• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Online Store - A couple questions

Calm-One

All,

The press release contains the following items, I am just curious about some details, does anyone know the answers?

For the first point, there is the statement of "up to 1080p/24". Two questions, a) how can I tell that HD content that I purchase is actually 1080p/24 and not a lower resolution prior to purchase and once downloaded and b) how can I tell what audio encoding is there prior to purchase and after?

For the second point, there is a statement of "automatic ultraviolet rights for both new purchases and titles acquired during the beta period". I obtained Big Bang Theory Seasons 2-5 SD during beta. I have upgraded them to HD since beta. I have not seen the Ultraviolet rights for "titles acquired during the beta period". I have seen Ultraviolet show up for a Cloud Atlas purchase (also since Beta). My Kscape dealer "has to ask the rep" but I got the impression that issues with "online" purchases will be supported by Kscape directly and not the dealer [the dealer was in no way cross about this]. So two questions, a) is it really true that you should get the Ultraviolet copy for new and beta purchases? b) who is supposed to support you for online store related issues?

From the press release on the official website:

? Blu-ray quality content with video resolution up to 1080p/24 and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio lossless soundtracks;

? Automatic UltraViolet rights for both new purchases and titles acquired during the beta period, with mobile playback from the Flixster app and website;

Thoughts?

Cheers

I read "up to" as a way of including SD and HD. The only details I know of for audio on movies are on the download page listed under additional info. I expect this is source dependant.

UV seems very much to be a work in progress. I expect more titles will be enabled as time progresses.

Last time I looked no content in the UK store had yet gained UV rights.

One thing of interest to me is that the UK and US stores do not have identical versions of the same movies. I occasionally get US discs sent over to the UK if I prefer that version. There is still life in the shiny disc.

Calm-One brings up a good point.

Kaleidescape could do a better job of showing EXACTLY what you're getting with a purchase (or a purchased "quality upgrade"). It definitely should show the actual resolution, audio format(s), and if the UV rights are included.

The studios are used to this of course. The backs of DVD and Blu-Ray cases have long shown icons and data for these types of things.

Kaleidescape should take the lead here and make sure their customers are very clear what they're purchasing.

Kaleidescape could do a better job of showing EXACTLY what you're getting with a purchase (or a purchased "quality upgrade"). It definitely should show the actual resolution, audio format(s), and if the UV rights are included.

The studios are used to this of course. The backs of DVD and Blu-Ray cases have long shown icons and data for these types of things.

Kaleidescape should take the lead here and make sure their customers are very clear what they're purchasing.

The store does show if UV rights are included. Titles that include a UV copy show the UV logo and the phrase, "Includes UltraViolet Copy" below the cover art on the movie detail page. This same phrase also appears on the purchase dialogue box (also below the cover art). If the logo and phrase isn't there, then the movie does not currently include a UV copy. This does not necessarily mean that it will never include one in the future. If a UV version is added at a later date, prior purchases will get the UV copy added to their locker automatically.

Audio format information is shown in the "Additional Information" section of the movie details page and includes actual audio formats and languages.

Video resolutions are not shown.

Calm-one: None of The Big Bang Theory packages currently include UV copies.

I would also like to know this info prior to purchases, including when the HD encoding was preformed. There is often more than one transfer of a movie and they are not created equal.

Use case for quality and other relevant information

I have trolled before in this thread about knowing the quality of the online downloadable content, so here is an interesting use case / question.

I recently acquired the latest re-release of Wizard of Oz; the 3D bundle with every format available short of VHS included.

I imported the 2D Blu Ray just fine. I noticed the title art wasn't the current cover.

I read a neat review about the title about how this particular release was a remastered version and is "better" than previous transfers.

I see the download in the Kscape store that allows me to go disc free.

How do I know if I am getting the current release, or the older, "not as good" release?

There are other titles out there with various release and transfers (Star Trek anyone?), so how can we tell before we hiy purchase?

K is aware that some folks are interested in knowing exactly which version is being purchased. I recently asked directly about LOR for the same reasons you are asking. I'd like to go disc free on that Trilogy but was unable to confirm that the store version is the "Extended" version. There is at least one person at K that believes it is, and believes the K Store is "selling the latest version" of the movie. That's great, if correct, but I'd still like to see the description mention it's the extended version before buying. I've already owned the original BR release and gave that up and bought the extended version when it was released, and I have no interest in backing up.

