• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Use for Scenes and Scripting - Star Wars: The Force Awakens G-Rate(?) Version

JohnJ

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Start Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens - A movie in 13 Parts with a "G?" rating

I found a new use for scenes and scripting.

My son and his wife asked if I might be able so edit "Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens" so that their 4 year old daughter would be able to watch it.

It took me a while but I was able to do this and generated a movie with 13 parts (scenes). I then wrote a script and tied them all together. I eliminated
Snoke, Rathtars and minimized the violence. It worked out really well.

Last Friday night we had movie night and watched the edited version and my granddaughter loved it! She is still talking about it and asking questions.

I sure hope that we get scripting at some point on the Encore system.

John

Edit: It turned out being 1 hr 46 min long - exactly 30 minutes shorter.

Last edited:
Thats really cool! Well done! My only issue is there is a lag when moving from one scene to the next.

Awesome! How much time was "a while"?

Scripting on the Encore system may be coming soon! Demo only future for the time being....

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1405618&d=1461668775

It took about 3 to 4 hours but a lot of that was re-watching and picking what to leave out and then checking out all the scenes and how they splice together. I am a little picky.

Thanks for the update and links for scripting on the Strato. That's encouraging!

John

Thats really cool! Well done! My only issue is there is a lag when moving from one scene to the next.

Yes, the slight delay is the main drawback. It reminded me of TV series where you have the blank spot for commercials to be inserted. It wasn't too bad and I stopped noticing after the first couple.

John

I have long mentioned a great use of this is to re-edit Star Wars Episode 1 to remove JarJar Binks from the movie.

It can be done on Premiere systems but not on Encore systems (obviously since there is no scripting capability currently).

John

Didn't know that was a feature, but I found it pretty easily. Now that I know that, it would be great if the board could host a repository of scripts! I'm sure the avid users on here have created some impressive scripts and it would be cool to get some of the most interesting.

It can be done on Premiere systems but not on Encore systems (obviously since there is no scripting capability currently).

John

Per the pdf telem posted in post 2 in this thread, it appears scripting is now working on the encore range. All you need to do is go to http://XXX.XXX.X.XXX/scripts (XXX.XXX.X.XXX is the IP address of the encore player), and you can generate a new script etc (see the screen grab below). This seems to have been rolled out in the recent kOS update to 7.1.1

attachment.php

Attachments

• Kal script.jpg
    Kal script.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 100
Yes, I saw that. I am just not sure that K will allow sharing of scripts between users on the Encore system. There seems to a lot of restrictions for 4K content.

John

Didn't know that was a feature, but I found it pretty easily. Now that I know that, it would be great if the board could host a repository of scripts! I'm sure the avid users on here have created some impressive scripts and it would be cool to get some of the most interesting.

There is a "Download" section on this forum where people can post scenes and scripts to be downloaded by other users. I have only seen scenes posted but it should handle scripts too.

The "Download" tab is one the top of the forum to the right of "User CP".

John

There is a "Download" section on this forum where people can post scenes and scripts to be downloaded by other users. I have only seen scenes posted but it should handle scripts too.

The "Download" tab is one the top of the forum to the right of "User CP".

John

Someone would have to send both, for this sort of project anyway, or the script wouldn't do any good. (Trying to remember if that's why sharing them never really took off, back in the good old days of 5-versions released of each title.)

It would be really great if there was a way to easily share scripts amongst other users.

It sure would. :)

Funny bit of trivia. I created this forum 10 years ago with the main purpose of sharing favorite scenes and scripts among users. I had found some other early Kaleidescape users who were making favorite scenes and we started sharing them amongst ourselves. Here was my first tutorial for users to create and share scene files.

The whole scripting and favorite scenes thing was (and remains) pretty arcane and there weren't enough of us who found value in it or could put the time in to making and sharing scene files. It eventually just dropped to a trickle of one or two posts per year in this section.

But it's still there... and as far as I know, you can still make FS files and export them, sharing them here for others to download. Same for scripts.

I hope Mike Kobb or John Green can comment here about the future of FS & Scripting on the various product lines.

--josh

Last edited:
Hi Josh, sorry I missed your posting. Right now, as noted above, scripting is available on Encore but you have to know how to get to it. It was added to assist dealers in giving great demos, and it may be slightly rough around the edges cosmetically, but otherwise it should be fully functional, including exporting scripts from one system and importing them to another.

No plans to announce at this time, but we do understand that it's a useful if somewhat niche feature.

Back