• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Our decoding prayers have been answered! I found a solution to get high res LPCM over HDMI out of our K Players

I have been patiently waiting for K to do something with the Strato to decode to LPCM, but it does not appear imminent. I also have a premier system. Now I only have to figure out how to get both systems connected through the 621. Too bad the 203 has only 1 input unlike the 103. Maybe a switching device of some kind. I guess if I had to pick just one, it will be the Strato to the 203 until such time (if any) that it gets upgraded to decode to LPCM as they originally planned. Then I could attach the premier system to the 203 and the Strato directly to the 621.

I am also hoping that Meridian comes out with updates, either software or hardware, for their 621 and 861 to allow processing of the newer codecs. Bitstream will have to be addressed at some point. That seems to be another dream that could be years in the making.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
I have been begging Meridian for years to make a 621+ or something or other that would handle the decoding. As I see it, they could sell it as an upgrade to their entire base because (I will assume this part) they would have class leading decoding and jitter reduction and then pass it along to the 861 or other M processor with their MHR... As long as the resulting product wouldn't be absurdly priced, I think it would sell. I also asked some other companies. It seems there was no interest. I can't figure out why besides for limited audience but I also wonder if there is a licensing issue I am not aware of.

Yeah the 203 is input limited but since we are not dealing with 4K sources, I think just about any quality HDMI switcher would work. If you have a video processor you could possibly use that as well?

Finally, although ~$550 is a decent expense, as you have 2 sources you need decoding for and a switcher introduces too much complexity, I suppose you could always just buy a 2nd 203... Its just a thought. If you consider it as a % of your K and M systems its very small but I don't like to spend money needlessly. It just seems here it might be a straight forward way to go and no new programming of a HDMI switch needed. In my case, with the Lumagen, I think I'd try going through the processor first as that would handle switching duties.... I might even end up setting it up to do just that when I reorganize my system in a few months.

Thanks, Jerry.

You share many of my feelings regarding Meridian. I toured their factory last year and they have some great people and products. They have never been known for being the first out with new technology (barring MQA). They evaluate for a while and then develop the best possible product they can. I just wish they would step up the pace just a little.

Your idea of two 203s is not that far fetched. I just don't have room in my rack for that. Well, even getting one player up to full capability will be nice. I may get back to you once I get the 203 installed if I need set up assistance (its here, just haven't had time to take the cabinet/rack apart). I will also be trying out ARC from the TV to the 203 to see if that works. I have read that it may.

Wayne

That must have been so much fun Wayne! Maybe the next time I find myself in the UK I will see if I can go visit Meridian.

I have been a fan since I became aware of Meridian in the mid 90s. Back then they were really at the forefront of digital audio. They arguably built the first audiophile CD player in I think it was the late 80s. Then they turned their sights to active and then digital active speakers. The idea of using DSP instead of passive crossovers was a big deal because you could have the benefits of a more aggressive crossover without the side effects. I am sure there are purists who didn't appreciate this because back then processing power was limited and I bet there were downsides they could hear. But I thought the Meridian speakers were wonderful. Just outside my price range at the time. I remember when they came out with the 861. They literally wrote their own Dolby Digital decoding algorithm. They really were at the front. When I heard the DSP 8000 at CES 2001 I knew this was the speaker for me. My goodness! I still remember the demo: DVD-A playing The Doors "Riders on the Storm".

They have made a lot of innovations since then but it seems the headline stealing ones aren't as many. Do you know the algorithm for Dolby TruHD is really Meridian Lossless Packing? Thats why the screen shot of Star Trek above says for input: MLP.

And now MQA. Very impressive stuff. Bob Stuart is brilliant and he has a brilliant team.

My critique is they have seemingly left the home theater side alone for too long. I think this leaves them open to attack from an array of new comers with their new processors that can do everything. The 861 in current version really can't do all that right now. Even if Mr. Stuart and team feel the 861's performance is still at the top, the problem is the marketplace does not sit still and they cannot afford to be seen as no longer a leader.

My hope is they will do a big update to the 861 or maybe even a new flagship processor that can handle all these formats as well as height channels etc and improved room correction etc.

Shoot me a PM anytime. Could you place a 203 on top of your rack? My rack is now a near disaster because Ive changed so many components over the years. Hence its nearly time for a Spring Cleaning, though it will be more like a total reboot of the racks. I'm also changing the control system. Its 16 years old and on its last legs.

Hi Jerry,

I tried connecting my Strato to the Oppo 203 using HDMI 2 (audio only) out into the Oppo HDMI in. I set the Strato to bitstream and sure enough I get full blown decoding of DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD sent to my Meridian 861. It sounds great!

Unfortunately, when not playing a movie, such as when looking at the movie list or cover art, the audio to the 861 alternates between 2ch and multi-channel causing the 861 to switch from "PLII Movie" and "Cinema" accompanied by the relay clicking sound which is so annoying. Interestingly, this only seems to be an issue after watching a movie and then looking for another one. The first attempt at locating a movie and playing it seems to go smoothly.

I tried changing settings on both the Oppo and the Strato to no avail. It bothers me so much that I changed it back to the original connections. It still sounds really nice on this system and is much less bothersome to me than having the relay noise. Hopefully, Meridian will come up with updated versions of the 861 and 621 someday, but I am not holding my breath.

I did not try setting up the M500 in the same way. Maybe, because it is a single HDMI with both video and audio, it may work better. Neither did I try using the Strato main HDMI out through the Oppo.

Any thoughts, Jerry? Mike Kobb, if you see this, any ideas on audio settings for the Strato to insure it always puts out multi-channel or some kind of more stable audio format even in the menu screens? I don't know if that is even possible.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,
I can tell you with my M700 the 861 does not alternate between modes whilst not watching a movie, but after maybe a few minutes the 861 will register no signal coming in as my center speaker will say data. My 861 is in an equipment room so I wouldn't hear it if it were going back and forth but I would worry about constant relay clicking as well. I think using the main video out of the Strato could work if you are not using it for 4K. if you are then I think that would be a problem as it would confuse the 621.

Although very low tech, since you are not routing the video through the 621, you could just go to a different input on the 861 whilst browsing movies. Its another step every time, but... once you fire up the movie you should be fine and if you have a programmable remote it might be possible to setup a macro...

And another idea could be to get an HDMI booster or EDID "adjuster" such as this one

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hd-edidpn.jsp?prod_id=14859

the idea being that it always keeps a constant signal going to the 621- I suspect somewhere between the Strato, the 203 and the 621 the signal / handshake is terminating and then reestablishing and thus the 861 is going between modes.

They also make a signal booster. But its 2x the price. Not sure if that boosting the signal might help??

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-hdboost-141.jsp?prod_id=11259

Wayne, this also leads me to ask a near insane question- have you checked your cables recently? I know it sounds crazy- but I used to have an intermittent problem and I traced it back to a bad network cable. It was fine for a while and then just went bad?! You might want to try different HDMI cables... And you are using the Audio Out HDMI on the Oppo, correct?

Thanks, Jerry.

As I am using the main out on the Strato for 4K video, I would rather not go through the Oppo. It may work as the main HDMI out of the Oppo is also directly wired to the display and Secondary HDMI used for audio to the 621. Still, as I like how everything works so well otherwise, I am hesitant to do too much.

I will also look into your other suggestions.

Checking cables is always a good troubleshooting technique. I ran all new certified cables when I installed the Oppo and the Strato, except for the Oppo audio out to the 621. As this works perfectly when playing discs in the Oppo, I don't think it is part of the problem.

Will give it some thought and try again when I am up to it.

Thanks again.

Wayne

Back