• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New to Kaleidescape, some simple questions

Sonicom

Hello,
I am brand new to Kaleidescape and I just got up and operational.
Some basic questions:
If you rent a film, isn't it true that rental cost can be used as a credit for purchase of the film? If so, how much time do you have to make a decision?
If you purchase a film in HD, and a 4K UHD/HDR version comes out, are you immediately upgraded? Or is there a separate cost? For example, I see SNEAKERS is in the Movie Store for $14.99...but I also know that Kino Lorber will be releasing a 4K version very soon. I know that audio formats get updated, but do films receive a video upgrade as well?
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Happy to be part of Kaleidescape!

Cheers,
Michael

Hello,
I am brand new to Kaleidescape and I just got up and operational.
Some basic questions:
If you rent a film, isn't it true that rental cost can be used as a credit for purchase of the film? If so, how much time do you have to make a decision?
If you purchase a film in HD, and a 4K UHD/HDR version comes out, are you immediately upgraded? Or is there a separate cost? For example, I see SNEAKERS is in the Movie Store for $14.99...but I also know that Kino Lorber will be releasing a 4K version very soon. I know that audio formats get updated, but do films receive a video upgrade as well?
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Happy to be part of Kaleidescape!

Cheers,
Michael

For the rentals, you can half the cost of the rental towards the purchase. This doesn’t include premium rentals.

For video upgrades, it’s a fee and it depends on the studio on what much it is.

Rentals are $8, you get $4 towards a purchase. You have 28 days to decide, and you'll get a notification with details each time it's available.

If you purchase in HD and the new version comes out, you're again given a notification of a Digital Offer to upgrade. Currently I'm sitting on a $9.99 offer to upgrade Enter the Dragon to UHD, but just watched before the update so haven't done it yet.

Upgrades to 4K vary in price depending on the studio. They can range from $3+ and in the $20 range.

Not all movies released in 4K on disc come to Kaleidescape right away, and that's true of Kino Lorber titles. Since they do some of their own 4K remasters they control those and they don't seem to go for a lot of digital releases. For example, "The Usual Suspects" is still only HD at the K-store and Kino Lorber released that disc a long time ago.

Upgrades to 4K vary in price depending on the studio. They can range from $3+ and in the $20 range.

Not all movies released in 4K on disc come to Kaleidescape right away, and that's true of Kino Lorber titles. Since they do some of their own 4K remasters they control those and they don't seem to go for a lot of digital releases. For example, "The Usual Suspects" is still only HD at the K-store and Kino Lorber released that disc a long time ago.
Interesting, thank you. Another KL example, To Live And Die in LA. It took Kino Lorber almost 2 years to finally release that title. My guess is they will try to eke out whatever revenue they can for the physical release.

Rentals are $8, you get $4 towards a purchase. You have 28 days to decide, and you'll get a notification with details each time it's available.

If you purchase in HD and the new version comes out, you're again given a notification of a Digital Offer to upgrade. Currently I'm sitting on a $9.99 offer to upgrade Enter the Dragon to UHD, but just watched before the update so haven't done it yet.
Does this offer last ad infinitum?

Is this still the case? I rented Equalizer 3, and im not seeing a price difference for the purchase.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231019_233535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231019_233535_Chrome.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 12
Is this still the case? I rented Equalizer 3, and im not seeing a price difference for the purchase.
Scratch that. I figured out it is premium. I really wish they would.label them in the app. You only see the premium notification in the website.

One thing to also remember is that some movie title rights will change studios. So a title available today may not be available tomorrow. That happened to me for The Wall - I waited too long to purchase it, and now it’s no longer available.

One thing to also remember is that some movie title rights will change studios. So a title available today may not be available tomorrow. That happened to me for The Wall - I waited too long to purchase it, and now it’s no longer available.
Interesting. If you purchase a movie and it's not downloaded to your Terra, do you lose access to it?

Incredible Hulk is currently in this state too. Once purchasable, currently not.

Interesting. If you purchase a movie and it's not downloaded to your Terra, do you lose access to it?

As noted by ht guy, there are several reasons a title may leave the Store, but regardless of the reason you will continue to have access to the version you purchased.

Jim

Back