• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Newbie question about movie deletion

nineball

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Although I am new to K I have enough technical background to get me in trouble, sometimes.........

I have a MDV Vault that is full. My IDV is coming this or next week I hope. I have a 3U fully populated. I have loaded two sets of Lord of The Rings, one of them being the Extended Version. If I delete one of them (four or five disks) is there a recommended procedure or process to prevent disk fragmentation? Or does the K-Raid take care of that?

Peter

Hi Peter, deleting one set is obviously not a problem. Delete form both the movie list and the trash can (although deleting from the trash can isn't really necessary because the Server will do that automatically to free up space, I still do both). That will also show you (on the web utility User home page) how much space you now have for storing content.

The op system handles the fragmentation, AFAIK, there is nothing you can do about that, and in my experience it doesn't matter.

Jim

Hi Peter, deleting one set is obviously not a problem. Delete form both the movie list and the trash can (although deleting from the trash can isn't really necessary because the Server will do that automatically to free up space, I still do both). That will also show you (on the web utility User home page) how much space you now have for storing content.

The op system handles the fragmentation, AFAIK, there is nothing you can do about that, and in my experience it doesn't matter.

Jim

Thanks very much for that Jim. I think your practice is a good one. I suspect the OS priories space on the basis of use in the sense that files marked for deletion are left alone until all unused space is used up first. By using the trash can it probably makes whatever frag programs work more efficiently.

Thanks again,

Peter

Yes, that's exactly how it is done (it only takes what is needed).:)

Jim

I do not think fragmentation of film files is going to be a big issue considering the size of the files is going to limit the number of times a hard drive is going to need to jump sectors just to get the data and even then, the servers are designed to handle that as they are made to feed multiple streams at once. If it can serve 25+ independant DVD titles off a single data drive, can a little bit of file fragmentation really be much of an issue?

Back