• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Offering HEVC encoded versions of SD and HD titles.

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
High Efficiency Video Codec (HVEC) used for encoding 4K UHD discs and 4K UHD streams could reduce the total file size of SD and HD files by up to %50. I understand the Premiere line up can not decode HEVC. For backwards compatibility, all SD and HD titles are still in Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-4 respectively. Strato and Terra should have no problems taking advantage of this codec for offering more number of SD and HD titles without expanding the storage size. This would give further incentives to upgrade to Strato/Terra from an old Premiere system. With the files sizes smaller up to %50, the download times would also improve proportionally.

I understand Kaleidescape benefits from larger file sizes because as our libraries expand we are forced to buy more servers. I also know a lot of people simply don’t buy any SD or HD titles because they want use their precious storage space for 4K UHD titles. More efficiently sized SD and HD titles could encourage these customers to make more purchases other than 4K titles only.

I have a Premiere system with 72TB and a Terra with 72TB. Soon I want to add another Terra with 72 TB and I feel in the long run, even that won’t cut it. I won’t say the cost of multiple servers is not an issue as they are very expensive but the power consumption, the heat they generate and the space they take up is equally disturbing. A big reason for me to move to Kaleidescape from the physical media was the smaller footprint.

I hope to get support from other owners and Kaleidescape for this. Not every movie is available in 4K UHD and I really wish I could fit more HD to my servers. The physical media is forced to follow the Blu-ray discs specifications. Kaleidescape is a proprietary system which can make such changes especially since the hardware is already there.

Optimizing space is definitely a worthy cause, but I think this solution comes at too high a price...
The problem this would cause is that then K needs to have two copies of the SD/HD content (legacy & HEVC, including making two new files every time they needed to post an update) or store content could no longer be downloaded on Premiere servers. Personally, I'm not in favor of the latter and wouldn't expect K to expend the resources on the former.

Back