• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Options for remote

giri

Since Kscape did not ship remote, I am using the remote app on Android phone. How do I get subtitles and show info etc. Appreciate any pointers to understand remote app better. I don't see much buttons on it

I also wanted to buy a remote when available. It might take some time to decide universal remote or some control system and I am using individual remotes for my theater for the time being.

I have iphone but I assume it is the same on android.

John

If you are just looking for a cheap, separate remote until you decide on something more definitive, pretty well any multifunction, learning remote from a big box store or even a learning remote that may have come with your TV or other equipment can be programmed for basic functionality. Try inputing codes for a Toshiba or Kenwood DVD player and that should give you basic functions. It won't be as comprehensive as the phone app and I am not sure about the specifics in your post regarding subtitles and show info, but it may be worth a try.

Wayne

If you are just looking for a cheap, separate remote until you decide on something more definitive, pretty well any multifunction, learning remote from a big box store or even a learning remote that may have come with your TV or other equipment can be programmed for basic functionality. Try inputing codes for a Toshiba or Kenwood DVD player and that should give you basic functions. It won't be as comprehensive as the phone app and I am not sure about the specifics in your post regarding subtitles and show info, but it may be worth a try.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. I will try first mobile app. I can figure out how to show subtitles, change audio track etc. I can use swipe up. I was told there is an 'info' button as well while playing the movie.

The problem with app is we need to install on all our phones (kids and wife) or will try to use a tablet. I heard Kscape is coming up with a remote. I can wait for it too.

I wish there is a comprehensive guide or video on the remote part of the mobile app.

Last edited:
The best app to use is "Second Screen". Not sure if it's available for Android Tablets too.
I just got a dedicated iPad 6 for my media room, though I often run the Second Screen app on my MacBook Pro.

Since Kscape did not ship remote, I am using the remote app on Android phone. How do I get subtitles and show info etc. Appreciate any pointers to understand remote app better. I don't see much buttons on it

I also wanted to buy a remote when available. It might take some time to decide universal remote or some control system and I am using individual remotes for my theater for the time being.
Pretty sure Kaleidescape sells their remote for a very reasonable price. I'd recommend reaching out to them and buying one to use until you've decided on a universal remote solution.

Pretty sure Kaleidescape sells their remote for a very reasonable price. I'd recommend reaching out to them and buying one to use until you've decided on a universal remote solution.
True. Your dealer likely has a bunch sitting in a box somewhere. But if your Strato is not in a line of sight, it won't do any good, as the remote is InfraRed based, not IP based like the apps for phone and tablet.

The best app to use is "Second Screen". Not sure if it's available for Android Tablets too.
Second Screen is iPad only.

When using the remote on the mobile app on iOS or Android, once the movie is playing, you'll see a little "i" in a circle. Tap that to show the Playback Options overlay. (You can also swipe up as others have said.) Then navigate side to side to select things like subtitles and audio track.

Here's what the remote looks like during playback. You can see the little "i" in a circle there below and to the left of the cover image. That image is from iOS but it's the same on Android.

I should also point out that the system has subtitle preferences, so if there's a specific subtitle that you're trying to engage on every film, you can typically set that up once and then not have to mess with it.

IMG_0839.PNG

I was told a few months ago when I purchased my system that K had a new remote in the works, the ‘old’ one looked like it was made by Mattel ;). My dealer stills owes me one. Currently use my iPad which works great for me but a little learning curve.

I was told a few months ago when I purchased my system that K had a new remote in the works, the ‘old’ one looked like it was made by Mattel ;). My dealer stills owes me one. Currently use my iPad which works great for me but a little learning curve.
Sure they weren’t talking about the kids remote that K sold?

J
Sure they weren’t talking about the kids remote that K sold?
I was told this was the old one and a new one was in the works.
This literally looks like a toy, all plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.png
    IMG_0625.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 14
J

I was told this was the old one and a new one was in the works.
This literally looks like a toy, all plastic.
Saying a remote looks like a toy because it’s plastic is a bit of a stretch considering 95% of all remotes are made of plastic.

I’ve not heard there’s a new remote in the works, just that most of their customers didn’t need remotes because they used a control system or universal remote, so they stopped packaging them with the players.

But they did have an actual kid’s remote.

K offered two Remotes up until 6 months ago (approx.). There was a standard Remote that was included with all Players (including C1's and Stratos). There was also a "Child's" Remote, intended to be used by young children so they could only access content placed in the Child Collection. Neither of these Remote's is currently being sold by K. There wasn't a big demand for the Child's Remote, and the Standard Remote apparently wasn't being used much because most owner's had control systems, or preferred the App.

K has apparently decided to bring back a handheld Remote, and the comments above regarding this new Remote are accurate. I'm not sure when it will be available, but it is supposed to be this year.

Jim

Back