• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Next b-movie and a sci-fi hidden gem review poll

Which one of these films would you want me to review here?

• Lifepod (1993)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Moontrap (1988)

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Substance

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
I started a series of reviews for bad movies and/or bad home video releases about a month ago. You can see my first review, Slipstream (1989) in the link below.

I plan to review another film in the next weeks. I narrowed my list down to 2 contenders as follows.

Lifepod (1993) is a made for television film which is the re-imagination of the Alfred Hitchcock film Lifeboat (1944) happening in space. Ron Silver, Robert Loggia, CCH Pounder and Stan Shaw makes up some of this film’s very talented cast. This film never got an HD home video release in any markets. I don’t own the Echo Bridge‘s DVD release. I will use my copy of the superb Laserdisc pressed by Mitsubishi for the Japanese market.

IMG_0417.jpeg

Moontrap (1989) is sci-fi movie about returning to the moon 20 years after the Apollo 11 landing. Walter Koenig (Star Trek) and Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead) are the main cast. For many years, this film was absent from home video other than an early VHS release. Olive Films release it on Blu-ray disc in 2014 but it was sourced from that early VHS tape. So it definitely qualifies it to one of the worst home video releases.

IMG_0415.jpeg

The highest voted film will be reviewed next. I am including the links for some really good related films I selected from the Kaleidescape store.

(Not so)Bonus: Ironically, Moontrap: Target Earth, a sequel to Moontrap (1989) was released in 2017. Unfortunately, this film doesn’t belong to ‘It is so bad, it‘s good‘ category. It was an hour and a half, I will never get back in my life.

Last edited:
I mean, without a review of the sequel, doing Moontrap would just be a tease. Ultimately both look to have very strong pedigrees for being cultably terrible.

So far no votes :)

I will change my approach a bit. I will pick a bad movie from the Kaleidescape store and review it here. I am thinking Solar Crisis (1990).

If you have seen Sunshine (2007), the stories are very similar.

There is also a Japanese cut known as Crisis 2050 with 7 additional minutes of content and wider aspect ratio. Fortunately, I own this too so I can compare it to the US cut found on the Kaleidescape store.

Crisis 2050.jpg

Runner up: Critters 3 (1991) with Leonardo DiCaprio.

Back