• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Our decoding prayers have been answered! I found a solution to get high res LPCM over HDMI out of our K Players

JerryL

The Cambridge Audio CXU.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu

Its a BR player but Cambridge bills it as a multimedia hub and even as a preamp- as it can do volume control- even digital volume control.

But most important for us, it has 2 HDMI inputs.

I have long thought the best hope for us would be one of these BR players that also has inputs- so we could make use of the internal decoding. But to date, every player with an HDMI input has had fine print that says the internal decoded is bandwidth limited when dealing with the HDMI input.

This player has no such fine print.

So I took a bit of a flier on the player and ordered one.

Hooked it up last night and........ it works!

And it sounds excellent.

Its been a few years since my last workaround stopped working (modded receiver) so I've been listening to the core audio for a while. But from memory, this sounds better.

I had to set up the player to output LPCM over HDMI and setup the speakers- just like with a preamp- I just told it 0 distance and 0 for levels and all speakers set to large since I will let my actual processor handle those tasks.

I wanted to play with it some more today before posting.

Short version: it works, it works, it works!!!

It isn't the cheapest thing ever, its $1,300. But neither is it the price of a new K Player and I think Cambridge does give value for money- they say they have a lot of anti jitter stuff in there- it seems to deliver. At least to my ears. Full disclosure: I have mild tinnitus in both ears. Its not too bad and a recent hearing test shows I can hear all the frequencies I should for a 46 year old male.

The thing that stands out to me is greater dynamic range, clearer vocals, and more apparent details and life to the sound.

In my case the chain is as follows:

M700 (bitstream audio selected)->Geffen HDMI Splitter (helped me with HDMI handshake)-> Cambridge CXU-> Lumen Radiance XE -> Meridian HD621 (convert from HDMI to their ethernet format) -> Meridian 861 v6

I tried it without the Geffen and the sound kept cutting in and out- it was locking and not locking and it was as if it kept losing its "handshake". So I stuck the Geffen in between.. it has a switch to handle the EDID stuff on its own. it solved the problem. This might not be the cleanest chain but it works for me for now.

Fired it right up with some Gravity, Avatar, Apollo 13... all showing up as 96k coming in to my 861. Unfortunately the Cambridge and the Meridian 621 don't show the incoming and out going signal rates- so I am left to just say, gee this all sounds great... But it sure does sound great. I can hear the difference. I came home early today to try out Jurassic World. Fun movie- especially the ending. And the sound is really really nice.

This should work for anyone with a K setup and Meridian or any other system that requires the player to decode the formats to LPCM. I think Krell had one that required it also.....

The Cambridge has other party tricks like picture controls and Drabee enhancement- I keep all that in Neutral or off- but as an aside- this seems like a genuine attempt by them to make something that could act as the center of a nice system.

In my case the cost is a small % of my total system cost so its worth it.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for such a solution.

Last edited:
Great find Jerry, and a workable solution for all the Meridian folks (if you can afford the Meridian, you can afford the Player:D).

Jim

Right! And the player also boasts up sampling. I tried playing a DVD from my K system and it worked flawlessly also. Sounded good.

I know those of us with this issue are few, but we do exist. Its nice there is a turn key black box we can go to.

For now I'm just leaving the unit on, with its power down mode disabled. I don't think it will harm the unit as its well ventilated- lots of space all around and I keep my equipment room temp to a cool 62F.

I'm probably going to buy a second one as a backup because you just never know. But first I want to spend more time with it.

Its also nice I'm now getting true high res 7.1. Before I was getting high res 5.1.

I might try running it so all my sources go through the Cambridge so I can get their decoding and up sampling for everything.

For now I'm just really happy.

I'm not normally a fan of picture enhancers, but the Darbee really does provide a solid improvement in picture quality (assuming you adjust the level to something reasonable). I bought a free-standing unit and dropped it in my system about a year ago and it is probably the best $200 I've ever spent on video.

I would be curious to see how this stacks up against the comparable Oppo in both price and feature set. I expect performance would be essentially identical.

