• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Not all 4K D2D upgrades showing in downloads? - UK Store

jont-uk

Hi - was helping an elderly friend of mine re-update his K system and there were a few cheap (£4.63) updates from the BD disc in the catalog to the 4k HDR version which we purchased (key was Bladrunner), as well as the Matrix quadrilogy and also a few movie updates to those already in his system.

However the download window is only showing HD upgrades for Bladerunner when I/we selected and purchased the 4K upgrade - will these come down separately or is there a glitch in the system?

Happy to provide s/nos acc. details if anyone from K needs to reach out ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 15.59.58.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 15.59.58.png
    411.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 16.46.48.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 16.46.48.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
What do you see when you click on the “Download” button? That should show all the available versions.

Can't check now as away from the K - but the second screenshot shows we bought the 4K but the first screen shot shows the HD being downloaded ? ... just seems odd ... the 'My Movies' option on the portal says UHD so hoping it is that and was just a download badge bug ?

You don’t need to be with the system to download. You should be able to just go to kaleidescape.com -> manage -> my movies, find the movie and hit the download button. That will tell you what versions are available and you can download any available versions from that screen.

Thanks but unfortunately it doesn't show the versions when I do kaleidescape.com -> manage -> my movies -> Bladerunner -> Downloads

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13.44.54.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13.44.54.png
    1 MB · Views: 14
The photo shows you have the 4K version downloaded to 'Cabin'. HDR version won't show on the screen when you look at the movie list if your TV / Screen can't handle HDR.
Perhaps I misunderstood the point.

The photo shows you have the 4K version downloaded to 'Cabin'. HDR version won't show on the screen when you look at the movie list if your TV / Screen can't handle HDR.
Perhaps I misunderstood the point.
Mark - it was the fact that the download icon showed a blue HD (blu-ray quality) rather than a yellow UHD icon - when I had bought the UHD 'upgrade' along with others that did show the UHD icon ... see screenshot below:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13.50.16.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 13.50.16.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 7
The Store will not queue a resolution that it believes is not supported. Is it possible that something was going on with your AV gear prior to the download that may have caused your K player to not believe UHD was supported (e.g., cables swapped, setting changes, equipment swap, HDMI switched to another display that only supports HD, etc.)?

If that is not a possibility, I can't think of any reason the UHD version would not have been selected (especially if that is what typically happens). You can of course manually choose the UHD version next time, but you may want to ask K support to investigate if it continues to happen.

Good luck,
Andy

The Store will not queue a resolution that it believes is not supported. Is it possible that something was going on with your AV gear prior to the download that may have caused your K player to not believe UHD was supported (e.g., cables swapped, setting changes, equipment swap, HDMI switched to another display that only supports HD, etc.)?

If that is not a possibility, I can't think of any reason the UHD version would not have been selected (especially if that is what typically happens). You can of course manually choose the UHD version next time, but you may want to ask K support to investigate if it continues to happen.

Good luck,
Andy
Hi @andy - no nothing changed and the other UHD updates were bought within minutes of the Bladerunner one ... strangely when I look at the movie poster in 'my movies' it shows a yellow flag and says we have the HDR version even though the blue badge on the download confirmation says HD for Bladerunner (although UHD for the others) as per screenshot above ... and technically the HDR badge icon is black on the info screens too so there does appear to be some visual bugs on the store functionality ... maybe somebody from Kaleidescape who is on here can comment officially and clarify ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 22.20.23.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 22.20.23.png
    848.2 KB · Views: 7
Blade Runner is only available in HDR, HD, and SD qualities. Based on what has been posted and what I can see in the various screenshots above, the system in question likely only supports UHD (i.e. 4K SDR). Notice that all 4K downloads in the screenshots above are showing the "UHD" badge. Since Blade Runner isn't available in UHD, the download defaulted to HD since HDR doesn't appear to be supported on the connected system.

That's somewhat speculative on my part without looking at the logs and other information available for the system but based on what I see above that's the most likely scenario.

Last edited:
Hi @andy strangely when I look at the movie poster in 'my movies' it shows a yellow flag and says we have the HDR version even though the blue badge on the download confirmation says HD for Bladerunner (although UHD for the others) as per screenshot above
We refer to that as the "ownership snipe". That snipe does not indicate what version you have downloaded to your system. That snipe indicates the highest quality you own the title in. Since you did, indeed, purchase the HDR version, that is the snipe that displays. To see what version you have actually present on your system you need to look at the bottom of the detail sheet. For example, this screenshot shows that one system has the movie downloaded in 4K HDR but the other system has a DVD version imported:
1705497355224.png
... and technically the HDR badge icon is black on the info screens too so there does appear to be some visual bugs on the store functionality ... maybe somebody from Kaleidescape who is on here can comment officially and clarify ?
That is not a bug. There are two different quality badges for 4K content. The "UHD" badge (black text on a gold background) and the "HDR" badge (gold text on a black background). These are two distinct versions of the movie. When you look at the detail sheet for a movie in the store, those badges indicate what qualities are available for download. So in the case of Blade Runner:
1705497735088.png
you can see that the badging indicates that the movie is available to download in HDR, HD, and SD but not UHD. Whereas Blade Runner 2049:
1705497838638.png
is available to download in HDR, UHD, HD, and SD.

Last edited:
Back