• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

"Now Showing" Poster app - Roomie

Anyone come across this before? Says 4 years old but I swear I've never seen it come up on the Mac App Store.

Says it integrates with K

‎Now Showing – Movie Poster TV

View attachment 3501
Did you recently get a new Mac? I believe it’s an iOS app, which means it would only show up if you’re using an M1 Mac. It’s also possible the developer only recently marked it as M1 compatible, causing it to just recently become visible.

I do have M1 but this appears to have dedicated Mac, iPhone and iPad apps. Lists and describes as such.

CleanShot 2023-03-15 at 01.49.17@2x.pngCleanShot 2023-03-15 at 01.51.31@2x.png

Surprisingly, using a Mac mini to run the roomie and the ‘now showing’ app as a single client works very well with Kaleidescape.
The apps (running behind the scenes) detect when a K movie is playing and will display the corresponding movie poster via the TV in portrait mode.
Control4 is still being used as the main source of remote and can be programmed to switch the TV into portrait art mode when the movie stops (displaying customised posters).

Attachments

• AEFE28EC-4D69-4418-A962-35899B4E3E7A.jpeg
    AEFE28EC-4D69-4418-A962-35899B4E3E7A.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 489CB719-86D3-49C1-A64D-DCB59A9AF7FA.jpeg
    489CB719-86D3-49C1-A64D-DCB59A9AF7FA.jpeg
    847.8 KB · Views: 53
  • CAB269EF-9D2D-463D-84F3-50497D44FAB5.jpeg
    CAB269EF-9D2D-463D-84F3-50497D44FAB5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • 01C2BEF8-4470-4540-A441-A902D37D2AF5.jpeg
    01C2BEF8-4470-4540-A441-A902D37D2AF5.jpeg
    956 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Surprisingly, using a Mac mini to run the roomie and the ‘now showing’ app as a single client works very well with Kaleidescape.
The apps (running behind the scenes) detect when a K movie is playing and will display the corresponding movie poster via the TV in portrait mode.
Control4 is still being used as the main source of remote and can be programmed to switch the TV into portrait art mode when the movie stops (displaying customised posters).
What kind of screen did you use for the display (can you link one); where is the Mac mini physically located in your setup?

Thanks!

What kind of screen did you use for the display (can you link one); where is the Mac mini physically located in your setup?

Thanks!
I’m using a Samsung Frame 32” connected to my control4 system via an ir emitter (the smaller model isn’t IP). When the Strato player turns on, the Frame TV will receive the signal via control4 and switch on.
The Frame TV is connected to the Mac via HDMI and is running a single roomie client which detects the K wall art. In turn, the showtime app detects the roomie state and displays the poster on screen. I’m not using Roomie other than the auto detection of the kaleidoscape player.
The Mac mini is located in my server room and is always on.
Showtime documentation - Now Showing – QuickStart Guide - Roomie Remote
Let me know if you need more info.

I’m using a Samsung Frame 32” connected to my control4 system via an ir emitter (the smaller model isn’t IP). When the Strato player turns on, the Frame TV will receive the signal via control4 and switch on.
The Frame TV is connected to the Mac via HDMI and is running a single roomie client which detects the K wall art. In turn, the showtime app detects the roomie state and displays the poster on screen. I’m not using Roomie other than the auto detection of the kaleidoscape player.
The Mac mini is located in my server room and is always on.
Showtime documentation - Now Showing – QuickStart Guide - Roomie Remote
Let me know if you need more info.
Awesome write up—it’s really helpful

Do you pay for a roomie remote subscription to get access to the enhanced features like time remaining etc?

Awesome write up—it’s really helpful

Do you pay for a roomie remote subscription to get access to the enhanced features like time remaining etc?

You need a single roomie and showtime client subscription. There are some free trials available if you fancy giving it a go.
The showtime app offers lots of customisable features when displaying posters such as time left and scrolling text on the bottom of the screen (spec of your cinema room).
As the frame TV is in my demo room, I ended up working with the Roomie team to remove all banners from poster artwork as it was a little distracting when watching a movie.

I would also recommend the Samsung Frame as it has a thin profile and the screen has a matte look with no reflection. It really does look like a poster frame. Plus you can display your own artwork (movie posters) when the TV is off.

Back