I have a feeling you're right about that. I want to try the Darbee and goof with it. I was really concerned with getting up and running. Thanks for the feedback. It will be curious to see what affect it has.

My purely gut feeling for whatever that is worth, this player probably edges the Oppo in terms of audio and likely matches it or perhaps again just edges it in terms of video.

Overall I'm very impressed with the job Cambridge did with this machine.

I think Cambridge rebadged most of an Oppo in another of their earlier BR Players (but modified the audio section IIRC), so I wonder what % of this player, if any, is actually an Oppo. In any case, if it solves the problem of internal decoding, great!

Jim

I'm not normally a fan of picture enhancers, but the Darbee really does provide a solid improvement in picture quality (assuming you adjust the level to something reasonable). I bought a free-standing unit and dropped it in my system about a year ago and it is probably the best $200 I've ever spent on video.

I would be curious to see how this stacks up against the comparable Oppo in both price and feature set. I expect performance would be essentially identical.

So Darbee has two models, the 5000 and the 5100. Interestingly, the 5000's are out of stock right now. Anyway, looks like the main difference is that the 5100 can handle input and output cable lengths that are way longer.

The question I have is how does using cat5 range extenders figure into that? My guess is they "hide" the range and so long as the actual HDMI cable is under the limits the 5000 needs, it won't know or care that there are range extenders in the mix. But is that true?

I've got a projector so far away from the sources that it has to have range extenders. But even at 1080, the screen is so big (13') that I see lots of pixelation in skin tones and such via DirecTV sources, anyway. I'm guessing one of these might help that a lot?

--Donnie

I could tell with the earlier Cambridge player- the external shell had the same exact input and button and disc drawer locations and even looked a lot like the Oppo. And the menus were the same.

This one doesn't seem to be rebadged in that vein, maybe its reworked a lot. Likely Oppo or someone else is building it for them.

But the internal decoding is the key here.

As for video, the one thing that lets me watch Satellite TV on my projection setup is the Radiance. I have the XE which is years old now. But they have really great noise and detail controls and while I usually try to not mess with that stuff, I find their enhancements really do help with Sat TV.

I've even come around to using the Adaptive Contrast for BR content- I use it in its lowest setting- it just gives a tiny bit of extra punch to the image and I like it.

I'm sorry Donnie, I might have misread your post. Are you asking how to handle HDMI signal degradation? I would imagine the best move would be to use one of those CAT5/6 convertors rather than really long HDMI cables.

Last edited:
I could tell with the earlier Cambridge player- the external shell had the same exact input and button and disc drawer locations and even looked a lot like the Oppo. And the menus were the same.

This one doesn't seem to be rebadged in that vein, maybe its reworked a lot. Likely Oppo or someone else is building it for them.

But the internal decoding is the key here.

As for video, the one thing that lets me watch Satellite TV on my projection setup is the Radiance. I have the XE which is years old now. But they have really great noise and detail controls and while I usually try to not mess with that stuff, I find their enhancements really do help with Sat TV.

I've even come around to using the Adaptive Contrast for BR content- I use it in its lowest setting- it just gives a tiny bit of extra punch to the image and I like it.

I'm sorry Donnie, I might have misread your post. Are you asking how to handle HDMI signal degradation? I would imagine the best move would be to use one of those CAT5/6 convertors rather than really long HDMI cables.

So.... it does NOT do internal decoding of 7.1 signals coming in off of HDMI...

From their web site:

The CXU will accept Dolby Digital and DTS (not Tru HD and Master HD), PCM and DSD audio (2.8MHz, 64FS) via the HDMI and digital inputs.

Are you SURE you got it to work ?

Or are you just getting 5.1 decoding ?

Mike

Well thats very interesting. This was not on their website when I placed the order. I read their FAQ very carefully.

I have my M700 setup to output Bitstream..... its possible the CXU is just reading the core audio and up sampling it. One would think if the format was not supported there would be no sound at all.

