• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Newbie with questions

htroberts

I like the Kscape system, but would not choose to purchase one at retail price. I am thinking, however, of buying used pieces (i.e. off eBay) to assemble my own.

We have ~200 DVDs and ~80 Blu-ray discs. I'd like to be able to at least double that without swapping hardware, so I think I want either a 1U or 3U server, a DV700 vault, and a couple of players. I have ~30 UK DVDs and would buy a READER set to region 2, if I found one cheaply.

- what happens if I put a KPLAYER-6000 (not an M), for example, into a system that has Blu-Ray movies? My guess is that it will play DVD images but not the Blu-Ray ones.
- how important is dealer support?
- how does Kaleidescape sell support? Is it included as part of the purchase price? or is there a subscription model where you renew periodically?
- any issues with transferring registration of a system to a new owner? How is that done?
- any gotchas that wouldn't be obvious for someone who doesn't yet own a system to ask about?

Thanks in advance...

I like the Kscape system, but would not choose to purchase one at retail price. I am thinking, however, of buying used pieces (i.e. off eBay) to assemble my own.

We have ~200 DVDs and ~80 Blu-ray discs. I'd like to be able to at least double that without swapping hardware, so I think I want either a 1U or 3U server, a DV700 vault, and a couple of players. I have ~30 UK DVDs and would buy a READER set to region 2, if I found one cheaply.

- what happens if I put a KPLAYER-6000 (not an M), for example, into a system that has Blu-Ray movies? My guess is that it will play DVD images but not the Blu-Ray ones.
- how important is dealer support?
- how does Kaleidescape sell support? Is it included as part of the purchase price? or is there a subscription model where you renew periodically?
- any issues with transferring registration of a system to a new owner? How is that done?
- any gotchas that wouldn't be obvious for someone who doesn't yet own a system to ask about?

Thanks in advance...

1. Correct, non-M Class Player's will only playback DVD (and CD) content, they will not playback BR.

2. Dealer support is CRITICAL, the single most important element related to K ownership!!! (I'm a dealer....:D) Seriously, a dealer is NOT required, but without a dealer you will be buying from K directly for any future purchases, assuming you buy new. This means full retail (but that's true with most dealer's as well). If you are competent in the operations of computers and basic networking (or are willing to hire someone that is), then a dealer becomes less important. K dealer's are not all the same, there are some excellent dealers and some good dealers, there are also poor dealers, but K is working hard to eliminate these dealerships. Keep in mind that dealer's are in business, usually AV related, and expect to support K systems that THEY sold. Many are not interested in being your dealer when you've already purchased the main components of your system elsewhere and are now coming to them for system monitoring and the occassional KDISK purchase to increase content. That said, some are fine with that.

3. K Support is simple, it is a warranty based support just like most in this industry. You get support for any K component, in or out of warranty, but you pay for actual repairs on out-of-warranty components. There is no charge for answering questions, but you can also find most answers in this forum or in K's FAQ, or by asking for specific help in our forum. This is not the Apple model (pay and you are supported, if not, good luck).

4. Transferring ownership is easy, just need an email to support identifying the system (Server Serial Number), and then going to the registration section online and completing the requested info. (It helps to have the original owner contact K Support to report the change, but not absolutely necessary.)

5. No issues that I'm aware of other than caveat emptor (buyer beware) when buying from ebay. If you find a component on ebay it's best to request the Serial Number and then run that history to determine if there have been issues with the component and to verify it is really a K component (I've done this dozens of times for folks and have found at least three "fake" component sales, and a few damaged goods sales).

Hope that helps.

Jim

Back