• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

Newby needs help

Portkins

Hi
I have wanted Kalaidescape for years but it was out of reach financially when they first came out.
I stumbled across this forum and was excited to see units for sale. With the changes made over the years in equipment, I think I will jump in but am not sure what I need. I want to be able to watch DVD and Bluray (I understand the Bluray needs to be loaded even to play from the HD).
Anyway can anyone help guide me in terms of what is the minimum I can purchase to accomplish that?

I sent a PM to 2 people and never heard back so I may be asking the wrong questions.

Thanks for any help.

1. To store your content you need a server, most owners here either have one (or more) 1U or 3U server. The 1U server needs a minimum of 2 disc cartridges, the 3U server needs a minimum of 3. The current spec disc cartridge is the 2TB capacity, other sizes are 750GB and 1TB.
2. To playback your content you need a player, and to play back BR you need an M-Class player. The player connects to the server via a network switch.
3. To get your content onto the server any player can do that, except the M-300 also needs a KVAULT-10 attached to it, and only then it will import BR (but not DVD or CD).
4. Once DVD's are imported to the server that's it, no further requirement after that. To playback a BR the physical disc needs to be stored in a device (KVAULT-10 or M-700) on the network.
That's basically it in a nutshell.

The cheapest way to get into this is with the Cineama One. It now has 4 - 1TB drives that will hold 450 DVDs. It also has a built in player that will play both DVDs and CD's but not blu-rays. It also supports two other music zones.

I went this way and have now added an M700 vault for blu-rays. Of course, now I am running out of space and will be looking to upgrade to a larger server.

John

1. To store your content you need a server, most owners here either have one (or more) 1U or 3U server. The 1U server needs a minimum of 2 disc cartridges, the 3U server needs a minimum of 3. The current spec disc cartridge is the 2TB capacity, other sizes are 750GB and 1TB.
2. To playback your content you need a player, and to play back BR you need an M-Class player. The player connects to the server via a network switch.
3. To get your content onto the server any player can do that, except the M-300 also needs a KVAULT-10 attached to it, and only then it will import BR (but not DVD or CD).
4. Once DVD's are imported to the server that's it, no further requirement after that. To playback a BR the physical disc needs to be stored in a device (KVAULT-10 or M-700) on the network.
That's basically it in a nutshell.

Good post. Also worth mentioning is that you can no longer specify the Qty of hard drives in the servers when purchasing new. The smaller 1U comes in one flavor and that is maxed out for 150 BR Discs (900 DVD's). The 3U is available in 2-- 300/600 BR Discs (1800/3600 DVD's).

Hi
I have wanted Kalaidescape for years but it was out of reach financially when they first came out.
I stumbled across this forum and was excited to see units for sale. With the changes made over the years in equipment, I think I will jump in but am not sure what I need. I want to be able to watch DVD and Bluray (I understand the Bluray needs to be loaded even to play from the HD).
Anyway can anyone help guide me in terms of what is the minimum I can purchase to accomplish that?

I sent a PM to 2 people and never heard back so I may be asking the wrong questions.

Thanks for any help.

Here is the answer to your specific question:

1 KSERVER 1500 with at least (2) 750 KDISK
1 KPLAYER 5000

They popup on here and ebay all the time. If you are new to KSCAPE, I would NOT buy new as it does break the bank for a technology that has been around awhile, but is so highly protected that the price remains artificially inflated. They are great products, don't get me wrong, but start with a used system from the Marketplace here or off eBay.

Last edited:
I started my system via e-bay, added to it through the forum marketplace and bought some new items via my local dealer. Once you have a KSCAPE system you will wonder how you lived without one.

I started my system via e-bay, added to it through the forum marketplace and bought some new items via my local dealer. Once you have a KSCAPE system you will wonder how you lived without one.

That's exactly what I did as well!

Here is the answer to your specific question:

1 KSERVER 1500 with at least (2) 750 KDISK
1 KPLAYER 5000

To be clear, the KPLAYER 5000 does *NOT* play Blu-ray discs. You will need an M500 Player in order to be able to play Blu-ray.

To be clear, the KPLAYER 5000 does *NOT* play Blu-ray discs. You will need an M500 Player in order to be able to play Blu-ray.

Yes and in addition you need a vault. Either the kvault that holds 100 bluray or the m700 that holds 320 and if you go with the m700 you don't need a player since that is also a m player.

...and he'll need a fully loaded 1U server and not just one with 2 or 3 discs if intending to import BR

Back