With a few exceptions, like that mentioned, I'm more than satisfied with the Store's operation and particularly happy with the "go disc free" option.

Jim

I wouldn't be surprised if their system linked re-releases to a common database entry, but I would think there would also need to be separate components for bookmarks/scenes/etc. Given that, shouldn't it know exactly which you have (at least for that disc anyway, maybe not which extra discs are packed-in) and only offer the same edition as disc-free?

Hmmm. Found the version by accident.

So the update is that in this particular use case. . .

After purchasing and downloading from the Kscape store the "go disc free" HD version on Wizard of Oz I can now see that the new 3D version (75th Anniversary) Wizard of Oz 2D Blu Ray which the system identified isn't the same.

First clue is the older cover art after initial import (could be common to the general title in the database per Transepoch).

Second clue is on the Kscape store under titles or by clickiing the title or from downloads as it is downloading or in queue to be downloaded, at the bottom is will show the real (full) title of what is being downloaded or was downloaded; in my case Downloading: The Wizard of Oz - 70th Anniversary Emerald Edition(Blu-ray Quality Download).

The third clue is probably to compare the supplemental content; but that would take work...

I do not think this is unique to this title. The "first clue" is also present with Blade Runner and the first Harry Potter .

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jim, I confirm that the trilogy is not the extended version see attached. I am keeping my BR discs for the time being. Not happy about it, but I am overally very satisfied with the store's operation.

K is aware that some folks are interested in knowing exactly which version is being purchased. I recently asked directly about LOR for the same reasons you are asking. I'd like to go disc free on that Trilogy but was unable to confirm that the store version is the "Extended" version. There is at least one person at K that believes it is, and believes the K Store is "selling the latest version" of the movie. That's great, if correct, but I'd still like to see the description mention it's the extended version before buying. I've already owned the original BR release and gave that up and bought the extended version when it was released, and I have no interest in backing up.

With a few exceptions, like that mentioned, I'm more than satisfied with the Store's operation and particularly happy with the "go disc free" option.

Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 31
The version of the movie is displayed on the movie details page and the purchase page. On the details page it is just under the title of the movie, and on the purchase page it is under the cover art of the movie.

Hope that helps clarify where to find this information, and if anyone has any questions please feel free to email me at brian.fairbanks@kaleidescape.com

Thanks,
Brian Fairbanks

Got it, thanks Telem.

Thank's for the input Brian. I realize not every "extended" edition will be offered, and I suspect that's probably studio driven.

Jim

Anyone know the current list of studios onboard for the store. I know Warner, and recently announced Lionsgate. Are there others?

New Line Cinema is also in the store. K is working on others.

Jim

Well, New Line Cinema is coming. They signed a deal and the catalog will be online "soon" but it isn't actually in the store for download today. A firm date has not been set - I expect it will take them a bit to get that many titles transferred over to Kaleidescape's servers.

I guess I am a little confused. I see two versions of all the LOR movies listed. The second version of each says it is the "extended" version. Am I missing something - or maybe these are new additions since people were asking about these to K?

John

Well, New Line Cinema is coming. They signed a deal and the catalog will be online "soon" but it isn't actually in the store for download today. A firm date has not been set - I expect it will take them a bit to get that many titles transferred over to Kaleidescape's servers.

That's correct, I should not have used "in" the store, which implies currently available. I responded too quickly to the question of which studio's are currently "onboard" with the Store.

Jim

I guess I am a little confused. I see two versions of all the LOR movies listed. The second version of each says it is the "extended" version. Am I missing something - or maybe these are new additions since people were asking about these to K?

John

Yes, new additions to the store, but there is no "go disc free" option for these titles (not that I can find in my Store account). I guess if someone wanted to eliminate their physical disc from the vault they could "re-buy" the title for $15.99, but personally I'll pass.

Jim

I went disc free on my LOtR titles that I had already owned on BR, although they were not the extended versions. I actually prefer the theatrical cuts.

Yes, new additions to the store, but there is no "go disc free" option for these titles (not that I can find in my Store account). I guess if someone wanted to eliminate their physical disc from the vault they could "re-buy" the title for $15.99, but personally I'll pass.

Jim

Thanks Jim. That clarifies it.

John

Back