All I can tell you is the resulting sound is far better than when the M700 was decoding the core audio to LPCM....

I wonder if this is less a technical limitation and more a legal one and perhaps early players can do this? I'll have to dig out a movie and cue it up and try to A-B it to hear if there is a difference.

Thats a let down. But I don't want to post inaccurate information either. It appears we have to go back to square one for most of us. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited:
Well thats very interesting. This was not on their website when I placed the order. I read their FAQ very carefully.

I have my M700 setup to output Bitstream..... its possible the CXU is just reading the core audio.

All I can tell you is the resulting sound is far better than when the M700 was decoding the core audio to LPCM....

I wonder if this is less a technical limitation and more a legal one and perhaps early players can do this?

It appears we have to go back to square one for most of us. Thanks for posting it.

I bought one when they first came out (for something else), and it does not work.

If you press the "info" button on the CXU remote while the M700 is playing, info pops up on the screen and it will probably say that the HDMI input is seeing 5.1 data from the M700.

The Oppo players have the same limitation and their (Local) engineers have told me that the chip set simply will not do it...

Mike

You are right Mike. I'm really sorry for posting up inaccurate information up top.

I just tried a few A-B tests using Furious 7. Granted I had to take the disc out of my vault and then put it back in- but I don't hear any difference.

I also have my M700 setup as bitstream output- yet the CXU shows LPCM 5.1 48khz in.

What is interesting is how much better this sounds with the CXU in the system. Maybe its just some jitter reduction... and then my HD621 is up sampling as well as some jitter reduction....

Anyway, thanks for the information. We should probably just delete this thread.

This is a fascinating possibility. Thank you. I note the following language in the user manual...

Pass-Through Configuration
The system supports pass-through output for the following input types:
• Dolby Digital
• Dolby Digital Plus
• Dolby TrueHD (valid only for HDMI output)
If you select Passthrough for the HDMI output configuration, and the input is not supported by the HDMI downstream device, the system outputs multichannel PCM based on the input and HDMI downstream device capability.
If the output mode selected and the input type are not compatible, the DP580 outputs a two-channel downmix over the specified output, except for HDMI.

Do we think maybe the Oppo UDP-203 could be the answer we are looking for?.... I will note the last version of this player had language in the owners manual highlighting this conversion was not possible for the HDMI input. I always got the sense this was a chipset limitation. Maybe the new chipset will allow this?

From p.17:
The HDMI IN port on the rear of the player allows for the connection of native 4K content from external sources such as a streaming set-top box, cable/satellite boxes, game consoles, computers and even other Blu-ray and UHD players. The incoming signal is processed by the player and output to your connected devices, allowing you to take advantage of the player's built- in audio and video processing capabilities.

Well, it appears the Oppo 203 did the trick!!!!

Anyone who has a surround processor such as Meridian (or maybe Krell?) that requires LPCM in and also has a K Premiere System which doesn't do the decoding internally should benefit from this. All I did was hook the Kaleidescape to the Oppo 203's HDMI input and then use the HDMI video out to my Radiance and the HDMI Audio out to the Meridian 621.

Have a look!

K player set to bitstream output. I even over rode the EDID so it says the "receiver" (Oppo 203) decodes everything.

I'm getting delicious sound into my system.

I can hear the difference. There is just that extra dynamism and life/ air in the soundtracks. And for the first time ever I'm getting true 7.1 playback in my system and it sounds amazing!!!

Tell me if I'm wrong. I think this will do the trick for anyone else "suffering"!

Happy New Year!!

Attachments

• ssIMG_5878.jpg
    ssIMG_5878.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 20
  • ssFullSizeRender.jpg
    ssFullSizeRender.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 20
  • ssFullSizeRender-2.jpg
    ssFullSizeRender-2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 18
  • ssFullSizeRender-3.jpg
    ssFullSizeRender-3.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 16
Sorry Jerry, just saw the email, yes, looks like it is decoding correctly!!

Jim

Back