• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Not K Scape hardware but awesome new Vizio displays

JerryL

WOW- 21:9 is the dream (its 2.35:1).

http://technabob.com/blog/2011/01/05/vizio-ultra-widescreen-hdtv/

VIZIO Ultra-Widescreen LED LCD HDTVs Revealed. Want.

vizio_21_9_widescreen_display.jpg

If there?s one company that I was waiting for to make another LED LCD HDTV, it?s VIZIO. Their new ultra-widescreen 21:9 cinemawide HDTV supports up to 2,560 ? 1,080 resolution.

The utlra-widescreen moniker means that these HDTVs can display native 2.35:1 CinemaScope movies without any black bars, which is really cool. Although this means that anything that?s not in 2.35:1 ratio will have some kind of bars, or the picture will have to be stretched. You can?t win them all.

Still, most blockbuster movies are released in this aspect ratio, so that?s not a problem unless you watch many TV shows. Even then, most of shows are shot in widescreen 16:9 formats these days, so the bars won?t be that big. The sets will also feature passive-lens 3D technology, built-in 802.11n WiFi and Vizio?s Internet App capabilities.
The HDTVs will come in 50-inch (XVT3D500CM) and 58-inch (XVT3D580CM) edge-lit LED models, and they?re showing off a prototype of a gigantic 71-inch model with local dimming at CES this weee

010511_rg_VIZIOUltraWidescreen_01.jpg

Liked the concept after seeing the Philips set last year, but I'd like to see larger sets. Even a 71" diag.2.35 is about 56" 16:9, but still :cool:.

Jim

This isn't for the game watcher- this is for the movie watcher. For the game watcher you have the 153" Panny. :)

Good point!:)

(I've decided to pick up the 152" when it is released. Hoping it incorporates some of the Pio stuff, we'll see soon enough.)

Jim

Will do.:)

Jim

Well...the 152" can be delivered in 3-4 weeks after ordering. I've got to make a trip to the house to see what needs to be done for installation. I'm waiting for more info from Panasonic regarding shipping/packing details, and an installation weight verification.:)

Jim

I guess I wasn't kidding about taking out a wall. Our contractor indicates installation will require removing a section of exterior wall to get the panel inside. Unfortunately, that also requires removing rock from the lower half of the wall. Initial estimate to do that and reinforce the interior is $12-$15k.

The things we do for this hobby.....:(.

Jim

Well, looks like we'll have to wait for one of our wealthy forum members to report on the 152" Panny. I expected to pay no more than $375K (Retail is $500K), but they are not discounting these very much at all, and at $475K it's difficult to justify when I can build a larger screen, probably better, FP setup for less than $200K. The construction installation was reasonable, but $475K for the panel..........Bummer.:(

I may change my mind after seeing one of these in a good setup, we'll see.:)

Jim

I think youre doing pretty well Jim if youre buying a display for more than 5 figures- never mind healthily into 6 figures!

Well, looks like we'll have to wait for one of our wealthy forum members to report on the 152" Panny. I expected to pay no more than $375K (Retail is $500K), but they are not discounting these very much at all, and at $475K it's difficult to justify when I can build a larger screen, probably better, FP setup for less than $200K.

Well, I was going to put one in my Gulfstream IV jet but it wouldn't fit and I couldn't justify the cost of getting a larger jet for the panel, so I guess we will have to wait a little bit longer.

I was going to wish you well on your forthcoming installation but that sentiment is unfortunately redundant. I expect these panels will be appearing in TV studios over the coming months...interesting to see how they perform in a harsh environment.

$475K is more than I was expecting.... I hear that a new mobile entertainment system will be released from Sant'Agata shortly at a similar price point.

I believe Panasonic have tight control over the pricing of their Pro Panels. I read somewhere Panasonic thought Pioneer had lost control of their pricing allowing their Kuro panels to compete on price with inferior products.

I have spent a few hours in front of a 65" VX100 in a good room and was impressed. I am expecting a good viewing experience from the new range.

The new Lamborghini is supposed to be amazing- I havent been a fan in the past (sans the Miura)- but this new one I think I am going to like it.

Apparently the order book is very healthy after the various viewings that have taken place. Lamborghini are trying hard to keep speculators away from the early cars....the consensus seems be the exterior works well and the interior is a big move forward.

Well, looks like we'll have to wait for one of our wealthy forum members to report on the 152" Panny. I expected to pay no more than $375K (Retail is $500K), but they are not discounting these very much at all, and at $475K it's difficult to justify when I can build a larger screen, probably better, FP setup for less than $200K. The construction installation was reasonable, but $475K for the panel..........Bummer.:(

I may change my mind after seeing one of these in a good setup, we'll see.:)

Jim

Will you adopt me :D

I was going to wish you well on your forthcoming installation but that sentiment is unfortunately redundant. I expect these panels will be appearing in TV studios over the coming months...interesting to see how they perform in a harsh environment.

$475K is more than I was expecting.... I hear that a new mobile entertainment system will be released from Sant'Agata shortly at a similar price point.

I believe Panasonic have tight control over the pricing of their Pro Panels. I read somewhere Panasonic thought Pioneer had lost control of their pricing allowing their Kuro panels to compete on price with inferior products.

I have spent a few hours in front of a 65" VX100 in a good room and was impressed. I am expecting a good viewing experience from the new range.

Yes, the price is a bit higher than I expected as well, and that $475K is in the "dealer" cost range. I don't see these panels selling for less than retail ($500K). I guess if you are comfortable at $475K, then $500K probably doesn't matter.

I'm getting ready to build out another viewing room in one of our mainland homes and although had planned on a FP setup, I was willing to give the 152 a shot, but not at $475K.:(

Jim

Yes, the price is a bit higher than I expected as well, and that $475K is in the "dealer" cost range. I don't see these panels selling for less than retail ($500K). I guess if you are comfortable at $475K, then $500K probably doesn't matter.

Agreed...

I'm getting ready to build out another viewing room in one of our mainland homes and although had planned on a FP setup, I was willing to give the 152 a shot, but not at $475K.:(

Jim

Awww, come on, be a sport...

Back