• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

New product announcement coming soon

I find it interesting that you don't have netflix because of quality but then say you can get an iPhone for use as a portable. I think there is a disconnect between what I described and what you heard.

Considering my idea for a portable would be the exact same functionality as a Kaleidescape mini system but portable, if the iPad would kill it then it would kill a Kaleidescape system as well and I just don't see the iPad taking over Kaleidescape's market. I just envision it more of a dockable server you can take with you on vaction or trips and move your content into it via collection settings. It would be ideal for automotive installs as well. Not that I think we will see one come out, but that was just my idea. I certainly don't see the iPad holding 500GB of DVDs and CDs.

Well, netflix would not work for on my large display, where the lackluster quality would be terribly apparent. I have seen it in friends homes- I just keep my opinions to myself when they ask what I think- I frankly lie- they dont want to hear their new 60" plasma could look SOOOOOOO much better. I just say- it looks great!

Why does an ipad kill Kscape? One is a media server for a home- the other is a portable device. My point is the ipad, iphone, ipod touch, etc all exist and have a ready supply of sources- even netflix- which I am sure for the ipad would be fine- and I have considered getting an account for the ipad. Im not sure 500gb worth of storage is that far off actually.

The point is why would K enter a market where they are going to get killed? Makes no sense. The products are already there. They have no first mover ability, and they bring nothing to the table to break the barriers to entry. At home they have the interface- for now.

I think we are all going to the cloud and in the future you wont need terrabites of storage- just fast streaming. We'll get there. People are willing to still buy gadgets even in this economy.

I do not see us going to cloud storage in the future. I don't want to lose my ability to watch a movie every time I lose my internet connection. Maybe some people will, but the copies we will be pulling from the cloud will be compressed too much for my tastes - always has been and will be for quite a long time to come still.

Whatever storage the iPad has, a platter based drive will have more - most likely 16x as much. That is a big increase.

I agree. I can also see K being used- if it will be able to import Bluray without compromises from the current dvd model- on yachts and remote houses, where internet streaming is just not feasible.

Now if K offered downloadable movies- that were equal or better in every technical respect that bluray movies, well, that is a different story. But I would never want to "tune in" to a movie stream like we do FM radio, with a bunch of people over ot watch a movie, and have something drop out.

The content owners want it. It will happen. It might not be in the next 5 years- we need to get the data streaming infrastructure there first.

The content owners want it. It will happen. It might not be in the next 5 years- we need to get the data streaming infrastructure there first.

I actually wonder if filesize will always outpace available bandwidth. What if we keep getting higher and higher quality video quicker than cable co's can roll out better infrastructure. Heck, they're already trying to limit the internet.

Well, in the long run we are going to have what, 4k resolution per eye and 30fps or better recording rate?

Eventually we will reach a point where more resolution isn't going to be perceptible and then bandwidth will catch up. It may catch up before the next round of pushing higher resolution on us - especially with Hollywood being fearful of giving us even better quality.

Well I for one will never pay for that! :). If I can't own it, or "own a copy on my local server," I won't pay for it. Now netflix might be cool for an iPhone app or something, but for serious movie watching, the very concept of streaming opens up the possibility for an interuption in my movie watching experience that does not happen if I have the movie in my local sever.

My biggest issue with streaming is that Hollywood wants to be able to take it away from you. Disney wants to put stuff back in the vault. Try and buy a copy of Song of the South.

Or maybe you want to stream Star Wars and now you can only see the version that has Han Solo shoot second and have to talk to a stupid CGI Jaba.

Or you want to watch E.T. but now all the cops are carrying keys instead of guns.

That is why I want a hard copy that I have in my vault that Hollywood cannot take away from me because the director changed his mind or because the studio is now embarassed because it is politically incorrect. Should we let them take away Breakfast at Tiffany's next because of Mickey Rooney's role?

Pulling films from circulation smacks of book burning to me. Sure, the film isn't destroyed, but if we cannot see it anymore, it might as well be lost.

Hi all

I have to say that downloads whether broadband speeds are fast enough or not, is not the answer for collectors. I collect physical DVDs not intangible software. also, when we visit my parents or the inlaws for a weekend I like to take some of my kids favorite DVDs with me and not yet another piece of expensive equipment. Sometimes simplicity is best.

I can't see the manufactorers of BDs and DVDs being particulary pleased with reduced/no sales! Although that would still be years away from now. Or all the other producers involved (cover art printers, ink for cover art, etc... ) not to mention all the labor that will be lost. Or is that progress?

Im betting the new player will transfer a managed copy of BDs and many other bonus features which you may or may not like.

