a root cause before blindly doing so.

I do have a couple other Batman titles; the Keaton one (none of the sequels though) and the newer Nolan series.

I do have the audio soundtrack imported for this title and it does show up properly under music.

Thoughts?

I would let K support deal with this. I wonder if others have phantom titles on their systems?

What happens when you try to play a phantom title?

I have had recent issues of both movie and music coverart regressing to something other than what it was before...I have put a new feature suggestion forward that once a title is correctly identified that it can be locked out of any changes brought about by movie/music guide db updates.

Has anyone had an issue where a title shows up, but it has never been imported via disc or downloaded.

Snip

Thoughts?

It is possible that one of the other Batman discs that you imported contains two different movies on the disc. In situations like that, the movie guide team bookmarks each of the movies as two separate entries and they show as distinct line items on the movie list.

The only active options I get when I select the title are to "Return" and "Add to Collection". One inactive option is shown; "Play Trailer". No other options or shown.

In working with my dealer, which opened ticket 115512 on this, the report back was strange and I didn't get the feeling that root cause was identified in anyway.

Now the issue has returned.

Hopefully forum opinion will trump tech support. :)

I was asked what happens when I delete the phantom title.

Well, it goes to trash, and then when you empty the trash, it really is gone.

Having not noticed at the time of the above actions, when I went to import another title a couple of days later I noticed the "ready to eject disc" and pressed ok.

Sure enough it was the standard Batman Blu-ray. I then went to look at the catalog and both Batman and the Batman & Robin title were missing from it.

Hoping for the best, I re-inserted Batman for importing.

I have both titles back in the catalog. Batman is ready to play; it also shows the "edit movie details" and "eject disc" buttons when selected. Batman & Robin cannot be played; it only shows "edit movie details" when selected.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
This sounds like a movie guide database issue. When you go to the web UI>movies>collections>movies missing video bookmarks is Batman in the list?

Nope to the Collection -> Movies Missing Video Bookmarks; neither Batman nor Batman & Robin are present.

I do see three other items in there; surprised that Disney's Pinocchio is one of the three. . .

Open to other thoughts.

If Batman is showing "edit movie details" but it has video bookmarks seems whacky to me. If a title has video bookmarks means Kaleidescape has processed the disc, meaning there should be no need for the edit movie details option (because Kaleidescape have already entered this information correctly via bookmarking process).

I do see three other items in there; surprised that Disney's Pinocchio is one of the three...

Sounds like you need to make an appointment with Becky to get those titles video bookmarked, and send the Batman disc to them as well to see if they can replicate the issue you're seeing.

I sent off my copy of Pinocchio for bookmarking a few weeks ago (UK R2 disc). Interestingly it got fully processed and bookmarked - along with a bunch of others - but is still sitting on my 'Movies Missing Video Bookmarks' list. I queried the guys who did the bookmarking (was subcontracted to a Swiss K dealer). They suggested deleting then re importing the movie. Even after doing this, it's still sitting on the exception list.

Oddly, I don't see any missing options when in the K GUI - Play Movie is available.

It's not a big deal - just.. untidy. I have a feeling the issue is with the second special features disc rather than the main movie. When I get time I'll try deleting and only importing the main Feature to check. Odd though given I sent both main and special features discs off to be bookmarked.

For the record, I have 2 other movies with the same behaviour - ie they were sent off for bookmarking, show all the right options in the K GUI (Play Movie or Play Episode), yet are on the 'Movies Missing Video Bookmarks' list: "The Pacific" and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2".

Rgds
Simon

I sent off my copy of Pinocchio for bookmarking a few weeks ago (UK R2 disc). Interestingly it got fully processed and bookmarked - along with a bunch of others - but is still sitting on my 'Movies Missing Video Bookmarks' list...

Is your system connecting to Kaleidescape services? Perhaps your movie guide db hasn't refreshed? I see this if I start a server that hasn't been connected for a while, it will have an old version of the movie guide db and some titles that I know have been video bookmarked will appear in the movies missing video bookmarks collection. The problem usually resolves itself after a day or so once the system has called home...

My system is up to date - called back to K services earlier today. The behaviour with these 3 movies, which I'm sure have been appropriately bookmarked, is just.. odd.

I strongly suspect that for all 3 the issue is with the special features disc - all of them have a separate special features disc. This would explain the lack of obvious gaps in the GUI - access to special features is via Play Disc, which would also be the behaviour if the bookmarks weren't in place for these discs.

As I say, when I get some time I'll fully delete all 3 then re-import without the special feature disc to see if they drop off the exceptions list. Odd anomaly, but not the end of the world.

Simon

Update: I happened to check on this after importing a few new titles. The phantom title has mysteriously went away. There is nothing in the import log detailing this activity.

Strange, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. . .

In working with my dealer, which opened ticket 115512 on this, the report back was strange and I didn't get the feeling that root cause was identified in anyway.

Now the issue has returned.

Hopefully forum opinion will trump tech support. :)

I was asked what happens when I delete the phantom title.

Well, it goes to trash, and then when you empty the trash, it really is gone.

Having not noticed at the time of the above actions, when I went to import another title a couple of days later I noticed the "ready to eject disc" and pressed ok.

Sure enough it was the standard Batman Blu-ray. I then went to look at the catalog and both Batman and the Batman & Robin title were missing from it.

Hoping for the best, I re-inserted Batman for importing.

I have both titles back in the catalog. Batman is ready to play; it also shows the "edit movie details" and "eject disc" buttons when selected. Batman & Robin cannot be played; it only shows "edit movie details" when selected.

Any thoughts?

I am noticing a few Disney US blu-ray titles as showing up as "missing video bookmarks".

Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Milo's Return (2 Movie Collection)

The Emperor's New Groove / Kronk's New Groove (2 Movie Collection)

Lilo & Stitch / Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2 Movie Collection)

Pinocchio

Is it something specific to Disney titles?

I am a bit surprised as I would think Disney titles would be "better than average" saleswise / popularity with the marketing hooks Disney has into children so Kscape would add these to inventory and process these titles pretty quickly. . .

My system is up to date - called back to K services earlier today. The behaviour with these 3 movies, which I'm sure have been appropriately bookmarked, is just.. odd.

I strongly suspect that for all 3 the issue is with the special features disc - all of them have a separate special features disc. This would explain the lack of obvious gaps in the GUI - access to special features is via Play Disc, which would also be the behaviour if the bookmarks weren't in place for these discs.

As I say, when I get some time I'll fully delete all 3 then re-import without the special feature disc to see if they drop off the exceptions list. Odd anomaly, but not the end of the world.

Simon

Back