• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Oppenheimer

None of Nolan's movies switch on K that I'm aware of. There are only a couple movies with switching aspects on K. This is also the case with most other digital retailers.

Shouldn't that fly in the face of being Filmmaker Mode certified?
No. Filmmaker mode is for image "enhacements" that can't be turned off like noise reduction, frame interpolation and more. It has nothing to do with aspect ratio. Also, it isn't K that is limiting the VAR, it is the file the STUDIO provided. They didn't take the movie and crop it. Besides, 2.2 is exactly what was provided to all digital cinemas AT NOLAN'S BEHEST when it played in cinemas. He only opened the frame in IMAX cinemas (wonder why, and yes that is rhetorical).

All of these AR's are forcing me to move to Stewart's Director's Choice screen....

Jim
Goes to Google.... falls off chair in awe! LOL

Goes to Google.... falls off chair in awe! LOL

Been available for awhile from other manufacturers.

Stewart's had it available for quite awhile as well, we've sold a few, one to a Producer and two to actors, so only industry people to this point. I was half-kidding about changing my Cinecurv screen to the DC, but I figure if I keep talking about it maybe I'll convince myself to add it to my main theater. 😁

Jim

I have the EVO variable aspect screen from Stewart and love it. I don't see the point in the Director's one unless you are going constant area as it just adds a bunch of complication and kind of defeats of the purpose of what aspects are designed around.

Does anyone know if Kaleidescape will be releasing the 3 hours of special features for Oppenheimer that is available if you buy the disc version of Oppenheimer? I purchased and downloaded Oppenheimer from Kaleidescape and there are no special features that I can locate.

Does anyone know if Kaleidescape will be releasing the 3 hours of special features for Oppenheimer that is available if you buy the disc version of Oppenheimer? I purchased and downloaded Oppenheimer from Kaleidescape and there are no special features that I can locate.
This is one of the main things that keeps me from buying all of my movies on K. Lots of movies are missing the special features. I bought a physical copy of Oppenheimer.

This was Nolan’s decision, not K’s. That is why it is not VAR on any digital service, only on disc.

You can catalogue a 4K disc, but it will just show up as a HD copy…
Wait. Is this true? I was upset that studios have stopped including Blu-ray Discs with their 4k Discs so I’ve actually stopped buying the 4k if the Blu-ray was not included. Instead I only buy the Blu-ray just so that I can do the D2D. If that’s true, I’ll buy the 4k discs instead.

Wait. Is this true? I was upset that studios have stopped including Blu-ray Discs with their 4k Discs so I’ve actually stopped buying the 4k if the Blu-ray was not included. Instead I only buy the Blu-ray just so that I can do the D2D. If that’s true, I’ll buy the 4k discs instead.
Yes, so long as you have an approved external drive that can play those discs. (It won’t work on Kaleidescape’s own Alto or Cinema One)

add me to the list of disappointed purchasers of Oppenheimer through the Kaleidescape store. LOVED the movie, but was then so hungry for at least SOME good extra features, only to find that there weren't any at all with this purchase.

I hope Kaleidescape can add them at some point.

I really think that for Kaleidescape to really be the premium way to buy movies, that things like extra features should always be included if the studio has and offers them on physical media.

add me to the list of disappointed purchasers of Oppenheimer through the Kaleidescape store. LOVED the movie, but was then so hungry for at least SOME good extra features, only to find that there weren't any at all with this purchase.

I really think that for Kaleidescape to really be the premium way to buy movies, that things like extra features should always be included if the studio has and offers them on physical media.
I don’t ever watch extras so I don’t have a dog in the fight. But I understand the basic idea.

Once again, tho, I’d point out that no other digital provider has 3 hours of extras like the disc is being advertised. The digital extras seem to be around 70 minutes.

My guess is that Nolan is holding back extras for the disc and his whole agenda, and I’d also imagine certain studios are probably trying to charge distributors extra for the extras, which would result in a higher sale price.

I have a hard enough time finding the time to watch the movies on my list let alone extras, which will most likely be readily available on YouTube within a few days of the discs release.

There are 7 extras included in the HD version. Maybe not as much as the disc, but start there!

Back