• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New Releases

BigHat

Just a question for those with systems of awhile.

If you buy a new release that isn't in the K system you get the request to add the UPC code, etc. If I don't care enough about it to send K the disc etc, will I get the data and cover art when someone else does if I add the UPC to the entry? Just wondering how the process works.

Thanks.

From the UPC Kaleidescape will acquire basic information about the movie which will be sent to your system. When K gets a hard copy of the movie the Movie Guide Database will be updated to include aspect ratio etc.. This information will be sent to all owners who have this movie on their system.

A couple of years ago on this very forum Tom Barnett of Kaleidescape wrote:

"If a disc imports, but is missing some or all of the information, you can either enter the UPC or loan us the disc.

Kaleidescape cannot supply the same level of service available through our loan program with only the UPC. When you loan Kaleidescape your unrecognized discs, we add the information into the Movie and Music Guide databases for you. The DVDs and CDs you loan us are processed for high resolution cover art, aspect ratio information, bookmarks, and detailed information. Kaleidescape will cover the cost of shipping your discs to and from one of our processing facilities.

You can learn more at http://www.kaleidescape.com/loan."

I usually send movies in... it helps us all in the end.

From the UPC Kaleidescape will acquire basic information about the movie which will be sent to your system. When K gets a hard copy of the movie the Movie Guide Database will be updated to include aspect ratio etc.. This information will be sent to all owners who have this movie on their system.

A couple of years ago on this very forum Tom Barnett of Kaleidescape wrote:

"If a disc imports, but is missing some or all of the information, you can either enter the UPC or loan us the disc.

Kaleidescape cannot supply the same level of service available through our loan program with only the UPC. When you loan Kaleidescape your unrecognized discs, we add the information into the Movie and Music Guide databases for you. The DVDs and CDs you loan us are processed for high resolution cover art, aspect ratio information, bookmarks, and detailed information. Kaleidescape will cover the cost of shipping your discs to and from one of our processing facilities.

You can learn more at http://www.kaleidescape.com/loan."

I usually send movies in... it helps us all in the end.

Thanks. Appreciate the post. Didn't think to look at the sticky as I assumed a new disc, per se, wasn't an import problem. It was a new mainstream artist concert so I assumed it would be one they're processing very quickly and wondered how it impact those already loaded. I'll ask K and send it in if they need it for the reasons you state.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think that this is a good question, and if I read correctly, I think that the answer is 'yes,' but wanted to post and make sure I understand. If I put in the UPC but don't send in the DVD, then someone else does later send in the DVD and Kaleidescape creates the information, at some point my system will be updated with that information?

I ask again because I didn't think that the information comes with software releases, rather, I thought that it populated my system when the DVD is importing. If that was the case, I was wondering what would spur the request to check for the information in Kaleidescape's movie database again, after the DVD had already been imported.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Steven

Movieguide updates and software (KEAOS) updates are separate entities.

The Movieguide metadata on the owners system will be updated as and when the owners collection changes to reflect the information on the K database. When K updates their Movieguide database these updates will be distributed to those owners with the relevant media in their collection.

The software (KEAOS) updates are relatively infrequent, about twice a year.

I have had cases where I emailed K about a disc, they said they would acquire it on their own and within a few days the information showed up on my system. I didn't have to send in the disc to get it entered.

K really does provide great support.

John

I have had cases where I emailed K about a disc, they said they would acquire it on their own and within a few days the information showed up on my system. I didn't have to send in the disc to get it entered.

K really does provide great support.

John

Yup, they will do this, usually on releases expected to be popular imports.:)

Jim

It is a great service (and free) and I have supplied over 700 disks to the loan service that I and many others are now benefiting from so don't be shy in that if you have disks missing bookmarks / artwork get them sent.

Back