• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Sony 4K Projector

That Sharp Elite puts out an excellent image. Considering the Pio Elites are no longer available, that's a more than acceptable replacement. We had one in here a few months agao and compared it side-by-side with the 151 Elite and 101FD Elite, and I have to say that the LCD performed very well. As you stated, the Black level is excellent as well.

Jim

Thats great news. I just replaced a 10+ year old Fujitsu 50" plasma with a Samsung PN64D8000 (64" plasma) and it is the nicest flat panel picture Ive ever seen. I will need to add another TV soon and Im torn between this plasma and the Elite 70". I've always been a plasma guy until recently when I think LED LCD has really made nice improvements. Any thoughts on the LED LCD vs plasma?

Well, in my case it came down to brightness... I needed as bright a picture as I could get in the daytime, but also appreicate good dark blacks in the evening (i.e., when I am control ambient light)... Another advantage to LCDs is they are typically thinner, weigh less, and take less power... I have never owned Plasma as I have always been afraid of burn-in. I tend to keep CNBC on in the background when working from home... Even though they have made good strides in that area, that stationary ticker bar at the bottom has always concerned me WRT burn-in...

I understand. Actually the specs on that plasma are insane (or as insane as the LCDs- these new TVs are really amazing!). Its basically the same thickness (or thinness) as the Elite. My installer has seen both and he told me the Elite is fantastic but that I would ultimately be bothered because he knows how I prefer the plasma image. Btw- burn in on plasma is real but its not nearly as bad as it used to be and I have a set that really does suffer image retention and if you watch it for a few minutes after it has that image retention, its cleared.

I think the LCDs do win in brightness. I own LCD sets too. If I was doing what you are, Id absolutely go with the LCD. For me, its watching regular TV (sitcoms, news, dramas, the occasional movie) and my room has windows but we have automated shades.

Things have really changed in the past year or so with these two competing technologies. The better LED LCD's, like the Elite mentioned above, do a much better job on off-axis viewing (drop off in contrast as the viewing angle increased) than earlier models. The better LED LCD's have also closed the gap in the area of contrast, and motion handling as well. I'm still a Plasma guy, but admit the Elite is an excellent alternative, and one I could easily live with if I needed another flat panel.

Regarding "burn-in" potential associated with some early Plasma models, this has pretty much been eliminated in current Plasma technology, and is certainly a non-issue with any of the better Plasma's available these days.

Jim

I have one of those fatally flawed, Sony SXRD rear projection sets - the Qualia 006. However, I'm fortunate I've had no problems with it and have owned it since '05. Although, I've often wondered what i would replace it with, if/when it dies. I don't have good light control in the room, so I think I'd still be looking at TV vs. PJ. The Qualia is 70", so I wouldn't want to go smaller. Actually, I'd like to go a bit larger - say 80" or 85". The Panasonic 85" 3D professional plasma display looked interesting. i was wondering if they were planning to update it any time soon. Anyone know of any other contenders in that size?

The 80" Sharp is not bad at it's price point (about $4,500 street). (80LE632U)

Saw one at a store in Indiana last year right after it's release. Looked pretty good for being in a well lit electronics store.

Jim

I've also heard that, and 85" thrown around as well. We'll see.:) I'm still liking my Pio Elites very much (even better than our 103" Panny), and I expect they'll be around quite awhile given the actual hours of use, but I would certainly consider one of the LCD Elites as a replacement when necessary.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I looked at the 80" sharp at the same time and at first was impressed with the loop of video scenes they were playing at Best Buy... I really wanted an 80-85" unit. It was very bright and reasonably priced. However, as I spent some time with it, I started to notice it looked really bad on anything that was remotely dark and any motion like football really showed of its weakness. My old Sony SXRD rear projection blew its picture away, that is until it went on the fritz... In the end, I am not sure I could live with it's image quality (the 80 incher)... The Elite simply blew it away...

There is a new 75" 8000 series Samsung LED-LCD that was announced at CES... The 55" looked very good, but the larger ones have no release date. That would certainly be a contender once it becomes available.

Matt

I didn't spend much time with the Sharp, so I'll defer to your comment.:) I saw it shortly after that Panny 103" was installed and thought the image wasn't bad at that price point, especially given the Panny 85" price point at about $20K street (at that time, no a bit cheaper). I did not have the opportunity to see any sports, the content was BR.

Jim

Back