Panamar

Song Of The South!! :eek:

Yeah, I know you can find Song of the South via bootleg or some rare import, but it isn't sold here. If Hollywood could prevent its import, they most certainly would otherwise they would actually sell it here.

And yes, streaming does make it hard to take a copy in the car for a drive with the kids so you don't hear "are we there yet?" for hours on end.

With regards to managed copy, I suspect that managed copy is going to be something we are actually not happy with and that will be the fault of Hollywood, not Kaleidescape or anybody else but it is likely to be the hardware manufacturers who will bear the brunt of consumer ire when they are told they will have to repurchase their entire BluRay collection over again and then pay yet another fee to put it on the server.

I would like streaming in the sense of a subscription service, if the quality was good. $X per month for access to whatever - now most of this group already has thousands of movies, but as someone on the low side of collections (only 350 movies so far), it would be nice to have access to whatever you wanted on-demand (and with the K interface which is a billion times better than Cable On-demand menus), similar to many subscription music services. But I am very doubtful everyone would get on board for this anytime soon.

Sure you have Netflix streaming, but the films available aren't great (some decent TV shows, but films are second and third run...the most "recent" releases are available through Starz anyway)

Problems are that you would never have all the studios on board so the selection would never be perfect in the subscription model.

More importantly, if you are getting your internet through Comcast, for example, then (per the recent federal appeals court ruling in favor of Comcast and against the FCC) Comcast COULD have the ability to block or "slow down" services that compete with their offerings. That would definitely further complicate getting quality streaming of content (unless of course it was coming from NBC Universal).

Yeah, I know you can find Song of the South via bootleg or some rare import, but it isn't sold here.

Not sure its legit but they state that its now in the public domain!?

I find it hard to believe WD putting anything into the public domain unless their is a time limitation.... but if that was the case... could we then legally import it onto the K server?

Panamar

Song of the South is in the public domain in Japan per their copyright laws, but not here in the US.

I personally feel that the US copyright laws are just rediculous. If I develop cold fusion, I have a 20 year patent on it, but the Happy Birthday to You song which was written in 1893 and will be under copyright until 2030 in the US. Are you kidding me?! Copyright used to last for 75 years but in 1998 Congress felt it was important to extend copyright another 20 more years. I suppose in 2018 we might see a push to extend it further to protect copyright owners but seriously, 95 years for a song or movie, but only 20 for a patent on a new invention? Sorry for the rant - just annoyed at things like this being kept from the public domain while copyright owners refuse to release the material.

Help me understand??

Ok guys, as someone who was VERY close to the inner workings of this company, I have a question.

You say Blu-ray is no big deal because "everyone" has moved on to Netflix. However, you guys are the same users who rip Kaleidescape for less than perfect video quality on their current players.

So which is it; do you want the best video quality possible, or the instant gratification and convenience of VOD with crappy video quality??? You can't have both (yet!).

I think it depends on who you ask. Me, personally, I'm not an audio or videophile. I don't always notice the subtle differences that drive some people mad. If the quality is DVD or better, I'm usually content.

In that case, streaming would be fine for me -- though, I don't really use any streaming services as I prefer to own my content.

I want the best quality period. I will not accept less than the best.

My feeling is with downloading K has a potential to really do it right. But I suspect that will not happen. I think most people dont really care about quality and thats a shame. I also prefer to own my content, but I think those days are coming to a close.

As to taking things with you- as more and more people have iphones/ ipads/ androids etc most will just get copies of their favorite software for these devices and there is your portability.

I think most people dont really care about quality and thats a shame.

I don't think that's the case. Someone who's never seen a theater setup or streamed something? Well sure, they're amazed just by the technology.

I think many people fall in between accepting crap and needing a picture so crisp you drool though. I think I'm in that group. My theater's projector is 720 on a 110" screen and I'm fine with that. My bedroom TV is a 40" Plasma tied to a Tivo HD. It all looks fine to me....

Now.. let a channel come in looking all "analogy" or with washed out colors and I've got a problem.

Good discussion. To some extent, these "how best to deliver content" and "at what quality" questions are driven by the marketplace. There are clearly videophiles out here (Jerry, Me, others here) that are always looking to improve the image, especially when we are using large screens (I've got two, one at 12' and one at 14'). Weaknesses in video performance are pronounced on these screens, and I've not been satisfied with what I've seen associated with current download technologies (but I'm sure these will improve going forward).

That said, most of our clients have more normal displays (40"-60"), and are a bit less concerned with getting "the best" available, probably because what is currently available is still "very good." (Certainly light years ahead of the old VHS systems!!)

I'm also a "collector," so downloads are not attractive to me unless I can own and store the content permanently, and at video quality level worth keeping.

Jim

Back