• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Script Commands please!

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
script2.jpg

Here's a suggestion to Kaleidescape: As you can see by that final script item, I have to edit this script each time I want to change the movie or the intro or the short feature.

I'd love to see following new script commands added:
  • Play first movie in collection {X}
  • Play random item in collection {X}
  • Play random favorite scene from movie {x}
  • Play random trailer from movies in collection {x}
Wow - then I wouldn't need to edit a script for our movie nights...

A script could then play some trivia, pick a random introduction for me from my Custom Introductions disc, pick a random trailer for me, then a random DTS or Digital Dobly promo trailer, then play the movie I had put in my "Movie Night" collection.

No need to go the PC, and it would be nice to have Kaleidescape "surprise me" with a pick of some trailers and short features.

--josh

Last edited:
Very Cool. I would like to add the ability to simply check a box, "Intros + Movie" options that applies to all movie selections. Then, when I (or my guests) go to Collections and choose a movie, it's appended to the end of a Script.

Scripting is good, but spontaneously appending to what the group decides on the fly is really good. Now that toggle has to be easily accessible from the on screen menus or else you have the same problem (hassle) of a different stripe.

Both are good ideas and are the kind of things I was hoping would come out of this board.

Jeff

I would like to have those features adding to scripting as well. Those are really good ideas.

Here's a scripting type idea that I got from this thread. What about being able to create a script that is for intros which could appear as a selection in the "Play Movie", "Play Disc", "Play Trailer" list for each title? In other words, you create some type of intro script that could even have the random choosing of trailers and trivia as suggested here. You mark that script as your "Intro" script that can be called to before the playing of any title without having to create a new script for that title specifically. The script would have a placeholder for a title that gets filled in when you choose the Intro script in a specific title's play options list. Obviously, you wouldn't want to clutter the play options list with tons of such scripts, but if you had one or 2, it might be ok.

I'm thinking this makes an intro script easier to use for the average user who doesn't want to mess with the Web UI. The installer could then setup the intro script ahead of time for the user. What do you guys think?

Jeff

I think that's what many of us are asking for. The system should be more flexible and not make you go to a web interface just to swap the movie and trailers for a script. However, I doubt Kaleidescape would want to add another permanent action command to that main list since very few people would use it.

But I think with the above suggestions, I could be as simple as picking a movie, choosing "Add to Collection -> Movie Night", and then going to Scripts and choosing "Josh's Movie Night Script" and the movie would play with a random set of trivia for a set period of time, a random trailer or two, a random short feature, then the movie that was selected.

josh said:
I think that's what many of us are asking for. The system should be more flexible and not make you go to a web interface just to swap the movie and trailers for a script. However, I doubt Kaleidescape would want to add another permanent action command to that main list since very few people would use it.

But I think with the above suggestions, I could be as simple as picking a movie, choosing "Add to Collection -> Movie Night", and then going to Scripts and choosing "Josh's Movie Night Script" and the movie would play with a random set of trivia for a set period of time, a random trailer or two, a random short feature, then the movie that was selected.

Josh,

So you're saying that the "Movie Night" collection would be for specific use called by the script. Adding a specific title to Movie Night fills in the blank, so to speak. Running the Movie Night script puts the whole thing in motion as it has a placeholder for whatever is in "Movie Night". Not a bad alternative but I wonder if that would be too confusing for more basic users.

In your example, the installer could still setup the "Movie Night" collection and the "Movie Night Script", but the user still has to remember to add the title to the collection first (and also remember to remove whatever may be there already) and then run the script. I know, it sounds pretty straightforward and trivial, but I know quite a few folks that would stumble with that. Hence my add to action list suggestion for simplicity's sake. Perhaps K could come up with something even more clever though.

Jeff

rgbyhkr said:
Josh,

So you're saying that the "Movie Night" collection would be for specific use called by the script. Adding a specific title to Movie Night fills in the blank, so to speak. Running the Movie Night script puts the whole thing in motion as it has a placeholder for whatever is in "Movie Night". Not a bad alternative but I wonder if that would be too confusing for more basic users.

In your example, the installer could still setup the "Movie Night" collection and the "Movie Night Script", but the user still has to remember to add the title to the collection first (and also remember to remove whatever may be there already) and then run the script. I know, it sounds pretty straightforward and trivial, but I know quite a few folks that would stumble with that. Hence my add to action list suggestion for simplicity's sake. Perhaps K could come up with something even more clever though.

Jeff

yes, you described it the way I was thinking, and you're right on the usage. Your method may be better.

I wasn't thinking this should be built in (and therefore confuse people)... but if those script commands were added, I could accomplish what I wanted for a "variable" script by just using the existing collections mechanism.

your method is definitely easier for the casual user.

By the way, I had one expanded idea to make use of the "random" function. Obviously, once it is implemented, you should seemingly be able to have a random choice pulled from a variety of sources (a specific collection, the entire library, all trailers, a favorite scenes list, etc). But, I wonder if you couldn't pair the random function with the K's "smart cover art shuffling" for trailers. In other words, while you could have the system pull from any trailer available or from a specified list of trailers, it might be cool to have it take from trailers of similar films. You could do something more general like have it pull a random trailer from a movie with the same primary genre as your main feature, but since the smart shuffling code is there, this could be another way to make use of it.

Just an idea.

Jeff

Since we had a bit of luck asking for a few features that DID get implemented in v3.3 (ok, maybe I'm being a bit presumptuous ;))...

Please Kaleidescape... let's see some new scripting commands in 3.4! The system is so close to being able to do a real cinematic experience with no manual script editing.

--josh

I would also like to ask for this added ability to scripts (i.e. have a choice when picking a movie to have it play a default script before the movie). There certainly seems to be a number of users asking for this and it would not appear to be too difficult to accomplish. It would be a great addition to the software. I would think that this might even be something that dealers could use in showing demoes of the K system in their showroom (a dealer could even have a script that might play a custom intro for their business).

Scott

I would like to see the ability to play "chapters" in DVDs. That way, it might be easy to set up a play list of music video songs...

Matt

Back